A solution for those impossible-to-get Vermont Castings remote controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stripedbass

Apr 29, 2010
Boston
I have a Vermont Castings Stardance (SDV30RF) direct vent gas stove . It uses gas logs. Mine is actually made for propane but has a conversion kit that allows me to use it with natural gas.

My model is no longer made by Vermont Castings. I love this stove. It comes with a remote control that's made by Honeywell (RT8220A 1032). I would like to keep my stove, especially since I've kept it in great condition. Since I have long-term plans of renting out my place, I have to ask myself whether I want to keep this stove. What if a tenant broke the remote control? While there are some universal remotes out there that can work with some VC stoves, my model, and a couple of others, cannot use these universal remotes because the original remotes had a comfort control feature. For example, the original remote can control the flame size and the fan speed.

My stove has a manual switch but it cannot adjust the flame size or fan speed. It just turns the stove on and off.

A few days ago, a VC dealer (not in my immediate area) but who goes the extra mile to take care of her customers looked into this issue for me after I explained to her the problem. She informed me that VC was bought by Hearth & Home Technologies which also bought Heat & Glo. The dealer, after locating the right technician at Hearth & Home, was told that I could get something called a Honeywell to SIT conversion made by either Heat & Glo or Hearth & Home (she couldn't remember which). This would then enable me to use a Smart Stat Remote/Receiver.

Has anyone here encountered this terminology/solution?

I'm not a hearth technician, just a VC stove owner. I was just curious. I was really grateful for the the effort this dealer put in to get an answer for me (she even got me the part numbers). As some of you may know, it's impossible for customers to talk to Vermont Castings. They refer everyone to their dealers in one's area. But if a dealer did not install your stove, or you're not interested in ordering a whole new stove, he's really not interested in your problems, I feel.

Last edited:
I know at one point, which on a Stardance depended on the layout (i.e. which side the pilot was on) they had retrofit control systems: new valve, new pilot, new remote and receiver system that could be installed in place of the originals. Worked well, but was not cheap. System parameters changed in the sense that the new remote was power dependent, so it would need power for the flame & fan controls to work, although you would still have a manual function (basic on /off) that would work in extended power failures. not sure whatever became of those, but IIRC the remote replacement was an Ambient Technologies branded one, and I don't think they exist anymore.

Found a link to the old Tech Bulletin explaining the kits - maybe see if you can find one (provided your stove is the proper version).

can't you just run a thermostat line to it and handle it that way? i have my radiance on a thermostat.

Comfort Control System, made by Honeywell, is an excellent system in theory. The whole gas valve, and RF system, is powered by the dual thermo-piles in the pilot. all the ones manufactured since then , require wall power , or battery power .
The remote not only controls the flame, but also the blower.

In reality, they were lemons. I heard of one service tech, that installed three different valves, before he found one that worked. They quit manufacturing this system in 2004. I have found some in stoves manufactured since then, as I believe they used up the rest of their stock.
I have converted probably about 10-12 systems like this, to newer control systems. A few I used the SIT conversion kit, and the rest I have come up with my own parts, and upgraded it to the ProFlame 2 system.

(I know somebody will mention this, so I will say it first. Since I am replacing components that the stove wasn't tested with, I open myself up to being liable for any, and every thing that could possibly happen. But on the flip side, as a service tech, if I as much as look at a stove, I am responsible.
If the ProFlame 2 system, or any quick drop out pilot, is installed PROPERLY, it will be safer than the Dual thermo-pile system. Certainly not to be done by the homeowner.)

If you are just worried about a broken remote, I have some of those laying around here. The problem with the Comfort Control system is, the main IC goes bad. I have spent extensive time and money researching this.

Tech Guru,

I've spent some time reading your thoughtful response to my post (thanks). But I'm not a technician so it's hard to understand the link you kindly provided.

I know at one point, which on a Stardance depended on the layout (i.e. which side the pilot was on) they had retrofit control systems: new valve, new pilot, new remote and receiver system that could be installed in place of the originals. Worked well, but was not cheap. System parameters changed in the sense that the new remote was power dependent, so it would need power for the flame & fan controls to work, although you would still have a manual function (basic on /off) that would work in extended power failures. not sure whatever became of those, but IIRC the remote replacement was an Ambient Technologies branded one, and I don't think they exist anymore.

Found a link to the old Tech Bulletin explaining the kits - maybe see if you can find one (provided your stove is the proper version).

Furnace To Fireplace,

Thanks for your response.

You have converted about a dozen of stoves like mine? What do you think of the SIT conversion kit?

My remote control is fine. I'm just worried about what would happen if it broke or got lost. Is it worth getting the SIT conversion kit plus some needed vent work that is unrelated to the remote but that I've put off?

Comfort Control System, made by Honeywell, is an excellent system in theory. The whole gas valve, and RF system, is powered by the dual thermo-piles in the pilot. all the ones manufactured since then , require wall power , or battery power .

In reality, they were lemons. I heard of one service tech, that installed three different valves, before he found one that worked. They quit manufacturing this system in 2004. I have found some in stoves manufactured since then, as I believe they used up the rest of their stock.
I have converted probably about 10-12 systems like this, to newer control systems. A few I used the SIT conversion kit, and the rest I have come up with my own parts, and upgraded it to the ProFlame 2 system.

(I know somebody will mention this, so I will say it first. Since I am replacing components that the stove wasn't tested with, I open myself up to being liable for any, and every thing that could possibly happen. But on the flip side, as a service tech, if I as much as look at a stove, I am responsible.
If the ProFlame 2 system, or any quick drop out pilot, is installed PROPERLY, it will be safer than the Dual thermo-pile system. Certainly not to be done by the homeowner.)

If you are just worried about a broken remote, I have some of those laying around here. The problem with the Comfort Control system is, the main IC goes bad. I have spent extensive time and money researching this.

Furnace To Fireplace,

Thanks for your response.

You have converted about a dozen of stoves like mine? What do you think of the SIT conversion kit?

My remote control is fine. I'm just worried about what would happen if it broke or got lost. Is it worth getting the SIT conversion kit plus some needed vent work that is unrelated to the remote but that I've put off?
The SIT conversion kit works, but it will dumb it down to where it is only flame on/off with the remote. The flame height and blower speed have to be adjusted by turning knobs located underneath the stove.

The SIT conversion kit works, but it will dumb it down to where it is only flame on/off with the remote. The flame height and blower speed have to be adjusted by turning knobs located underneath the stove.

FTF,

Thanks.

That's definitely not as convenient as doing everything from one easy location.

Anyhow, I meant to include the info below in my original post (it shows the prices for the parts). I got it from that kind VC dealer:

Part Part Number
Natural Gas Conversion kit #20010811 ($213.00)
(Honeywell to Sit conversion, made by Heat & Glo or Hearth & Home Technologies)

Smart Stat Remote/Receiver #smart-stat-hng
(made by Heat & Glo). ($239.00)

FTF,

Thanks.

That's definitely not as convenient as doing everything from one easy location.

Anyhow, I meant to include the info below in my original post (it shows the prices for the parts). I got it from that kind VC dealer:

Part Part Number
Natural Gas Conversion kit #20010811 ($213.00)
(Honeywell to Sit conversion, made by Heat & Glo or Hearth & Home Technologies)

Smart Stat Remote/Receiver #smart-stat-hng
(made by Heat & Glo). ($239.00)
That is only for the gas valve. The blower speed control, and temp switch, are not included. You also have to get a remote, or wall switch to operate the gas valve. If you are converting from the Honeywell dual thermo-pile pilot, you will also need a complete new pilot assembly.

That is only for the gas valve. The blower speed control, and temp switch, are not included. You also have to get a remote, or wall switch to operate the gas valve. If you are converting from the Honeywell dual thermo-pile pilot, you will also need a complete new pilot assembly.

FTF,

If I got all the needed parts to make the conversion work, how much do you think they would total?

On the other hand, a new VC Stardance (natural gas), that does not need any conversion, will cost around $3000?

By any chance, do you happen to still have some of these remotes laying around? I have searched high and low for one. I am referring to the RT8220A . Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Nel
Hi my remote melted…. Do u have a remote I can purchase?
Yes I do.
I'm in canada.
Send me a picture of your remote,it's is in very good condition .

16453047532566934349512683778627.jpg 16453048995318617212612141987621.jpg 16453049402502683608225534994764.jpg

I’m still trying to fix mine but if I can’t I’ll reach out again, …however I’m in Hamilton, On ( bit of a drive) so we’d have to sort something out. Thanks for replying.
I have both remote and a used ng gas valve with the card .

why do people need a remote? can't you just use a thermostat? esp. a smart thermostat.

why do people need a remote? can't you just use a thermostat? esp. a smart thermostat.
This is a specific remote operated gas valve system. It cannot be wired alternately and retain all of it's function - the flame height, fan speed and thermostatic control is all only operational by the remote. It was a pretty neat system it its day, but Honeywell just abandoned making it when they got out of the hearth control industry in the late aughties. Some manufacturers came out with control retrofit kits (new valve, new remote system) but those are becoming disco'ed and harder to come across.

Reactions: rwh63