A Newby Question ref Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paulfg

Nov 16, 2021
Corfu,Greece
I have single wall stainless steel flue pipe and have ordered a Stovax magnetic flue thermometer
I know it wont stick with the magnet but the listing says to use either the wire or screw provided to fix it.
My question is what difference in flue temperature does stainless steel give compared to black steel type ie plus/minus .Do in need to add/ subtract from the showing temp .
If I was to buy a probe type thermometer what is suggested as I have read that they are made for twin wall pipe
thanks

Surface flue temps are only approximate. You will not need to do an adjustment unless the thermometer is placed under 15" from the stovetop. At 18" the surface temperature reading will be approximately 50 to 75% of the internal flue gas temperature.