A Great Score...and a pretty cool friend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
Been a little inactive on the forums lately as work has been busy and have been busy around the house with you know...life. Anyway, a buddy of mine is clearing some land for a friend of his. He asked if I wanted any of the wood...of course, I said yes.
I went there today and split for several hours as he cut down trees and bucked wood.
I thought I was splitting for us both...nope...I could have it all as he has gotten all he needs for quite a while. I filled my van while he filled his truck with all I split.
I got a mix of white oak, red oak, pin oak, ash, maple, beech, and some unknown wood without any bark to add to my stacks today. I am going back for more...might need to convince the wifey I need a truck.
I have been blessed big-time.
d0ad40dd4bca3a1cedd11737aeb8b40c.jpgb33e1bc34332e26f6430b2d1aa59b38e.jpg1f75574878f08b0979f25d64b7cb7c2f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice score!

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Thanks!!! There is still a lot of wood there and I am thinking I will be on the 4 year plan [with some to spare] by the time all is said and done. Gonna have to re-arrange the stacks a bit to make it fit. A nice problem to have, IMHO....

That's a great score, real clean looking wood too! Is that some type of Birch in the back of that SUV?

And look at the third picture, the split piece almost right above the tailgate door handle looks like it has a smiley face on it lol!

That's a great score, real clean looking wood too! Is that some type of Birch in the back of that SUV?

And look at the third picture, the split piece almost right above the tailgate door handle looks like it has a smiley face on it lol!
That's maple in the van. Very few knots and very straight trees. Split like a dream with the mighty, mighty Fiskars.
We're pretty sure the one tree is beech...slim chance it is a chestnut hybrid. I took a branch so I could identify it.
I did not notice the smiley face...probably because mine is in the way. ;-)

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I am pretty sure this is beech. Not a bad smell to it & the splits are heavy. Bark on the one side and split piece on the other.
313d4c02b34c53645aeb45df2bdf1a68.jpg

Been a little inactive on the forums lately as work has been busy and have been busy around the house with you know...life. Anyway, a buddy of mine is clearing some land for a friend of his. He asked if I wanted any of the wood...of course, I said yes.
I went there today and split for several hours as he cut down trees and bucked wood.
I thought I was splitting for us both...nope...I could have it all as he has gotten all he needs for quite a while. I filled my van while he filled his truck with all I split.
I got a mix of white oak, red oak, pin oak, ash, maple, beech, and some unknown wood without any bark to add to my stacks today. I am going back for more...might need to convince the wifey I need a truck.
I have been blessed big-time.
View attachment 245790View attachment 245791View attachment 245792
Nice score @HisTreeNut, it's also a very nice mix of firewood.

Thanks again. Almost forgot...got some pine logs in that mix also.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Minivan and the Fiskars. Matched set;) I did just that for a few years. Actually worked very well in my opinion.

Great story, Treenut.

But my 1/2 ton pickup bottoms out pretty fast under a load of wet oak, I can’t imagine what firewood does to the suspension of a minivan!

Why not use a small utility trailer? They are so much more convenient, too!

Great story, Treenut.

But my 1/2 ton pickup bottoms out pretty fast under a load of wet oak, I can’t imagine what firewood does to the suspension of a minivan!

Why not use a small utility trailer? They are so much more convenient, too!
I cannot put a whole lot in the minivan. A couple of layers is all she can take. I wound up having to take a layer of the maple off once the van was level...you could see the sag. Usually 3 layers is it unless the wood is dry pine or poplar. Those I can do 5.
I do borrow a utility trailer from a neighbor if I need it and he isn't using it. It wasn't available that day. That being said, I will be able to borrow one the next few days.

Whats up tree nut.. glad to see you back
What's up with me Woodsplitter67...??? My electric bill!!! lol
Been working 6 days a week since June. The OT is nice, but the kitchen is beastly hot so it's gotten pretty old pretty fast. I might actually get 2 days off in a row this week.
I also took 2 of my daughters on a mission trip to Honduras to work with orphans. Folks have no idea how good we have it here. My eldest has been there a couple of times & it was an eye opener for my next eldest. They both want to go back again, so it made an impact.
Trying to enjoy the summer and obviously build up the wood supply. That being said, I am better than I ought to be & more blessed than I deserve.
Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Ashful
Today's haul...some pine and some more beech. I need a pick-up & a big trailer, and a boatload more time...
The price is right on this so I am not complaining.
8b173de5c016c42ba49e000e6f8a07b9.jpg

Spent today splitting up some of the haul...had a little helper also.
Got it done as the thunder was rolling in. A pretty darn good day.
0804191952.jpg
0804191727a.jpg

Today's haul. Another friend let me borrow his trailer and pick-up truck.
Going back again tomorrow. My privately employed wood-stacking crew is not very thrilled...
[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji6]
2cc20dae32db731cf50faabc136ce867.jpg