Accurate Tank temp. readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I am not getting accurate temp readings on my storage tank. I am using coventional boiler temp/pressure gauges on the top, middle, and bottom of the tank. The gauges are in 1/2" pipe thats about 12" inches long coming out of the tank and I think that is the problem. I found some digital thermocouple type thermometers on ebay. Could I just tape the end of the thermocouple to the outside of the steel tank and get accurate readings? I would think the outside of the steel tank would be the same temp as the water inside within a few degrees.

Yes.

I use a digital panel thermometer ($25 on ebay item #330244224131) and ductaped the probe to the outside of my tank to monitor the temps at the bottom and use a 18" longstem thermometer 1/2" NPT threaded into the top of my tank in direct contact with the water to monitor temps in the top. Have compared the two and they read within 1 degree of each other so i would say that tapeing probes to the outside the tank works very well based on my own experience. I picked up a second panel thermometer so that i can read my boiler temps in F vs celcius. They are inexpensive and very accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_7154.JPG
    IMG_7154.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7518.JPG
    IMG_7518.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 236
Have compared the two and they read within 1 degree of each other

Does this mean that you do not have stratification differences greater than 1* or so ? I thought the goal with storage tanks was to have more stratification. Could it be because you aren't using storage for heating house purposes ? Just trying to get a feel for tank choices for the future.

Will

I compared the two at the same location on the top of the tank prior to installing the probe near the bottom. Stratification is ok on a horizontal propane tank, but could be much better with the tank standing on end i would think . The tank is currently being used to heat DHW only, but will be used for home heating come Oct.

Thanks
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.