A bit disapointed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
I just got home from Christmas dinner and found one of my stacks had lost it's cover..... :shut: I put the cover back on but the whole thing got fairly wet and this was the working stack at this point! We had some strong wind followed by a stronger rain. Well time to work on a good wood shed with covers that wont move.

Thats a shame. At least the stack didn't blow over. An easy lean to against the tool shed worked good for us. Good luck

Bummer, but no worries, it'll dry out quick! Cheers!

The wind was RIPPING here today until about 1pm. I went out and stapled the edges down on my stacks that have plastic over them. They survived fine, but they were somewhat shielded from the wind. I had to leave for work at 1:00. At 12:00 Santa dropped the top half of an alder across my driveway.

Santa was good to me too. After the unfortunate discovering of my pile (pun intended) I got a call from a friend "hey my neighbor has a tree down". So I'll go see how many $$$ and how much wood. :smirk:

RNLA said:
I just got home from Christmas dinner and found one of my stacks had lost it's cover..... :shut: I put the cover back on but the whole thing got fairly wet and this was the working stack at this point! We had some strong wind followed by a stronger rain. Well time to work on a good wood shed with covers that wont move.

Yup

Hopefully this will be the last winter to burn wood from under a tarp for me. Next year's wood has been under the tin since September. I use underneath my elevated deck as a "wood shed" so once I burn this year's wood up I'll be able to finish the metal up on that side (1/2 the deck is about a year's worth). If things don't get cold, I'll wind up up having leftovers I'll have to move.

Best luck I've had w/ tarps is by running parachute cord through the grommets and hanging a brick w/ a hole in it every so often around the pile. Haven't had the tarp come off a full pile doing that yet. Have had it get rearranged by nature once the wood starts getting low but the bricks keep it from getting too far away from me.

pen

RNLA said:

I don't know how many times I chased down tarps, replaced them, re-tied them, untangled, bungee them down, picked the big threads out of the wood, more logs on top of them etc etc.....
Finally built a shed, now I wonder why it took so long.
Know your feelings about tarps for sure.
Good luck.

Occasionally we have a wind that blows off a cover or two. No problem because that wood dries fast once the rain is done. The wood won't soak up that moisture.

We store wood outdoors and also move enough into the barn for the winter. I also built a small rack to put on the new porch we built. This way, we just open the door and the wood is right there by the stove. I just built it so it had some slant to the top and then screwed on some old galvanized roofing. Works like a charm. Total cost; probably $2.00

When I bought my house this summer, one of my first jobs was to paint the interior. I have a couple of plastic drop-cloths from that job that have worked to cover the top of a few stacks. I went around the sides with a staple gun and put a few chunks of wood on top.

I don't use tarps, plywood is the product right now. I just brought home 2.5 cords from a blow down and began splitting and stacking. The reason I've put off building a real wood shed is we are building a garage right now $$$. The stacks are currently just cribbed on the end and covered with plywood.

You'll be fine with using plywood, straps over the top & down to the pallets, a wood shed is nice but not needed.
Garage is more important.
I put mine woodshed off for years for various reasons, but sure is nice to have now.

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. The shed for me is more for aesthetics and organization. I want to keep things looking clean around here as the next door neighbor is not burning wood. It only takes one angry person to make things ugly. The present condition of our yard resembles a yard sale on the surface of the moon. I am determined to change this by the end of 2012. I like the way a free standing stack of wood with plywood on top seasons so quickly, the look is not so good. I also don't want the city coming for inspections on the garage and seeing piles of wood everywhere. They might get the wrong idea that I'm selling wood or at least give them something to think about if someone should complain about the general appearance. :-/

Know what you mean. I went from a misc piles of wood to a wood shed.
Looks so much more organized. & out of the rain :)
Old wood pile VS wood shed:

Attachments

• 100_4620.jpg
    100_4620.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_5195.jpg
    100_5195.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 515
Gotchya! Holy cramoly.... Nice shed, I would love to go that big but as I said before I'm in the city and need to take care to not stick out like a sore thumb. I would never have thought about wanting to be in city, but now that I'm here I really like it. I will get done with all inspections then build the wood shed-mahal.... :)

That's a beauty their Dave, I like it. A C

I just bought a house that the guy before me built a couple of wood sheds. Never had a wood stove before so never knew about having to start seasoning next years wood so much in advance. Have alot of extra wood under a tarp on top and just like the original guy the thing keeps blowing off.

One question basically is I should only have the tarp on the top and drapped over the the sides a little?

RORY12553 said:
I just bought a house that the guy before me built a couple of wood sheds. Never had a wood stove before so never knew about having to start seasoning next years wood so much in advance. Have alot of extra wood under a tarp on top and just like the original guy the thing keeps blowing off.

One question basically is I should only have the tarp on the top and drapped over the the sides a little?

Yes . . . for best results.

In my own case I don't tarp my outside wood at all . . . but it's outside for one year and then it goes into the woodshed for a year and in Year 3 it meets its timely end.

firefighterjake said:
RORY12553 said:

In my own case I don't tarp my outside wood at all . . . but it's outside for one year and then it goes into the woodshed for a year and in Year 3 it meets its timely end.

Unfortunately I don't have the room for all that so whatever is under the tarp will be split soon and will end up in the shed come spring for use probably late next winter.

RORY12553 said:
firefighterjake said:
RORY12553 said:

Unfortunately I don't have the room for all that so whatever is under the tarp will be split soon and will end up in the shed come spring for use probably late next winter.

In that case I would top cover only then.

RORY12553 said:

When you say drapped over the sides a little, that may be okay and it sounds like you want to use a tarp. If so, do not go down the sides but a few inches. Otherwise you stop the drying. Don't worry about rain and snow hitting the sides of the stacks as the wood will not soak that up.

Better than tarps is something more solid for wood covering. We have some old galvanized roofing that we use and it works well. But if you have to cover with tarps, if you can keep the tarp above the wood by a few inches then this might help. Even so, figure a year and the tarps are trash. Someone suggested laying plywood or osb on top of the wood and then covering that with a tarp. It might work and is probably worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.