A new chapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I really don't like the smell peronally

Depends on the concentration. Slight is OK. I also remember the yellow plumes coming out of chimneys. That wasnt good at all.

Its hard to get in my area, basically special order through a hardware store at a premium price. Disposing of coal ash even anthracite can be a problem. There are a lot of heavy metals that come along for the ride and end up in ash. Unlike wood ash it should not go in a garden and really should be kept away from an aquifer especially if someone has a surface well. Far better to dispose of in landfill. I realize lots of folks use it for traction on driveways but heavy metals are bound to the coal ash and its just a matter of waiting until it becomes a long term issue. Luckily most insurance companies and mortgage firms don't care right now but one never knows when they will.

In a lot of big older cities, the soils around homes and businesses are toxic from a combination of coal ash dumped and lead paint chips.

By the way coal can also have mercury in it which depending on the source usually goes up the stack. Many of lakes in the northeast even ones in wilderness area have fish advisories due to mercury deposition from coal plants in the midwest.

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
They make some really simple coal boilers too. My dad grew up in portland with a sawdust furnace in his basement that they had to fill. Does coal smell to burn? The outside smell that is?
Oh yes, it has a distinctive smell. It can vary. If high sulfur coal, it really stinks. I had a couple of old folks on my paper route that still burned coal. When I went into their houses on cold winter days to collect it was like walking into a blast furnace. One place had no electricity. Lighting was by kerosene lamps and refrigeration was block ice delivered by the iceman.

Peakbagger brings up a valid concern about ash disposal. Some coal has high heavy metal content that should not get leached into the environment.

Reactions: Woody Stover
For those interested there is a coal burning forum out there. Used to be called NEPA Crossroads or something like that. Think they changed the name of the forum a few years back though. Hard coal burns clean with no smoke. You will still have some odor outside though. Usually a faint wiff of sulfur if your in the right location downwind. I have a small German coal stove ( Wittigsthal) I run one or twice a year if it gets to zero or so. Only hold about 10 pounds of pea coal but will run about 6 hours on that. Webby hope you get that figured out and get better soon. Enjoy the coal stove! I think the blue secondaries are as impressive as any wood buring stove.

Reactions: webby3650
They make some really simple coal boilers too. My dad grew up in portland with a sawdust furnace in his basement that they had to fill. Does coal smell to burn? The outside smell that is?
The only odor I’ve noticed was very slight. Kind of like someone lit a firecracker. I’m burning high quality anthracite, most people wouldn't even notice the smell I don’t think.

For those interested there is a coal burning forum out there. Used to be called NEPA Crossroads or something like that. Think they changed the name of the forum a few years back though. Hard coal burns clean with no smoke. You will still have some odor outside though. Usually a faint wiff of sulfur if your in the right location downwind. I have a small German coal stove ( Wittigsthal) I run one or twice a year if it gets to zero or so. Only hold about 10 pounds of pea coal but will run about 6 hours on that. Webby hope you get that figured out and get better soon. Enjoy the coal stove! I think the blue secondaries are as impressive as any wood buring stove.
I’ve spent a lot of time on the coalpail site lately. It’s a huge forum!

I’ve spent a lot of time on the coalpail site lately. It’s a huge forum!

So which wood stove was removed to make room for the coal stove?

I know coal burning has had virtually no representation here. I’ve decided to give it a try. I’ve ended up with some pretty severe back problems, and will be needing surgery soon. Processing wood has become a thing of the past for me much too soon. I decided to pick up a Hitzer 50-93 hopper stove. So far so good!
I worked in Berne, IN for many years (Hitzer's are built there). Small little shop that has been around for 40 plus years.