A big thanks to Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmaster

Nov 19, 2007
Columbia, Maryland
I came to you guys a couple months ago with no knowledge and the most basic of questions. You guys steered me in the right direction - told me what to line my chimney with..how to get my setup inspected. I'm happy to say I finished it all up a couple weeks ago and have been burning ever since.

To see the progress of the installation, click on this link

http://mysite.verizon.net/albert_ketler/Woodstove2.html

Thanks to all who helped out!!

Attachments

• IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 588
Congratulations toolmaster. I was wondering how the stove was going to end up. You did such a nice job refinishing it. Now it looks really good in it's new home. Are you going to trim the hearth edge in oak quarter round?

Thanks! It's so nice to be finished and be able to sit in front of a nice fire. The extended part of the heart is actually a good 2" above the flooring. I'm going to glue up a couple of 6/4 oak stock and make a nice trim piece for it. Most important was just getting everything in for the fire!! I'll post a pic once I get that trim on.

BeGreen said:
Congratulations toolmaster. I was wondering how the stove was going to end up. You did such a nice job refinishing it. Now it looks really good in it's new home. Are you going to trim the hearth edge in oak quarter round?

Sit back and enjoy man. You've done well.

Thanks much. I can get the living room (15X35ft) up to 85 on a cold day with the stove runnin wide open. It'll keep the 1st floor (1000sqft) above 70, and the second floor above 60. I'm very satisfied with it.

north of 60 said:
You have earned every BTU you will get out of that baby, & I hope thats lots of BTUs. Nice job!!! :coolsmile:

I gotta second the "thank you's." I started lurking on this site barely a week ago and learned more in a few sittings than I had in over a month of visiting dealers and looking at manufacturer websites. I am a lifelong woodburner, but my current stove is a dinosaur (a mama bear knock-off called a Roanoker) and my sweep had finally talked me into to joining the 21st century. Unfortunately one of the products of age is "analysis paralysis," so I was lost in the world of cat/non-cat/reburn/epa/etc/etc till I found this site. I narrowed quickly to the PE Summit and Jotul f600, and signed the bill yesterday on the 600, based on dealer feedback (cost of each within couple of hundred).

And y'all are a friendly bunch too! I am kind of new to this internet message stuff, but have been on another website related to another hobby (fishing) where it seems every other person is mad at the world about something or another and try to outdo each other in the smart-ss category. Y'all seem to be some mellow cats - must be having a bourbon or two sitting around your fires!

Anyway, thanks again, and I would say "stay warm," but I'm sure you all will!

Welcome, hope you will post some pictures of your Jotul.

BotetourtS said:
Y'all seem to be some mellow cats - must be having a bourbon or two sitting around your fires!

That's to be expected, as much time as we spend relaxing by our stoves!

-SF

BotetourtS said:
And y'all are a friendly bunch too! I am kind of new to this internet message stuff, but have been on another website related to another hobby (fishing) where it seems every other person is mad at the world about something or another and try to outdo each other in the smart-ss category. Y'all seem to be some mellow cats - must be having a bourbon or two sitting around your fires!

It's hard to sit around a warm fire with family (and hopefully a dog) and be too mad at the world!

Glad folks are finding out some of what they need. This place has turned into a real community where people help others with no thought of "payback".

People seem to go either way on the dutchwest stoves...I like it, but I have no experience with wood stoves. I have found it to be very straightforward to operate..and the price was right ($375). [

quote author="Corie" date="1202505928"]Gotta love a Catalytic Dutchwest. Nice job bud![/quote]

I'm a HUGE fan on the newer series of Catalytic Dutchwest stoves. If I could only find one cheap and beat up I'd have a lot of fun refurbing it and putting it in the shed.

SlyFerret said:
BotetourtS said:
Y'all seem to be some mellow cats - must be having a bourbon or two sitting around your fires!

That's to be expected, as much time as we spend relaxing by our stoves!

-SF

I prefer a nice beer, and a good pipe filled with a nice aromatic tobacco, but it's a personal choice. :coolsmile:

Dang! ---Bourbon----- Thats what I'm missing. I knew I came here for a reason. Now I gotta get up AGAIN!

Congrats on the stove install. Looks great. I really like the tent idea with the shop vac attached. Now excuse me while I go crack that bottle of woodford reserve open.

Thats funny...I just kicked a bottle of woodford reserve last night.

The new slate I installed was a bit thicker than the original slate - I had to grind down the concrete hearth a bit, and it was making an awful mess. That's where the tent comes in. I had on my respirator, full face shield and ear protection. It was such a mess, I had to clean off the face shield every couple minutes.

Jags said:
Dang! ---Bourbon----- Thats what I'm missing. I knew I came here for a reason. Now I gotta get up AGAIN!

Congrats on the stove install. Looks great. I really like the tent idea with the shop vac attached. Now excuse me while I go crack that bottle of woodford reserve open.

toolmaster said:

The new slate I installed was a bit thicker than the original slate - I had to grind down the concrete hearth a bit, and it was making an awful mess. That's where the tent comes in. I had on my respirator, full face shield and ear protection. It was such a mess, I had to clean off the face shield every couple minutes.

Jags said:

By the looks of the stove, install and choice of Bourbon, you my friend, have good taste.

looks great, what an impressive job you did.

Thanks - I guess that's all relative though.
Jags said:
toolmaster said:

Jags said:

By the looks of the stove, install and choice of Bourbon, you my friend, have good taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.