A tale of rabid deer and dented tailgates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
... and a question as to what to do about that tailgate.

So, I’m outside cleaning up leaves near my wood piles, when my wife comes out to tell me there’s an injured deer in the front yard. I go around the house to check it out, and it’s a good sized 6-point whitetail buck. I shoo her inside, figuring I’d rather just have to worry about myself if he decides to charge, and observe him for several minutes.

There was no sign of injury. No blood, no broken antlers, no limping... but there was something clearly wrong with him. He was struggling with balance, seemed to be unaware of my presence, and was just walking in a 10-foot circle. He must have circled 50 times in ten minutes, as he slowly made his way around towards my wood piles in the back. He ran into a few obstacles, losing his balance each time, and I was not able to scare him off with yelling or hand waving.

My wife looked up the symptoms for rabies, and every item in the description matched this deer, with the exception it was not aggressive (the article did say “may” be aggressive, not “would” be aggressive). After some phone tag between the state police and the game warden (who had no officers on duty), and my admission that I was inside the 150 yard perimeter to occupied structures required for discharging a firearm in PA, the state police finally agreed to come put him down for me.

Long story short, the cop maybe wasn’t the best shot, as his attempted chest shot at 10 yards hit the deer in the ass. The deer went down, but pretty quickly jumped up and ran into the tailgate of my new-to-me (and very clean) truck 50 feet away. Nice crease in the new tailgate.

After a bit of corralling it around the yard, it fell into a ravine, and he was able to finish it off. The game warden sent one of their contractors out that evening to retrieve the carcass.

Fun story, and perhaps a candidate for the Farmer’s Insurance “we’ve seen it all, because we’ve covered it all” commercials, but now I’m trying to figure out what to do about that tailgate. I resisted asking the guy for a police report, so I could claim it. After all, he was just there to help me out, and I don’t really feel like negating the donations I’ve made to the various police fundraisers this year.

Since there’s no paint damage, I’ve heard there are folks that work out a small crease or dent from the back side, but I have no idea how to find or flush out such a service. Any advice?

Crazy story. Never heard of deer getting rabies. Dealers especially pre-owned often use paint-less dent guys and can probably steer you in the right direction. Possibly the PD will provide the report, doesn't have to indicate any fault on their part. Just that they had to come out for a sick injured animal, but the repair may not end up making it worth it to got through insurance depending on your deductible.

Find a used take off tailgate with the same color? A quick internet search should point you in the right direction for used auto parts and take off parts.

... and a question as to what to do about that tailgate.

So, I’m outside cleaning up leaves near my wood piles, when my wife comes out to tell me there’s an injured deer in the front yard. I go around the house to check it out, and it’s a good sized 6-point whitetail buck. I shoo her inside, figuring I’d rather just have to worry about myself if he decides to charge, and observe him for several minutes.

There was no sign of injury. No blood, no broken antlers, no limping... but there was something clearly wrong with him. He was struggling with balance, seemed to be unaware of my presence, and was just walking in a 10-foot circle. He must have circled 50 times in ten minutes, as he slowly made his way around towards my wood piles in the back. He ran into a few obstacles, losing his balance each time, and I was not able to scare him off with yelling or hand waving.

My wife looked up the symptoms for rabies, and every item in the description matched this deer, with the exception it was not aggressive (the article did say “may” be aggressive, not “would” be aggressive). After some phone tag between the state police and the game warden (who had no officers on duty), and my admission that I was inside the 150 yard perimeter to occupied structures required for discharging a firearm in PA, the state police finally agreed to come put him down for me.

Long story short, the cop maybe wasn’t the best shot, as his attempted chest shot at 10 yards hit the deer in the ass. The deer went down, but pretty quickly jumped up and ran into the tailgate of my new-to-me (and very clean) truck 50 feet away. Nice crease in the new tailgate.

After a bit of corralling it around the yard, it fell into a ravine, and he was able to finish it off. The game warden sent one of their contractors out that evening to retrieve the carcass.

Fun story, and perhaps a candidate for the Farmer’s Insurance “we’ve seen it all, because we’ve covered it all” commercials, but now I’m trying to figure out what to do about that tailgate. I resisted asking the guy for a police report, so I could claim it. After all, he was just there to help me out, and I don’t really feel like negating the donations I’ve made to the various police fundraisers this year.

Since there’s no paint damage, I’ve heard there are folks that work out a small crease or dent from the back side, but I have no idea how to find or flush out such a service. Any advice?
Maybe get one of those slick cargo net tailgates. Supposedly helps with mileage as the wind drag is reduced.

Either that or just enjoy the new character of the tailgate. Comes with a great story.

While you're at it, maybe get that thing that hangs down from the trailer hitch that looks like balls.

Reactions: Ashful
sorry for your dent ashful but i knew with a title like this i was going to get a laugh. bum badum bum bum

not rabies but CWD- Chronic Wasting desease-

Reactions: vinny11950
not rabies but CWD- Chronic Wasting desease-
I’ve learned a bit about that, since the event. If this guy had it, he was early stage, as he was a very healthy weight. Healthy enough that I didn’t want to get in his way.

What caught my eye is that the prions from CWD can remain active on the soil for YEARS. This guy left plenty of blood and saliva on the ground all around my chickens’ foraging area. There is evidence of avian vectoring of the disease, with the prions remaining viable after passing thru the birds digestive tracts, which is damn impressive. It gives me some concern about the eggs we’re eating from those birds.

I haven’t found direct mention of any transmission from deer thru chicken to human transmission, but even the short Wiki on this disease concludes with, “remain a subject of public health surveillance and research."

Last edited:
Leave that tailgate just like it is.

Without evidence it was just another tall tail. With proof you will have years of story telling fun!

Reactions: Ashful
Here's hoping your police donations somehow support target practice. Missing that shot that far at 10 yd is ridiculous and resulted in suffering and a mess.

My insurance company does not require a police report for comprehensive claims - at least it hasn't yet.
Also, typically comprehensive coverage has a low deductible.

Don't remember how many times I have heard that same song about leo's trying to put something down. On the other I have known a few that were excellent shots. Guess it depends on their personal priorities.

Prions are interesting proteins. The great Susan Lindquist explains it.

In more detail.

Amazing stuff.