A better way to say "my wood is dry"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
Been really enjoying the forums but there is one thing that tends to lead to a lot of excess posts and "fluff" in a given thread. When someone says their wood is dry there is usually a lengthy exchange of moisture content, how it was measured, room temp. I would propose a verbiage that would allow someone to demonstrate they are measuring wood moisture correctly and here is what I was thinking.

MC19RTFS

Where MC stands for moisture content, 19 stands for the percentage, RTFS stands for room temperature fresh split.

I understand new users may not use it right away but could save everyone some time.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I've had that thought after explaining moisture content too many times but then one would need to explain what the shorthand means. Now I often point folks to this thread instead:

I agree that it still would need clarification/explanation - and I've seen people use "units" when they don't know what they're talking about.

Moreover, it should then be:
MC19RTFSPPG

(Pins Parallel to the Grain)

:)

I agree that it still would need clarification/explanation - and I've seen people use "units" when they don't know what they're talking about.

Moreover, it should then be:
MC19RTFSPPG

(Pins Parallel to the Grain)

:)
Didn't even think to include that as well! If we keep going its going to take up a paragraph.

Can we make it rhyme?
You can make it into slam poetry if you like

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
I've had that thought after explaining moisture content too many times but then one would need to explain what the shorthand means. Now I often point folks to this thread instead:
I agree, but eventually like other things if it was used enough the salty vets on the site could cut through the muck a bit.

Not solving world hunger here, just a thought since burning season is coming to an end.

Honestly, if a new member comes on here and says "my wood is dry, trust me, it's definitely not the wood" I will not trust them.
If a new member came on here and said "my wood is dry, I measured it with a moisture meter on a piece that was freshly split at room temperature" then I would trust that they had measured it correctly. You don't need a shorthand or acronym to say that. Just specify how you know your wood is dry, and then nobody will bother you.

Iambic pentameter would work also.
I'm more of the scientific side (as you can see by me adding PPG boundary conditions...) rather than the art-side of things (though I can enjoy art quite well).

I agree, but eventually like other things if it was used enough the salty vets on the site could cut through the muck a bit.

Not solving world hunger here, just a thought since burning season is coming to an end.
Appreciate that. In the past we tried things like STT vs SPT for thermometer location. In response we got back ???. Same thing for an OAK.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
The dry wood haiku:

Your wood must be dry.
Cut, Split, Stacked, not Uncovered!
Two Years Happiness!

To the 🎵 of Do your ears/boobs hang low?

Is your wood cut and split?
Did you cover it in a stack?
Did you leave it in a round?
Did you leave it on the ground?
Did you give it a fresh split and bring it up to room temp?
Is my wood, dry, now?

Last edited:
Wood fire burns hot
Wood has dried for years
Look, no chimney smoke! (or) Look, no creosote!

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
There ya go Limestone!

Wood fire burns hot
Wood has dried for years
Look, no chimney smoke!
Look, no creosote!
Does it have a solid thump or a hollow ringing knock?
Is my wood, dry, now?

Last edited:
I'm more of the scientific side (as you can see by me adding PPG boundary conditions...) rather than the art-side of things (though I can enjoy art quite well).

Stoichiometry
Oxides of nitrogen bad
Best to burn dry wood