A word about cutting floor registers in and things to consider.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

A word about cutting floor registers in and things to consider. There is a tremendous amount of research and case studies, of how fire spreads. Your floors and ceilings are natural fire containment barriers.
Containment, buys you precious time to safely exit a fire situation.
Today rough framing inspection, we inspectors, are schooled to inspect fire stopping and draft stopping. Why Containment?
It’s been a while I posted these concerns. It seems many did not read prior post, or have forgotten the dangers of this practice. For those that did not know , yes you are increasing your personal safety and your families. One poster has cut an opening directly above the stove? I would hope, he shares the additional safety thought while making this decision. So that others do not follow suit, without factoring the risk. Then there is the issue of the easy transmission of Carbon monoxide. I have sat threw seminars discussing and viewing films as to how fire and smoke spreads. The dangers I mentioned are real. The point I am making, you have made a decision moving heat around , is worth sacrificing your personal safety. What I disagree with, is advocating others to do the same

I'm with you 100% on this issue elk. People certainly don't realize the importance of walls and ceilings in relation to the spread of fire.

When I installed our floor register, I made sure it was not directly over the stove (although it wasn't feasible anyway), and I also installed a radiation damper with a 160 degree fusible link. At first glance, these dampers were very expensive. However I was referred to a site by a member here that provided very reasonably priced units. For the price it cost and the piece of mind it will give me, it would have been silly to pass it up.

Anyone considering cutting holes in their floor should absolutely weigh out the dangers and at the very least, be certain to use a radiation damper.

Very, very helpful!! I for one could use a bit of a tutorial of how to put in safe registers... Elkimmeg, do you think there is a safe way to have registers or do you see them as dangerous, period. Corie do you have the link for the dampers you found? It would be awful nice to be able to move heat upstairs- but not worth the wellness of my family!!

Cori please post a link and pricing for the fuesable link dampers.

there are the common saftey devices that should be in place Additional Smoke detectors will be needed,
as you natural stair way protection air currents have now been altered Carbon Monoxide sensors should be factored in.

Engineering, usnderstanding how to feed air and return it is very important . So locactions of grills is very important to suscessfull
heat transmission. The key is not moving the light warm air but removing the heavier cooler air The example I give often, is one places a 20 oz coke bottle under a fawcet for 3 minutes or 24 hours once the coke bottle is filled its filled. Moving air without proper returns is a simmilar proposition as the coke bottle

But air can move in two directions through the same opening, yes? The opening has to be large enough, though, right? So my staircase leading from basement to first floor, would be preferable to cutting registers. And this should be a large enough opening.

I'm not on my home computer so I don't have the link to the radiation dampers. I will be certain to post it up later tonight.

Cool,
I'll have to research into a 10 x 14 one to replace the one that is directly over my stove!

nice! very helpful thanks....

I don't want to Hi-jack the other thread that brought this old thread to life so I'm posting here.

We have had two house inspectors, three stove/chimney pro's and two insurance inspectors look and work on our install. I am shaking my head in disbelief that out of 7 people in the "safety business" not one of them mentioned anything. Not even a friggin hint that it could be a problem!

The house is a 1977 raised ranch and the cut out is to the side of the stove still in the area of the chimney and outside wall. The bedrooms are on the other end of the house I have a brand new install including an insulated S.S. lined chimney and stove, all to latest code whatever standard I've heard you guys reference.

I also have CO2 and smoke detectors throughout the house. So with all that said I will add the fire stop vent and always keep in mind it may not be the perfect answer but definitely safer than the direct path the old owner provided. I plan on remodeling the room so may look into a different air moving solution. Although this one works so well I hate to give it up!!!

Thanks for looking out for our safety!

Link to fuseable fire stops

I remodeled my office a few years back and the fire inspector made us install these between floors and in the air feed for existing systems. He took the time to explain to me that the fusible link will close the path off in the event of overheating. You may want to check the temp that is at that vent on the side of the stove and compare it to the link release temp.

As said before, many houses have these type of vents installed to move heat. I think you are making a good move to install the fire damper in that venting; it may save the life of the one's you love-or yours-Good choice and congratulations for keeping your attention on what is important and not just money.

HI Mandoo,

Sorry to hear that these 'professionals' did not know this. I guess knowing every line of the law is hard. But then again, this seems like an essential thing to know.

I am also happy to know that you do your research and not immediately 'get mad' if people raise questions about your install. Sometimes, because we don't meet face to face, I worry that people take advise the wrong way and get offended. Glad you didn't!!!

Good luck and I am glad you will be a lot safer in the near future!!!!

Carpniels

Leelli said:
I have an open stairwell that leads from my basement to the first floor (as do almost every house in my area). Should I install a 4 foot by 8 foot fire damper in it?

Yes you should! and make sure to post a picture of it! (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.