A loaded question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So my 1983 vigilant is going to the scrap yard in the spring :(

She's been an amazing stove. However I can't remove the 2piece fire back without a complete tear down, and for 2x the money of the new part, I can get basically a new stove. Plus there are other issues... The log retainer in the front is down to just 1 stub.... The handle that locks both doors is long gone... I now use a steel rod propped against a bolt in the concrete floor to hold the doors shut...

So I'll be shopping for a newer stove...

Things I enjoy about this stove:

Top loading... That's just awesome!
I have finally, after 6years figured out how to work the damn thing to get maximum heat...
It's familiar.

Though I do wish I could get more heat out of it... The defiant looks good as an alternative but the side loading seems about as usefull as front loading. ESP since I only empty it out once a week or so... Them ashes and coals build up.... ESP when she's hot, and them pour out, gotta scoop them up and stuff them back in. I dunno I can really pack the vigilant right to the very top which is what I like...

If not another vigilant, I would still like another top loader...

The area I am heating is 2200 sq ft. Open floor space. Only when it gets down to e single digits or is windy does the vigilant have troubles keeping up...

So I am open to top loading suggestions and stuff

I've never had a top loading stove, but I wouldn't let that limit my choices.

I would also avoid VC at the moment. Ownership has changed hands several times in recent years, and customer service and warranty coverage has suffered.

If you're finishing the season with the Vig, look hard at the new Woodstock stove for next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.