Sale of Incandescent and CFL Bulbs banned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My whole house is LED, and I have never had one burn out on me in 5 yrs. My previous place in TN was half LED (only put them in when others went out), and in the 7 or 8 years from when I started, I never had one burn out too.
But I did buy the orange box store, mostly, and a few with a 95 CRI from some unknown place online.

The only place I still use incandescent bulbs are in the oven. Putting an LED in there does not work very well. Are we not going to have lights in our ovens after the ban?

The only place I still use incandescent bulbs are in the oven. Putting an LED in there does not work very well. Are we not going to have lights in our ovens after the ban?

In Canada incandescent bulbs have been banned since 2015. I can still get the standard 40 watt bulbs for appliances. From what I've seen application specific bulbs are still available.

In Canada incandescent bulbs have been banned since 2015. I can still get the standard 40 watt bulbs for appliances. From what I've seen application specific bulbs are still available.
That's what the pa rule does

Specialty bulbs such as appliance bulbs will still be allowed.

30yrs from now they will be arguing about something else is going to destroy the planet .live and enjoy
Yes after we address one issue we will move onto the next that's how it works.

And it's not that incandescent bulbs are destroying the planet. But it's a relatively easy place to save quite a bit of energy simply by switching to a superior product

I must admit, I got a bad batch of Osram/Sylvania LED lamps early on before LEDs were mainstream. They were 18" long undercabinet style lights. I had to order a case of them online from a distributor and everyone was crap. I tried to get a refund but all I got was a runaround.

I must admit, I got a bad batch of Osram/Sylvania LED lamps early on before LEDs were mainstream. They were 18" long undercabinet style lights. I had to order a case of them online from a distributor and everyone was crap. I tried to get a refund but all I got was a runaround.
I have certainly had a few bad ones as well. But overall I have been very happy

30yrs from now they will be arguing about something else is going to destroy the planet .live and enjoy
Or we will be witnessing the inevitable that occurs with deferred attention. Global systems have massive inertia and do not reverse quickly once set into motion.

I have certainly had a few bad ones as well. But overall I have been very happy
I had one bad Philips bulb early on which they quickly replaced under warranty. And there was one bad GE bulb that burned out in 1 day. The store replaced that one. Since then I have had nothing but success. That said, I had CFL failures too.

I date all of our replacement bulbs so that when they fail I have a lifetime comparison to incandescents and CFLs that preceded them.

Reactions: Ashful
I've been actively replacing some of the CFL bulbs our homes previous owners left (we agreed to take most of their furniture)

Biggest reason for me is dimmability and the warm up time CFLs have. I've been going with frosted glass LED filament bulbs mostly, had too many plastic LED bulbs start to crack overtime.

I did pull a monster of an old LED bulb out of the guest bathroom exhaust fan last week. Never had a bulb feel so heavy.
PXL_20230328_025242122.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, the only CFL's we had in this home were in the basement (where the stove is too). It's a walk-out with a door to the garage. They had CFL tubes there, resulting in "light on, walk 6 meters, light off" usage of these. That is really poor for CFLs (which do best when running long, hence office/industry using them a lot, before LEDs came into vogue).
First thing I did was replacing those with LED tubes. Fantastic, immediately bright, and no (t much) efficiency loss at the start up as the CFL tubes had.