A novel use for those big rounds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
At least the real nice dry ones. Should be able to do a couple of meals on one this size big round fire.JPG

BFD Pics 009.jpgBFD Pics 010.jpg Swedish Candle . . . I made a few of these last year. Pretty neat to see . . . especially at night when the light radiates out through the cut marks.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
And there I went again, thinking that I have seen everything...

You have seen these before . . . well maybe not someone cooking on them . . . or using a slime lime green chainsaw to make them. ;)

Pretty neat. I'm not familiar with these, what do you use for a "wick"? Can you cram a 1/4 super cedar down there and light it? Any particular species of wood work best?
Thanks

That's awesome. Just the thing for one of those 10-12" Cherry rounds I got last Thursday.I can smell the ribeye,onions,peppers & mushrooms in that old cast iron skillet already.....::-)

Reactions: ScotO
See Jay? Now there's no excuse to bring a bag lunch while processing firewood! Bring a chuck wagon and feed the crew!

Seriously, nifty idea!

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for sharing - I never saw this before. Very cool. As someone else asked, how do you light it and is there any woods best for it? Can't wait to surprise my wife/family with one some night.

I can only speak to my own . . . since I ended up cutting the wood the same day I lit it I ended up using some tinder, part of a Super Cedar crammed into the crevice and some lighter fluid before the "candle" finally took off. If I was to do this again I would cut it up several weeks to months ahead of time.

What's the best wood for smoars?.......Marsh Willow!;lol

Reactions: JeffersonCoKs
Very cool idea.
A wooden, 1 burner, wood burning cook stove.

Timer built in by what type of wood you make it from.
Pine, fast cooking meals, Oak - longer cooking times :)

That's awesome. Just the thing for one of those 10-12" Cherry rounds I got last Thursday.I can smell the ribeye,onions,peppers & mushrooms in that old cast iron skillet already.....::-)

I'm thinking the same thing. Dammit...now I have to try it.

Geeze, you people... Now my mouth is watering. Like Pavlov's dog! What a cool idea.

I like. Now i have to keep some round just for that. I also need to get/make a grate for my fire pit.

I know whata I'm gonna do w/all that big elm I get ;)

Reactions: AJS56
Very cool ADKJAKE! Thanks for sharin man. Appreciate it.

I went to a big party last year late in the season.
they had about 6 of those about 6 ft tall burning.
each one had people standing around keeping warm.

very cool idea. looks cool in the black of night from a distance too.

I never thought about using one for cooking on.
thats a new camping trick I can try this year.

Quick question...you put anything on the inside to start it up?

I went to a big party last year late in the season.
they had about 6 of those about 6 ft tall burning.
each one had people standing around keeping warm.

very cool idea. looks cool in the black of night from a distance too.

I never thought about using one for cooking on.
thats a new camping trick I can try this year.

I recommend something less than 6 feet tall if you're planning on cooking on it. ;lol

What a cool idea!! Got some big dry soft maple I was gonna split- now I'm just gonna lice ot for campstoves!

Quick question...you put anything on the inside to start it up?
Diesel fuel or charcoal lighter is what I use. Make em outta hardwood & you can get 4-5 hour burns. Great for cooking. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.