A woodstove kind of day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
It's 40 degrees outside and rainy. Already an inch in the rain gauge. Just the sort of day for some good reading in front of the stove, or maybe just a nice lay about on the floor sucking up some heat!
IMG_20200124_103327605.jpg IMG_20200124_103419780.jpg

Gorgeous! Does that bad boy have a blower, or just radiant?

Jotul F600, just a free standing wood stove, no blower, sitting in front of the fireplace opening. What you can't see in the photos above is that the chimney is in the center of the house and is 8 feet by 4 feet by 16 feet tall. It extends down another level of the house where two more stoves have flues into it. One is a Woodstock Classic that I heat the den with downstairs and the other one is an antique cooking stove in the downstairs kitchen that came with the house, but I've never lit a fire in it.
DSC_0291.JPG

With all that thermal mass I get a lot of residual heat long after the stove burns out. When I shoot the bricks below the mantel with my IR thermometer I get a 160 F reading, for example. With the mantle heat shield the mantel itself will only be about 120 F. Even the backside of the chimney, which serves as a kitchen wall, the bricks will be 90 F.

Last edited:
Welcome back, Nick! Haven’t seen much of you, lately. Always admired your setup.

The corduroy pants also add to the comfy, cozy feeling one gets sitting near a warm stove..until it comes time to get the cat hair off of them. ;lol

That stove is a rear vent?

Hi Nick, beautiful stove and setup. North Carolina sure sounds inviting this time of year- I know rain is heading here tomorrow. The stoves up here will be going. Take care.

The Jotol F 600 comes with a reversible collar so it can vent up or back. My setup has it venting out the back so I can get in under the fireplace lentil. I have about a 22' flue, so it drafts real well.