Abused my chain, pls help! (volunteer pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
The original chain on my Husky 435 was beaten up very badly while removing stumps at a charity event the other day (volunteering w/ my company to help an old women out: http://factsethomefront.shutterfly.com/, pic of me w/. the saw: http://factsethomefront.shutterfly.com/81). It was run in the dirt more than I'd like to admit removing bushes for her. The poor saw wouldn't cut butter no matter how much I hand sharpened by the end of the day:

9gby9c.jpg

99e06b.jpg

Anyway, the chain has helped process 8+ cords of wood this year and while not to the wear mark at the end of the cutters, it needs some major help. I've always sharpened by hand, but now that I've run out of 3/16 files, it's time to buy new ones. Do I buy 3/16 files again or 13/64 like this EBAY ad states for a worn .325 chain?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-Chain...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4155d79bce

That chain isn't going to notice a difference of 1/64" either way. But I'd add a few new loops to your order while your at it. That chain has seen better days.

To add I cut exclusively hardwoods, wet hardwoods if that makes a difference.

So for the average homeowner, just keep on with the 3/16 round files?

Yeah, it was prettier b4 the charity event, but what can I say...it was worth it for charity and I knew I was going to ding it up bad in the dirt.

So for the average homeowner, just keep on with the 3/16 round files?

3/16 file is fine.
New chain or 2 a good idea to have around when one is that well used.

Check your rim/sprocket drive too,
With that much wear on the chain , I bet it's has some wear on it too.

That chain still has some cutting left to it. File away!

Go get a cheap Craftsman Dremel-style tool, get some Oregon 3/16th stones, and go to work on that chain. There's still plenty of life left in it. But, being you're going to have to take a good bit of meat off of each cutter, you're going to have to take the rakers down as well......the raker is the little 'tooth' that sits in front of each cutter.......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just looked at some pictures and it appears there was a large gathering. Lots of work can get done in a short time that way. Nice of you to help.

Reactions: ScotO
Go get a cheap Craftsman Dremel-style tool, get some Oregon 3/16th stones, and go to work on that chain. There's still plenty of life left in it. But, being you're going to have to take a good bit of meat off of each cutter, you're going to have to take the rakers down as well......the raker is the little 'tooth' that sits in front of each cutter.......

I see Bailey's has some of those dremel-type tools on closeout!

Reactions: ScotO
I'm wondering if I go to the caddilac ( to match my insert? :p) of hand sharpening and pick up a Granberg for precision or go the dremel route as I cut 99% orf my stuff at my house.. I have a generic Dremel tool, but unsure if the angle guide seen here would attach properly:

I volunteer as much as I can. I buddy and I went back with our saws (my 435, his 440 Husky) and cut down 4 small trees. First time I ever felled a tree. Fun but whatever that wood was, was hard as nails. He called it a dogwood w/ flowers. Gummed up the saw something fierce!

I don't even use an angle guide and it works just fine. My dremel has a dc plug in so I can use the atv and sharpen the chain right out in the woods.

EDIT: I also do not sharpen both sides from the same side. I like being behind the chain as I sharpen the same as if using a file.

I was referring to the grinder itself. The Carlton is on closeout. Regular $34.95 on sale for $19.99. The Granberg regular price is $29.95 on sale for $26.99

You can get a box of stones (25) for $33.99

I already have a dremel and will be sharpening in my garage almost exclusively, so I'll grab some bits and give that a shot. What the heck. Thanks for the help.

That chain deserves to be retired after 8 cords and cutting dirt at the charity event......buy a few new loops

Reactions: Nixon
Ya, I think the chain is done. Top of the chain teeth actually look rounded it is so worn. You will have to grind it down to almost nothing, then the rakes. Also, lot of times I file my 026 loops with my 441 files. It does a good job but seems not quite as sharp but stays sharp long enough.

I was referring to the grinder itself. The Carlton is on closeout. Regular $34.95 on sale for $19.99. The Granberg regular price is $29.95 on sale for $26.99

I picked one of these up with the coupon on the cheap. Not bad for the price, but I'm not too thrilled with the battery life. Quality is lower than a dremel, I do like the guide it has, just not sure how it's going to hold up.

I picked up some grinding stones and an oem husky chain for backup when I finish toasting this chain. :p

Reactions: Beer Belly
I buried mine in the dirt recently cutting roots....really buried it....took a beating, but cleaned up with WD-40, sharpened it up, and we were back to cuttin'......did take a bit of sharpening though

The original chain on my Husky 435 was beaten up very badly while removing stumps at a charity event the other day

I'm all for helping people that need the help. But, charity stump removal?

And more importantly how do I sign up?

It was more cut the stumps level with the ground... thus the damage to the chain. :p

Time to put that chain out to pasture. My $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.