A bargain at $870 / cord!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/grd/1470318150.html
Seems a little pricey! If you bought the $180 crap and saved it for a year it would be just as good. I wonder how much of this they sell at that price.

290.00 a face cord= 870.00 a cord

Gary

See even I was tricked! I'm gonna edit the title.

=Seems like an upscale business serving upscale clients in NYC. Website says he`s been in business 20+ years. Its obvious the guy knows his market and knows what he`s doing. If the client makes a million + a year does he really need to buy a saw and scrounge for firewood?

I tip my hat to the firewood seller.

glenng said:
=Seems like an upscale business serving upscale clients in NYC. Website says he`s been in business 20+ years. Its obvious the guy knows his market and knows what he`s doing. If the client makes a million + a year does he really need to buy a saw and scrounge for firewood?

True. Good for him if he can do it. Just makes for some crazy numbers.

BTW he hasn't been in the firewood business for 23 years, he has "23 years of service experience". His website says he did something with pools before. That's a big leap from one thing to another.

Anyway, it's kiln dried and in a nice package. if he sells to 1/3 fewer people than the regular firewood dealer, then he is still probably getting by just fine. I bet that stuff does burn nicely.

This is upscale firewood for upscale clients. I don't think many of us fall into that category. I also doubt that many of the people buying this wood are heating with wood, or the largest volume advertised wouldn't be a face cord.

glenng said:

thats exactly it, he caters to people with fireplaces and the occasional wood stove who want to seem "rustic". these people probably use less than a face cord a year, and will gladly pay that kind of money for "bug free" wood...

I line in Bucks County PA and I have a friend who is a local firewood guy. He wants to find a truck large enough to safely deliver 4 cords in one trip, 2 to 3 times a week to upstate NY. He said for that kind of $$ per cord, it'll pay for the truck, guys and still put $$ in his pocket.

Flatbedford said:
Except that it is against NY state law to bring in from another state or more than 50 miles from where it was cut.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44008.html

You can bring wood into NYS but the 50 mile rule applies. Wait till you get quarantined and EAB Nazis start running around harrassing every guy with a pile of wood in his yard.

"(b) Prohibition on Transport of Untreated Firewood into New York State.

No person shall transport, by any means, Untreated Firewood into New York State, for sale or use within the State from any location outside the State."
From
Part 192: Forest Insect Disease Control
(Statutory authority:Environmental Conservation Law, §9-1303)
Effective 11-29-06

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4079.html#44382

Not trying to argue, just backing myself up. :)

Flatbedford said:
"(b) Prohibition on Transport of Untreated Firewood into New York State.

No person shall transport, by any means, Untreated Firewood into New York State, for sale or use within the State from any location outside the State."
From
Part 192: Forest Insect Disease Control
(Statutory authority:Environmental Conservation Law, §9-1303)
Effective 11-29-06

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4079.html#44382

Not trying to argue, just backing myself up. :)

Wow ! I've seen every other law regarding wood transport but not this one. I may have to email the USDA to clarify.
I'm in the first quarantined county in NY and have had USDA and NY Dept of Ag & Markets at my yard many times over the last 3 months. According to these agencies wood can only be transported into quarantined counties of NY including from PA which borders my county. NO wood may leave the quarantine area and be trucked into PA. Kinda backwards from the link you posted.
Even had a meeting with DEC 2 weeks ago .

Maybe the NYDEC, USDA, and NY Dept of Ag & Markets aren't paying much attention to what each other are saying. I'm only reading, and linking to what I read on the DEC website. If you personally deal with these agencies, you must have better information than I do. I am curious what you find out if you talk to the folks you deal with. I don't buy or sell firewood and I don't have the time to travel more than 50 miles or across state lines for firewood. I will post no more links on this one.

glenng said:

Sorry, I'll never "tip my hat" to unmitigated greed--no matter how wealthy his clients may be...................

NP

Nonprophet said:
glenng said:

Sorry, I'll never "tip my hat" to unmitigated greed--no matter how wealthy his clients may be...................

NP

Not greed if'n his clients are satisfied with product and service!

well since we live in a capitalist country its fair game ..its called profit and if his clients are happy to pay it and i say if its legit and legal .. good for him and his family.cant really knock a guy for trying to make the most of his niche in his given area .

Well, I was at safeway the other day and saw the stacks of firewood they had for sale. Bundled. It said "seasoned" an we all know what that means. The largest split was maybe 3 inches across. The label said .75 cu feet.

So, I had to figure it out. .75 cu ft at $7 bundle. that is $1,120.00 PER CORD.

I am in the wrong business.

todd

definiteLEE said:
Nonprophet said:
glenng said:

NP

Not greed if'n his clients are satisfied with product and service!
Agreed. "unmitigated greed" is harsh. It's not like he is exploiting a captive market. No reason why you can't spend $30,000 on a kiln and maybe another $30,000 on a large capacity firewood processor and then sell for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.