A Little Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4510 (2).JPG

My wood shed is full so I really don't need any more wood. But we had a tropical storm come through on Wednesday and it knocked down a red oak tree onto the road. The DOT cut it off the road. This is just 3 miles from my house and the wood was laying right next to the road. I couldn't stand it, I took the Stihl over this morning and I cut it up, and quartered it and put it in the Nissan. Pristine red oak with zero rot, got 2/3 of a truck load. I can't stand to look an easy deal like this pass me by. Now I need to figure out where to put it.

You pay for the gas I will run it up there. I like Ontario I have spent a lot of time camping in Quetico Park. Like, two months total and I had to drive up there from Georgia.

You pay for the gas I will run it up there. I like Ontario I have spent a lot of time camping in Quetico Park. Like, two months total and I had to drive up there from Georgia.
Short hop on the i95 and you are there!

View attachment 281119View attachment 281120

My wood shed is full so I really don't need any more wood. But we had a tropical storm come through on Wednesday and it knocked down a red oak tree onto the road. The DOT cut it off the road. This is just 3 miles from my house and the wood was laying right next to the road. I couldn't stand it, I took the Stihl over this morning and I cut it up, and quartered it and put it in the Nissan. Pristine red oak with zero rot, got 2/3 of a truck load. I can't stand to look an easy deal like this pass me by. Now I need to figure out where to put it.
I bet, it was not an easy bucking job! And watch your toes…..

Spent a summer a Quetico as a Junior Forest Ranger when I was 16
1967 Centennial year Canada's 100 birthday
Think it was the best summer I ever had
Came very close to marrying at 18 a girl from Duluth Min.
that I met that year

I first went up to the Quetico in 1985. Long drive from central Georgia. I had done some camping in Georgia but the Quetico was something else! No cars allowed, the only way to get around is in a canoe. Keeps the riff raff out.
Of course you get thirsty paddling a canoe all day, in the Quetico you just dip your cup into the lake and have a drink. Clear pristine Canadian water. You don't want to drink from a lake, or a river in Georgia, you will live to regret it. It is something else to be paddling across a lake, and there is a bull moose standing in the shallows just 100 feet away. We don't have moose in Georgia. Every night, fried Walleye! We don't have walleye in Georgia.
To sit before the campfire at night in the Quetico, with the brilliant stars, and only the sound of the loons, and wolves howling in the distance. Wonderful.
On the other hand I also learned about black flies. We also don't have black flies in Georgia. We do have Georgia mosquitoes, but they are not as big, nor as numerous, as Ontario mosquitoes.

Reactions: stoveliker