A couple questions about temperature.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
After reading several different threads that mentioned the temperature inside the firebox I became confused (which occurs way too frequently these days) about what the ideal temperature should be. My stove has a temperature gauge that sticks down into the center of the stove's top. I often see temperatures between 1,000° F and 1,200° F on this gauge which is way hotter than what I have been reading here. So, my question is this: When you all report temperatures are you using Celsius or Fahrenheit? Also, do most of you use a magnetic temperature gauge on the outside which, in my mind, would provide a lower temperature than one inside the firebox?

GeeWizMan said:
After reading several different threads that mentioned the temperature inside the firebox I became confused (which occurs way too frequently these days) about what the ideal temperature should be. My stove has a temperature gauge that sticks down into the center of the stove's top. I often see temperatures between 1,000° F and 1,200° F on this gauge which is way hotter than what I have been reading here. So, my question is this: When you all report temperatures are you using Celsius or Fahrenheit? Also, do most of you use a magnetic temperature gauge on the outside which, in my mind, would provide a lower temperature than one inside the firebox?

IM learning a new stove too,

but this is helpful to you. ( all in farienheit) - too lazy to spell check it

I am seeing temps of easily 1000+ inside the firebox.

200-400 on the outside of the door glass

anywhere from 290-600 on the outside top of the stove ( 600 is running it HOT)

cat equipped, wood burning insert.

Flu temps are showing in the 200-500 range
im curious about the flu temps though, my non-contact thermometer says shiney surfaces might not read accuratly.

GeeWizMan,

Running a dutchwest catalytic stove?

If so, you're seeing cat combustor temps, not stove surface temps. If you stick a magnetic surface thermometer to another part of the stove, you should see the temperatures that we often talk about (500-700 range in Farenheight)

Status
Not open for further replies.