A small idea enlarged into a big idea from a simple stove to a whole new room with construction..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Changing threads here to accommodate this new mode of thinking...First it was a pellet stove for an emergency, then it evolved into a few different wood burning stoves to where I finally bought one of them...J.A. Roby Sirius cook stove that will be installed on May 5th in the room that seems to never end with work..I will figure out a way to get a few before pictures and now as it progresses, Started off with a open room with river rock and now has graduated to a concrete patio that is enclosed now with three windows and two doors... and the work goes on and on...This has had a whole cast of characters that either did physical work or some mental work by this forum as it progressed into a pretty large project...Today the river rock arrives because I cancelled out the concrete path for it was not lined up right to my liking to begin with as well as being real slippery in cold wet weather for I am a old lady of 75 and do not want to fall at least trying to avoid this--lol Thanks for all the encouragement of the people on this forum and as we know this work continues and seems never to end...Right now I have a young one taking all the scrap wood and putting it in a home made deal that used to be steps and stacking it pretty for future use. Then I will throw over a tarp and wait for a time to build a small wood shed..and throw it all in...I also need to get some things like a fire extinguisher, a moisture meter and a thingy that tells you how hot the stack is among other things to get ready for my very first real fire and the installer promised he would should me how...not knowing that I am afraid of fire--lol--He will have his hands full..lol clancey

Stove room 005.JPG back porch 002.JPG french doors 001.JPG porch picture  3-20-2021 018.JPG

Well this is the next installment on this construction project-----River Rock Arrived But------it is too large in size and you cannot walk on it--I thought it was pee size--they are working it out to take it back and get me the right size but they already dumped it as I was babysitting the worker who was not feeling well (young one)--thinking it was a hang over but he denied this...lol..Furthermore--the two men from home advisor never arrived to spread the rock---this saga goes on and on here...Right now I have Boulders in my driveway and have to park in my city space and waiting for the stone company to call me..I got home advisor to cancel out my payment and the bank lady hung up on me because I was talking too loud..The next customer care one was nice and I was calmer as well...My carpenter will be back next week with the stove installer but he needed a week off--worked hard he did ...I am tired just by keeping the clean up going and waitress duty and cook as well for my men...I am sure this story will continue but the only on going thing is how to get the boulders out of my driveway but the stone company is working on this--so I feel this will be okay in the end...The electric work is finished but waiting for the dry wall to be completed so we can cap off those things and in the meanwhile I have wires hanging and boxes loose hanging on the walls.. I really think I am too old for this but will continue as we progress. Thanks everyone--I need prayers now...Clancey...

Have some more pictures: Some pictures of my bird loft and fly pen outside..Also Boulder pictures in my driveway--ugh..bye clancey

back porch 002.JPG back porch 001.JPG back porch 003.JPG back porch 013.JPG back porch 017.JPG back porch 005.JPG

Last edited:
You two are funny..I wish that JD Tractor was here--can you ship it? lol Still deciding on how they are going to exchange the stone for pea size rock.. If its a draw I will ship you the rock--lol clancey

Later I am going to get stone on maybe two walls in back of the stove but in the meanwhile I have cement board being put up and what do I use for stone stick on--thinking of mortar or something for Home Depot asked me if I was going to use mortar or some type of something --glue or something and I did not know how to answer when I got the cement board pieces.. Yea speaking of stone I am having "nightmares" over the outside driveway stone for it is too big and waiting for their phone call to try to fix this "problem" But right now do I use Mortar or glue stuff (plastic ingredients) on the cement boards in the stove room..clancey

Have you decided the stone product you want to use? They have all sorts of manufactured stone now. If this is what you've chosen, I'd use what was recommended by the manufacturer. I could guess, be wrong. And then have it fall down in a year! That stone is going to expand and contract quite a bit from the stove cycles.

Now I do know that if I get tile that it will be cork board and is this better for lasting? I want stone but not whole pieces maybe a veneer or something like that---is that thinner? Help me decide good people and right now i have cement board up on the one side because to me it sounded more fire proof--lol...Does tile get hotter than stone and does stone give off more lasting heat?? What did you all put up on your walls? Does that plastic stuff melt or catch on fire----help...Need to know soon because my carpenter needs to know and is pressuring me to decide on the wall in back of the stove and the installer will be here on wed and I want another company to do it but down the road because of money...Should I get brick but it seems so dark to me----Wed is the day...Hey Eaten what would you put on your walls? clancey

Continuation from posting above: What I think I am going to do is leave the one cement board there and leave the other wood wall unfinished until I decide because it is putting pressure on me.. I want something that is fireproof and secure for this old house. I am going to check into stone slabs as well--anybody have experience with those? So far I think brick would be the best and I can get white brick I think...maybe even a nice granite...Maybe even a steel backing--kidding---to give it that industrial look--this whole house has that industrial look--lol lol.. I want something that is easy to maintain and not falling off the walls with the changing temperatures and moisture.. Maybe I will just get brick for they used that in fireplaces for years and make chimneys out of it too...clancey

The material should be what makes you happy. As long as clearances are observed, you can choose what you want.

My englander is in the basement, so just concrete around that.

My PE has wainscoting behind it up to waist height. Drywall above that.

When my Century was being actively used, it just had drywall surrounding the hearth pad.

Thanks and I am tending towards a light shade of brick and I will talk to the installer when he does the stove and see how he would do it and if I can get some of the price down as well---negotiation time...Gosh you had three different type of stoves and which one do you like the best may I ask---do you have a favorite "limestone"? I even checked out a limestone stone but it is the soft variety...clancey

I am tending towards something simply that I can wipe off like maybe a colorful blue tile or something...Now is dura cement board rough side okay to put this stuff up with some kind of mortar--what kind? Would I need a heat shield because I have two by fours and wood in back of it--the wall where the tile would be placed? clancey

This rock seller and I are in what one would call negotiations and it ain't going well as of now..but there is still hope,,,clancey

I am tending towards something simply that I can wipe off like maybe a colorful blue tile or something...Now is dura cement board rough side okay to put this stuff up with some kind of mortar--what kind? Would I need a heat shield because I have two by fours and wood in back of it--the wall where the tile would be placed? clancey
There is no need for shielding if the stove clearances are honored. The stove requires 10" clearance behind it to combustibles (the wood studs) and 20" to each side. There is nothing gained by adding something non-combustible behind it except perhaps more peace of mind. Tile would be the easiest to clean. It will adhere permanently to the cement board when applied with a good latex-modified thinset. Another option would be to cover it with stainless steel or other sheet metal for a more industrial look.

Thanks that's just the information that I need and I think that I want a darker blue tile or something like that...The net tells one all kinds of really different information --all different concoctions and not much about wood stove backing unless it is a fireplace mantle or a hearth but I did not spend a long time looking either...Looking at diagrams with five different layers on top of one another--lol...We are in for a major rain storm and I am sitting in my porch with it all closed up with a cup of coffee waiting for the porch"s first rain---How exciting this is..clancey

Of the 3, I liked the Englander least. It was big, and did the job, but I never fell in love with it. The Century was a real small east west style stove. I loved it! It was a set it and forget it stove that heated up and threw heat fast. The large ash pan was wonderful. The PE T5 is the best of all. My only complaint has been the ease at which it breathes.

I ran a CDW Rocky mountain my first year. It was first generation cat technology and I had a lot of trouble with it. It was probably my wood that was the issue. I found the Century on clearance at lowes. I got it for $242 out the door.

Got to love a stove deal like that! How tall is the flue system on the T5? Do you have a stove pipe damper on it?

From the top of the stove I have single wall up to the ceiling. Maybe 5 feet. 18" up from the top of the stove is a key damper that closes off the flue except for the little cutouts down the center. At the ceiling I have 12 ft of Metalbestos Class A.

Attachments

• 20201211_185029.jpg
    20201211_185029.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 140
I can start the fire with the damper closed. It doesnt start as fast as when it's open, but I didn't realize it was closed until I went to close it.

It wasn't until I put the damper in that I realized how little air goes through a shut primary. I figure the open damper area and open feed areas have to be roughly similar.

It wasn't until I put the damper in that I realized how little air goes through a shut primary. I figure the open damper area and open feed areas have to be roughly similar.
We have 20' straight up except for an offset at the stove. The draft is just about perfect.

Well D Day has arrived... The stove installer will be here this Wed and he is bringing a helper, and my carpenter will be here to finish up his work and the "boulder pickup man" will bring his truck to get all the rocks out of the driveway---you guessed it--Wed.. I tried hard to rearrange times but not one of these workers could come off the time for another time---so I will have a house full of working men and I am going to get my lawn chair and my special tobacco and my coffee and watch this whole affair...The war has started....clancey

• Haha
Reactions: SpaceBus
Hi if anyone can help me because I only want the last four pictures up and not the whole row of them coming from previous postings how do I get rid of the previous ones so they will not become part of my present posting? clancey