A new chapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I know coal burning has had virtually no representation here. I’ve decided to give it a try. I’ve ended up with some pretty severe back problems, and will be needing surgery soon. Processing wood has become a thing of the past for me much too soon. I decided to pick up a Hitzer 50-93 hopper stove. So far so good!

Attachments

• 8EFF8D59-C2F8-4874-8786-5CAB4EBFB64F.jpeg
    8EFF8D59-C2F8-4874-8786-5CAB4EBFB64F.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Hoytman
I know coal burning has had virtually no representation here. I’ve decided to give it a try. I’ve ended up with some pretty severe back problems, and will be needing surgery soon. Processing wood has become a thing of the past for me much too soon. I decided to pick up a Hitzer 50-93 hopper stove. So far so good!
Seems like just minutes ago we were talking about our awesome log splitters<,,,,,,,,,,,,, now this !!

Sorry to hear aboutchur back..

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
Hitzler makes good stoves. What chimney are you running it through?

Seems like just minutes ago we were talking about our awesome log splitters<,,,,,,,,,,,,, now this !!

Sorry to hear aboutchur back..
I’ll still split some wood, I just can’t go after it like I used to. It really sucks, I’ve got 37 acres of falling oaks...

Sorry to hear about the back problems. They can be a real bear to live with. Doc told me about 5 yrs ago to lay off the heavy work. The way he put it was that I am a 3/4 ton truck with 200,000 miles on the suspension and no longer able to carry the rated load. More like a weak 1/2 ton now. Take care of yourself and don't push it.

On the coal stove, how heavy are the loads to fill the stove and how frequent? Do you have access to anthracite coal?

Reactions: webby3650
Sorry to hear about the back problems. They can be a real bear to live with. Doc told me about 5 yrs ago to lay off the heavy work. The way he put it was that I am a 3/4 ton truck with 200,000 miles on the suspension and no longer able to carry the rated load. More like a weak 1/2 ton now. Take care of yourself and don't push it.

On the coal stove, how heavy are the loads to fill the stove and how frequent? Do you have access to anthracite coal?
The bags are 40lbs. I’ve got two young teens and strong wife, they can handle the bags, but not the processing of firewood. We are about 20 miles from a very large Amish community that sells lots of anthracite coal.

It’s 304 inside and out.
As soon as you are done burning clean it and spray everything down with wd40. That will extend the life a little but coal will still eat 304 pretty quick

As soon as you are done burning clean it and spray everything down with wd40. That will extend the life a little but coal will still eat 304 pretty quick
Why do they call it “all fuel”? Thanks for the heads up. I’ve seen you give this advice before to others. I appreciate it.

Why do they call it “all fuel”? Thanks for the heads up. I’ve seen you give this advice before to others. I appreciate it.
No clue why. Oil and gas will do a number on 304 pretty quick as well. It is really only good for wood.

And btw sorry to hear about the back problems. I hope it works out well for you

No clue why. Oil and gas will do a number on 304 pretty quick as well. It is really only good for wood.

And btw sorry to hear about the back problems. I hope it works out well for you
Thanks, I appreciate that. I’ll keep a close eye on the flue too. It’s exterior, it runs through a block wall and up beside a stone wall. I feel it’s as safe as possible considering.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I’ll keep a close eye on the flue too. It’s exterior, it runs through a block wall and up beside a stone wall. I feel it’s as safe as possible considering.
It isn't a safety issue at all. Atleast not untill the coal eats through the liner.

It isn't a safety issue at all. Atleast not untill the coal eats through the liner.
I understand the risk. My point is that’s it’s outside, so the CO risk might be less likely to be an issue. If the flue doesn’t hold up, I’ll put a new one in the same day, no problem..

Reactions: bholler
Sorry to hear about your back, hope it's not to painful and that surgery will help.
Have a friend that crushed several discs, had surgery and he gets around
pretty good without much pain at all, but ignored the doc and hurt himself
pretty soon afterwards.
take care and follow the docs advice.
hope the new stove works out great for you.

Reactions: webby3650
I put in solar this year, looking into heat pumps now.

When my back finally gives up, I'm gonna be ready. :)

It's nice to sit in front of a wood stove. How does a coal stove compare? I imagine there's less to look at, but more heat.

The day I have to buy wood I'm switching to coal. With the right size stove and coal size coal will out perform wood almost always and you can't beat the steady heat output IMO. You will enjoy that stove.