A few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

want2learn

Aug 31, 2018
Baltimore, Maryland
I see that most forums haven't been active but I thought I'd give this a try...

I'm trying to heat a two story 1200sqft home. The first floor will be separated from the second by doors.
There is duct work there but nothing installed yet. The duct work that is there is the insulated flexible ducts.
I wanted to know if there is something that I can install that will work with the existing duct work.
I see that all wood/pellet stoves just need a few pipes and outside vent but how can I get that heat to the second floor without making new holes? Is it true that if I do use them that everything will melt and cause toxic fumes?

Please help me out as I cannot find something that would fit my situation.
Thank you in advance.

Can the doors be left open?

You could use the ductwork and inline fans to push cold air from upstairs down into the stove room. Opening the doors might work better, especially if the house isn't very tight.

My downstairs stove heats my upstairs fine, but there's a big open archway leading from the stove room to the stairway.

I am not clear about what pipes you think you might melt? The air we are talking about moving here is room temperature.

unfortunately there is no free standing woodstove or pellet stove that is rated to be hooked up to duct work, now there are wood furnaces that will do the job, perhaps there is a designated spot on the first floor to install a furnace with minimal extension of duct work?
And as others have mentioned, the duct work can be used as a cold air return but it may not work if the duct work splits to individual runs that have registers in each room like a traditional central air setup.

Yes they are set up as central air ducts
Doors can't be opened as they are two separate units
I've read on another forum that flexible duct would melt the insulation and give off toxic fumes
Guessing by all your answers the only thing I can install is a wood furnace not wood stove.

unfortunately there is no free standing woodstove or pellet stove that is rated to be hooked up to duct work, now there are wood furnaces that will do the job, perhaps there is a designated spot on the first floor to install a furnace with minimal extension of duct work?
And as others have mentioned, the duct work can be used as a cold air return but it may not work if the duct work splits to individual runs that have registers in each room like a traditional central air setup.

Uh, there are pellet stoves rated to be connected to ducts. I think even some wood fireplaces.

1200 sf is pretty small. Is that 1200 per floor? If 1200 then you don’t need ducts, just one central stove. The heat will find its way pretty well. Obviously, the stove room will be warmer.

I heat 1700 sf with an unducted stove. 10 degrees differential across the house when outside temps are single digits.

Uh, there are pellet stoves rated to be connected to ducts. I think even some wood fireplaces.
what brands of pellet stoves? Because I envision the op is talking about a stove that has almost like a range hood over it, I know that setup doesn't work for free standing wood stoves.

what brands of pellet stoves? Because I envision the op is talking about a stove that has almost like a range hood over it, I know that setup doesn't work for free standing wood stoves.
Drolet eco 65 w plenum kit is one I came across a while back while exploring options...

upload_2018-9-2_18-0-34.jpeg

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/drolet-eco65-part2.107013/

Reactions: Highbeam
Thank you for all responses but I’d really prefer a wood furnace type.
Unless pellet stove is all that can be hooked to existing duct work.
As for the one pictured, it looks like an add on? I can’t add on because there’s nothing to add to..
Also 1200sqft is total..
My main problem is that the two floors are separate units and I need to heat both.
Again thanks to all who replied!

One stove will heat both floors. The question is how hot the lower floor will need to get for the upper floor to be comfortable. That balance might work out naturally or it might need some assistance with a fan or duct, or protected floor opening.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of fireplaces being connected to ductwork too.