A new chapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I didn't get all my wood for free I'd prob be a coal burner myself, my old boss switched over to coal a few years ago, absolutely loves it, the new stoves aren't the old dust buckets they use to be, plus 100k btu's on a typical day.. cant beat that!!
Good luck with the back, I've hurt mine before and actually still healing from a injury back in October, a hurt back really knocks everything out, including moral if your active, get better and listen to the doctors, takes months to heal properly.

Reactions: webby3650
I started buying wood and electrons a few years ago. I've torn ligaments in my back a few times and have been told not to push it. Coal is not an option and I've done pellets in the past. Now we will burn more electrons and less wood. We still like wood heat and a good fire view and I can handle smaller loads, just no more hefting 30"+ rounds any more.

Sorry to hear about your back webby. Any treatment possibilities?

As far as wood goes, what I won't do is spend 15K on wood processing and collecting equipment. I can get a cord delivered for $125-150. Even if its short, the time/money needed to process wood entirely on my own isn't cost effective. I haven't had to buy yet since my property has provided all I need to date. That has been cut with my $150 saw and split with a Fiskars and maul.

If my immediate area stops providing I will buy what I need. Just stacking and hauling would be enough to keep this old back occupied and justify my Miller Time!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your back webby. Any treatment possibilities?

As far as wood goes, what I won't do is spend 15K on wood processing and collecting equipment. I can get a cord delivered for $125-150. Even if its short, the time/money needed to process wood entirely on my own isn't cost effective. I haven't had to buy yet since my property has provided all I need to date. That has been cut with my $150 saw and split with a Fiskars and maul.

If my immediate area stops providing I will buy what I need. Just stacking and hauling would be enough to keep this old back occupied and justify my Miller Time!
I’ve got all the equipment needed and the Miller. I install stoves for a living as well as keep this old horse farm going. I’ve got to cut something out and processing wood is really hard on me. Not to mention drying it, moving it, and carrying it inside. Too bad to, I’ve got more wood than I could ever burn here.

I put in solar this year, looking into heat pumps now.

When my back finally gives up, I'm gonna be ready. :)

It's nice to sit in front of a wood stove. How does a coal stove compare? I imagine there's less to look at, but more heat.
It’s a big glowing mass with blue flames. Not as exciting as a wood fire. The first burn went 36 hours before I added another 40lbs. The glass stays crystal clear which is nice. I thought I had it easy with the BK!

If at some point you think your boys need a little encouragement to leave the nest, you could always request that they start processing wood for you. ;lol

If I ever have to give up wood burning I would go to coal too, seems much easier and you get long, hot burns. Good luck with your back Webby, I have a metal rod in mine so Im no stranger to back problems.

I crushed my sciatic nerve once. Took over 9 months to get it healed. Injury was in my back. The pain was in my leg!

It’s a big glowing mass with blue flames. Not as exciting as a wood fire. The first burn went 36 hours before I added another 40lbs. The glass stays crystal clear which is nice. I thought I had it easy with the BK!
The glass will etch and be foggy after a few years

My splitter is too scary to let anyone else run it. If my son is helping he wears his motocross helmet!
I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, I've had splits explode on my conventional slow splitter..I can imagine what might happen at that speed! _g

I know coal burning has had virtually no representation here. I’ve decided to give it a try. I’ve ended up with some pretty severe back problems, and will be needing surgery soon. Processing wood has become a thing of the past for me much too soon. I decided to pick up a Hitzer 50-93 hopper stove. So far so good!
I wish you the best on your surgery. Hope all goes well.

I crushed my sciatic nerve once. Took over 9 months to get it healed. Injury was in my back. The pain was in my leg!
My pain is mostly in my leg as well.

I would burn wood even if I still had to buy it, would still be way ahead of the game $-wise. No coal to buy around here despite the deep history of it.

The mini-splits put in a year ago really cut down the wood use, my body thanks me for that.

I would burn wood even if I still had to buy it, would still be way ahead of the game $-wise. No coal to buy around here despite the deep history of it.

The mini-splits put in a year ago really cut down the wood use, my body thanks me for that.
If I didn’t live in Amish country I wouldn’t be burning it either. It does cost a little more than wood, but that’s reflected in the benefits of it I think.

Smelling coal burning really takes me back to my childhood.

My splitter is too scary to let anyone else run it. If my son is helping he wears his motocross helmet!
Let him run it solo for awhile..
As you know every now and then you get a certain hunk of wood that might deliver a “backatcha” once you pull the handle..
After a few of them, you get pretty keen as to when that might happen, ,,,, quick ..

They make some really simple coal boilers too. My dad grew up in portland with a sawdust furnace in his basement that they had to fill. Does coal smell to burn? The outside smell that is?