Chimney identification

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmerBob

New Member
Sep 9, 2026
4
Iowa
Hello, I'm in the middle of a remodel and need to extend my wood burning fireplace chimney. I am having a hard time figuring out what brand it is and if there is anything I can buy locally that is compatible. The inner pipe is 8" diameter, outer is 12" diameter. Fireplace was installed new in this house in 1990. See picture below. Any help identifying the brand and websites that might carry compatible chimney would be greatly appreciated!
[Hearth.com] Chimney identification
 
Hello, I'm in the middle of a remodel and need to extend my wood burning fireplace chimney. I am having a hard time figuring out what brand it is and if there is anything I can buy locally that is compatible. The inner pipe is 8" diameter, outer is 12" diameter. Fireplace was installed new in this house in 1990. See picture below. Any help identifying the brand and websites that might carry compatible chimney would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 348952
I can almost guarantee the chimney is out of production
 
  • Like
Reactions: J67Broz
It looks to be air-cooled and perhaps not up to UL 103HT 2100º standard?
 
  • Like
Reactions: J67Broz
Yes it is air cooled pipe. Is that generally not accepted in new installations or remodels? I will do some digging and see if code here is the UL 103HT you mentioned. Thanks for the reply
 
It was approved for the fireplace setup. The problem is that this is likely no longer manufactured or sold. What fireplace make and model is this for?
 
  • Like
Reactions: bholler
The fireplace is a Superior, the model tag on it is in bad shape I can't read the model well, but I think it says 4GE-4059.
 
I believe this chimney is the Superior 8DM chimney. I found a couple online stores that sell it. If anyone can confirm or correct me I would appreciate it. I would also take a recommendation where to find this at the best price.