short chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nicole0908

Dec 27, 2023
Michigan
This is my first time to this forum. Are there any rules? I recently had a Quadra-Fire insert installed, so I'm not sure if I can discuss that here? But I desperately need help!!

I had it installed a couple months ago, and I haven't had a successful fire. Smoke comes into the house. The installers came back to assess the issue, fixed something, and left. Whatever they did was not successful....smoke is still coming into the house. I contacted them again and was told that I'm "dealing with a poor situation." They told me my chimney is short, and my house is tall, and I need to get the insert warmed up to get air flowing in the right direction before lighting anything with smoke. I tried to warm it up with a bernzomatic torch, but that didn't work. What else can I do to warm it up?

I'm very disappointed :( I used to have fires every evening, and I've had zero this season.

Any help or advice will be appreciated!!

Thank you!

I'm very disappointed :( I used to have fires every evening, and I've had zero this season.

Thank you!
What did you have before that worked OK? Was it with the same chimney? I'm guessing chimney is on an outer wall but the peak is well above that, pics would help.

This is my first time to this forum. Are there any rules? I recently had a Quadra-Fire insert installed, so I'm not sure if I can discuss that here? But I desperately need help!!

I had it installed a couple months ago, and I haven't had a successful fire. Smoke comes into the house. The installers came back to assess the issue, fixed something, and left. Whatever they did was not successful....smoke is still coming into the house. I contacted them again and was told that I'm "dealing with a poor situation." They told me my chimney is short, and my house is tall, and I need to get the insert warmed up to get air flowing in the right direction before lighting anything with smoke. I tried to warm it up with a bernzomatic torch, but that didn't work. What else can I do to warm it up?

Thank you!
We need more info to be of assistance. Did they put in a full, insulated 6"stainless liner for the insert? How tall is the chimney?

Describe the house and fireplace location in relation to the house.

Is the insert the Quadrafire Expedition II?