A+ Customer Service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
The testament of a good company is not how they handle sales, but how they handle issues that arise with those sales. I would like this thread to be dedicated to the companies that handle those issues and put the customer first. It doesn't have to be a stove based company, any company will do.

Kudos to Abacus Private!
I ordered ink for my Canon printer in October from Abacus Private, I typically order it early before I actually need it so that I will not run out. I received my order in about a week and I put the box aside until I ran out. Last Thursday I ran out and I opened the box, upon looking at it contents I noticed that the 4 grey ink carts were not included but they were listed on the invoice. I contacted Abacus Private about the issue, they contacted me the next day asking for information about the weight of the box and if it was damaged, I sent them the information and they immediately sent me the missing ink, which I received on Monday. My initial thoughts were I will never get my ink and will just have to order more, but Abacus Private stepped up to the plate and sent me the missing ink in a very timely manor. Because of this I will continue to do business with this company as I am a very satisfied customer.

Anyone else have a very good experience with a company that they would like to share?

Fiskars. In my experience Fiskars products are very good. There may be a better one of this or that but I can't recall buying anything from them that I thought was poorly designed or manufactured. I did have to contact them over an issue once and they were prompt and provided a replacement with no hassle. Considering they could have easily argued it was not a product defect (I'm not sure what happened) I was very impressed.

While I despise poor customer service, I appreciate companies that go out of their way to offer excellent service. About 2 weeks ago, I spent some time making a batch of Nestle tollhouse chocolate chip cookies...for my local chainsaw shop.

I had dropped my Stihl MS250 chainsaw off at Koenig Equipment (a wee bit south of Dayton, OH) a few weeks ago, grumbling that it flooded easily & was very difficult to start. I've owned the saw for about 11 years, and it's always been hard to start. Koenig's saw technician had it for a week, and had NO problems starting my saw. The company from which I'd bought the saw, many moons ago, had given me no instructions in the proper starting/operation. Amazingly enough (not), that company went out of business several years ago. The Koenig saw tech showed me the right way to start the saw (which is not quite the way listed in the manual). After having my saw for a week, testing it a number of times, the repair bill for their efforts was...ZERO, since they didn't have to repair it. So, to show my appreciation, I make a point to spread the word about them as well as dropping off some cookies.

A followup: Last week, I got a thank-you card from Koenig for the cookies. Even though I didn't tell them my name when I dropped off the cookies, they "hunted me down." :rolleyes:

Most recently, L.L. Bean. While I feel the quality of their products has dropped a bit over the years, they maintain the same top notch customer service they've always had.

My sister sent us 2 pairs of snow shoes from them as a gift. They shipped direct from the manufacturer to me. One pair showed up assembled wrong and needed to be replaced. I had zero paperwork on them and had to look up the 800 number online.

Within one minute of dialing the phone I had a real person on the other end and she had my order on the computer in front of here. I had tossed the shipping materials already so I had no way to send back the damaged pair. They shipped me a new pair first so I could use the box to return the old pair.

Well mannered, painless, fast, a much better than expected experience all the way around.

I would add SuperSplit, the manufacturer of wood splitters. I bought a used model off of CL that was one of the originals they ever made. When I needed some parts, I emailed the company to ask about parts. Within minutes my phone rang, and it was the owner. He said he prefers to talk to his customers instead of just trading messages.

He had the parts, shipped them fast, and even gave me some tips on how to adjust and tweak my setup.

Really impressed with the level of service. I know the initial cost isnt cheap, but the service after the sale is worth it!

Overall, I think I had way more positive than negative experiences. Two examples come to my mind:

Macy's: My then girlfriend (now wife) and I were for a few days in New York for some sightseeing. Stopping at Macy's she noticed a tablecloth on a large display that would just fit perfectly our table and dining room. And it wasn't even expensive at $25. Unfortunately, the nice elderly salesman had to tell us that it was the last one and since it was part of a larger arrangement he could not just pull it from the display. But, if we could maybe come back in a week or so after they had taken down the display? Since we were going back to Vermont the next day so no luck. However, he offered to take our phone number. Of course, we never thought we would hear from him again. Wrong, about 2 weeks later I found two calls from him on our voicemail that he could now send us the tablecloth. I called back, gave him our credit card info and the tablecloth arrived a few days after that without even a shipping charge. All that effort for a $25 sale that he could have gotten way easier by just putting it back on the shelf. I left a glowing review about him on Macy's website; I hope it helped.

Local furniture/appliance store: Needed a new refrigerator for work. Had the option of going to the big-box store or a local store. Local store was slightly more expensive for the same model but delivery was free so I went there. Sale was nice and quick, delivery a few days later, the two guys switched the door swing for me without a fuss. Turned it on, refrigerator started humming, all well I thought. Came back next day, unit still humming but no cold. Called them and described the problem. That afternoon, a technician came and took a look. Turned out the compressor was broken probably since the factory. Maybe 10 minutes after he left I got a call from the store that they would deliver a new one as soon as they would get it from their supplier and pick up the broken unit. Two days later the new refrigerator arrived and the delivery guys had already changed the swing (!) remembering last time. We turned it on and they waited 15 min to see if it would start cooling. Only then they left with the broken one. Man, was I glad I shopped local that time.

if any of y'all are ever in Southern California and need auto repair, check out Burbank Auto Electric (http://www.burbankautoelectric.com/). Only place I'll take my vehicles (except the dealer on the wife's "new" Rav4). Hatch and his guys have kept Myrtle, my '94 Ferd Ranger alive and running well for more than a dozen years / nearly 240 thousand miles. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, just the best. And when my FIL got too old to drive, I asked Hatch to tell FIL that the jalopy was irreparable and he did so gladly.

I've also had fairly good customer service experience at Sears. Not every Sears, though, just the one that's being closed down next month (we have 3, I think, in the San Fernando Valley).

Less recently, Simon's Power Equipment, North Hollywood. They're a full-service shop catering mostly to pros (gardeners and tree trimmers in these parts). Stihl, Husqavarna, etc. But what I brought them was decidedly NOT pro equipment. One time they serviced a cheap, electric Harbor Fright chipper and the other was when they straightened the bar on my Woodwiz. Both times equipment they don't normally encounter, but they were reasonable, efficient, competent and friendly. I still have and even occasionally use the Woodwiz. The chipper was a piece o' carp from the day it was new, and I eventually sold it for $10 at a yard sale or something.

Newport Motorsports: Two weekends ago my brother-in-law's Yamaha sled developed a coolant leak. The local guy that worked on it in the past said he was out of the business. Local shop said they could do work on it, but it would be 10-days due to a backlog and they suggested he take it to a shop that primarily works on Yamahas. Called up Newport Motorsports and was told to bring it in that day. Arrived at the shop, unloaded it and the guy started working on it while we were there -- in less than an hour he not only fixed the leak, but did a bunch of other stuff to it as well . . . and all at a decent price.

This impressed me quite a bit . . . enough to send off an e-mail to the boss praising the mechanic and shop . . . and enough for me to seriously consider their dealership for my next sled or ATV.

One of the mantras that my company's customer service team hears from me when they appear to be getting worn down is that the real opportunity for our company to thrive is less in providing the perfect customer experience on the front end and much more in making things right when that experience doesn't go the way we want it to. A company that will make things right is a company that will be talked about it a positive light.

Reactions: sloeffle
Just met Richard and his wife Avis from Normans sugar house in Woodstock CT. After about an hour of shooting the breeze about everything from tapping trees, to who used to own our house, who are neighbors are, and vacations in the Caribbean, I finally bought some sugaring supplies off of them.
They're a retired couple that do this as a "hobby", they'll tell ya everything you need to know to get up and running and how to best set yourself up for now so that you can grow later without having to start over. Very informative, very friendly, and it's actually cheaper than ordering from "Leader's" catalog. (no shipping)
If you need any sugaring supplies in the North East corner of CT, I would definitely check them out. Call first, there's no real hours, dress warm, the barn / shop / store isn't heated, plan on spending some extra time there if you like to talk about anything from, trees, to tractors, to bees.

Norman's Sugar House

Richard & Avis Norman
387 County Road
Woodstock, CT 06281
(860) 974-1235
[email protected]

"Kids today" you hear that a lot.

Shortly after getting my s10 4wd, my first truck and first 4wd, I yanked a few small bushes out on the edge of the yard. I noticed the next day I couldn't get it into 4wd. I mentioned this to my students In first block. Lunchtime rolls around, and I see two students under my truck. I walk out, one says. There ya go, you knocked the vacuum line off. It's fixed now. He jumps in his buddy's car and they go off to the tech school.

"Kids today" you hear that a lot.

Shortly after getting my s10 4wd, my first truck and first 4wd, I yanked a few small bushes out on the edge of the yard. I noticed the next day I couldn't get it into 4wd. I mentioned this to my students In first block. Lunchtime rolls around, and I see two students under my truck. I walk out, one says. There ya go, you knocked the vacuum line off. It's fixed now. He jumps in his buddy's car and they go off to the tech school.
A while back in high school, our gym teacher (tough lady, great heart) was all beat up from trying to paint her new house that weekend. We knew she just bought it, was in rough shape, she had her work cut out.
Next Saturday about 6 of us showed up unannounced, helped her finish painting and got the yard all cleaned up.
We all had a blast. That's about when I started learning about karma.

I have several customers who originally came to me with problems left over from a previous contractor. Most of those problems were easy to solve and I was able to solve them for reasonable money and minimal time. Guess who they called when they wanted to re-do their yacht interiors?

Good workmanship and an understanding that "service" is what builds "brand recognition" is what rreally builds a customer base. I know that whenever I pick up the 'phone and need help with: a car, the boiler/furnace, plumbing, roofing, etc. the people I call will help me ASAP. It helps to plan regular service and pay on time!

Hilkoil.
The owner answers the phone, is willing to customize his products, ships fast, stands behind product and I can't make the stuff cheaper than he does.

Comcast. ;lol

No wait....rated worst customer service in 2014! Took me 4 hours on the phone over two days to reduce my service.

Reactions: Mule skinner
Another A+ customer service story. Yamaha
I bought my wife a new digital piano November of 2014 the DGX650, recently she started to have issues with the adapter cord acting like there was a short in it. I contacted Yamaha customer service through email stating the issue, they responded within 24 hours and sent a new cord, and within a week the new cord arrived. There was absolutely no hassle involved.

Another A+ customer service story. Yamaha
I bought my wife a new digital piano November of 2014 the DGX650, recently she started to have issues with the adapter cord acting like there was a short in it. I contacted Yamaha customer service through email stating the issue, they responded within 24 hours and sent a new cord, and within a week the new cord arrived. There was absolutely no hassle involved.

+1 for Yamaha. I bought some weather proof speakers last year. Maybe I didn't hang them fast enough, maybe my wife is a little careless, either way, the brackets got tossed with the trash.
She called them, explained the situation, the guy on the other end of the line had a new pair of mounting brackets and hardware to our door within a week at no charge.
Exceeded my expectations 10 times over. Fantastic!

Comcast. ;lol

No wait....rated worst customer service in 2014! Took me 4 hours on the phone over two days to reduce my service.
This kind of thing should be illegal. Many companies now make it very tough to cancel or reduce services. I wish I could bill them for the time they've made me spend on the phone.
I wonder if a registered letter would work for service cancellation? Seems ridiculous it should come to that when email is ubiquitous.

Status
Not open for further replies.