A bit of wood. No sense of organization.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
took the morning off yesterday to try to get caught up on some stacking I had to do. They were calling for snow. Can't wait to build the woodshed next year and bring some order to all of this. Here is the mayhem. first is the treehouse, from which I phtographed the wood piles since the treehouse is centrally located to them all. Does anyone else have the same kind of problem? wood piles just haphazzardly around the place with no real plan?

Attachments

• 58456899_179593466_0.jpg
    58456899_179593466_0.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 625
  • lh.jpg
    lh.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 645
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 628
A few more pics

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 541
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 543
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 551
Here is the house I am trying to heat. chimney is on the far left end of this thing.. And the last picture is a marvel of redneck engineering. The wood cart. Formerly a baby stroller.

Attachments

• p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 557
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 580
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 605
Yes! I'm not the only one! My wood is all over the place during the splitting stage. It gets organized in the fall, stacked right behind my back door. I too will be building a wood shed next year, but I don't suspect it will do much to clean up my piles (of wood). I have a friend who dumps wood here, literally dumps with a dump truck. I'm never here when he comes so he just dumps where he thinks appropriate. Then I go over a start splitting all the easy pieces at each pile, and then progress to the harder ones (ultimately leaving the hardest pieces to the one time a year I use a hydraulic splitter). I have a system, it looks like crap most of the year, but it works for me.

Rick

Welcome to my world!

Alan, my husband and I try to stay on top of all the 'piles' but it seems there are always stray uglies all over the place. We burn these unstackable pieces first. This past fall we got almost a months heat out of them. Our house on a very small 70'x70' lot, and so we hardly have any grass left...there is 5 cords next to the deck, another 2 along the neighbours fence, 2 cords of slab wood on the actual deck, not far from the door...and so it goes.

However, we have cut our electricity by more than 1/2 and we are warm!

How about putting our heads together making plans for a fast and inexpensive wood shed that someone with a few bucks, a hammer, a saw and a free weekend could build? I saw one a couple of communitys over last week that looks good. Just 4x4's and a sloped roof, but it would do the trick.

Merry Merry,
Donna

I have plans for a wood shed also, so if anybody knows of any decent online (free) plans or ideas, they'd be much appreciated. I was thinking of something simple (4x4s, slanted roof etc) that may have removable sides so they can come off in the summer for air flow, but be reinstalled during the winter to keep snow and rain from the wood.

15 years ago I built a very nice 12 X 24 foot wood shed. Enjoyed it for a long time. Now the junk stored in it has pushed the wood outside into covered piles.

Groan...

About 10 years ago, in a different house, I built an awesome woodshed out of some 4x4's, 2x4's and plastic roofing from a big box store. The whole thing cost me about $300 (ten years ago). It took me maybe 2 days to build it. It was 16' long, 7' wide and 6' tall sloping to about 5'. It didn't look half bad. Actually, it looked like crap, but it was tucked away in a corner of my yard. Man I miss that thing.

Rick

Good grief...Eric,..... Your an artist!!!!!!

When i moved into my house last october, I was happy to find that the previous owner had dropped tow big oaks and two bigger maples, which I greenly tried to burn after not enoug seasoning. However he aslo left an outdoor dog run, fenced in , on a concrete slab. It is 16 feet long, 12 feet wide and the fence is 6 feet tall. Being the slob that the previous owner was he also left behind 8 or 10 sheets of couragated metal roofing. So, next spring the plan is to taks down the fence, on all four sides, install a 6x6 at each corner; 8 feet high at the front corners, adn 6 feet high at the back. Connect the four posts with some 2x10's and with some simple 2x4 framing attach the metal roofing. I also plan to reuse the fencing for the sides and back to alllow for airflow. Oh yeah, the total cost for the builoding materials was........nothing. All extra material from one of my many jobs. And when it is done it will comfortably hold at least 9 cords! Not too bad for a second season wood burner!

Status
Not open for further replies.