A few days in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
The past few days I've been working on getting some standing dead trees off of my neighbor's back fenceline. These were mostly cottonwood, and 1 oak. Aside from pinching the bar on one attempt, the trees came down without a problem and the little 170 did great ;lol

The bad part about these trees is getting them to my stacks required hauling it out by hand over to my fence and dropping the pieces over, then bringing it to my stacks

Some shots from day 1:
IMG_2252.jpg IMG_6967.jpg IMG_7495.jpg

Then day 2:

IMG_9860.jpg IMG_4004.jpg IMG_1577.jpg

All of day 1's haul is split and stacked, now I just need to get to work on the rest ;)

nice work, and it was free. i have no experience with cottonwood, but i would let that oak sit a year before burning it.

Cottonwood isn't the best but it'll be fine for my firepit outside. The problem with it is it's ridiculously wet when cut so it's heavy as heck but dries real light. All the work of hauling oak, but less heat :p

Reactions: PapaDave
The cottonwood will still give you good heat. It does tend to burn hot but of course, the burns are a bit shorter. Still good wood for daytime or spring/fall burning when you want only a short fire.

Yep it should do alright. One thing I like about it is it seasons quick. I've heard people say it takes years but I've got some in the stacks from January that's already bone dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.