9hp Briggs Vanguard on splitter No spark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Ok I need some help with my 9hp Briggs vanguard. This engine has never given me any problem till now. I went to start it last week and would not start. I checked for spark. no spark, Replaced plug, no spark. I bought a new coil, no spark. I cleaned the fly wheel to bright clean metal, no spark . I disconnected the on/off switch no spark. Iam lost!!!! Please help. Any Ideas ???? Also there is NO low oil shut down Thanks Frank

Are you checking for spark with plug outside cylinder and threads grounded on fins?

I was thinking you may have spark but flywheel key had slipped, so it was mis-timed. Coil module properly gapped? I just use a business card.
New plug bad? New coil bad?

Reactions: Fred Wright
There is no adjustment for coil pack just 2 bolt holes I removed the fly wheel a few times today, key is in good shape, no slippage. I was thinking maybe a bad coil pack

bad coil pack
Seems most likely if flywheel magnets are good. When they spin fast by 2 coil pickups - gotta make a big charge (unless coil module grounded). What is engine model/code?

Try different plugs - cheap or no cost test. And the new plug connector is making good contact with the coil wire?

I tried a couple different times today with the plug connector. I just ordered a new one tonight on ebay

Hopefully, new one will work.

Make sure you kill wire going to the coils isnt grounded out

Reactions: TreePointer
Ok today I put on a new spark plug spring clamp. now I have a week looking spark. I spray the carb with gumout to just because it had a little dust on the out side. It will start with carb cleaner but does not run. So now I have a carb problem also.

Maybe carb just needs cleaning. Or a rebuild kit.Or a new carb. Aftermarket carbs for Briggs 9hp look to be ~$22 on fleabay.

The first thing I usually do on a small gas engine if they dont run is shoot a little starting fluid in the carb. If it fires its more than likely a carb problem. If it doesnt fire its something in the ignition system. If it has fire and wont hit with the starting fluid, thats when I do a compression test and a cylinder leak down test

YES the splitter is up and running. After the spark problem, there was water in the fuel tank from all the rain we have been have and a bad fuel gauge seal. After clean out the tank and fuel bowl, she ran great. I split about 1 cord of white oak today. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.