Actually got paid to take a fruit wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
A neighbor's stepson needed a small pair tree taken down. I said ok since it wasn't going to hurt anything when it came down. So I took it down and picked up a weeks worth or so of wood for next year. The guy asks, "What do you want for it?" I say, just the pieces that I sectioned 18". He says, "No, I have to pay you something for coming over." So I ended up with a free tank of gas. The guy is the stepson of a friend of mine, I didn't want anything. (but the wood!)

I referred him to a tree guy I have gotten wood from for some trees in his back yard that were too close to the house... Maybe my scrounging for next year is almost done?

Matt

That pear would be a great bbq wood

Okay, was this a pair tree, a pear tree or a peach tree?

Backwoods Savage said:

fruit wood for sure

Karma . . . God's will . . . good things coming . . . whatever you want to call it . . . always nice to do someone a favor and have that favor come back and benefit you . . . and from the sounds of it you might have benefited in the short run (free gas, free wood now) and the long run (free wood later.)

Landscaper / arborist / lawn guy would have charged for thier time and disposal.
If he could have found someone who would have bothered with a fruit tree. Especially a dwarf one.
I'd rather pay you something for your time and effort than owe a favor.
You're more likely to come back again, too.

gonna bbq the partridge on that pear tree fire? ;)

I got about 1/3 face cord of pear wood from Heatit here. I traded him for some cherry. I do alot, and I mean lot of smoking/BBQ'ing all year around, and that pear is some of the best wood I have used on my home made Canadian Bacon and Boston Butts. That stuff can also be a pain to split.

It's pair. I'll set some to the side for the smoker. I burnt all the apple I had stored up from last year. Thanksgiving is coming up! Smoked turkey!

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
It's pair. I'll set some to the side for the smoker. I burnt all the apple I had stored up from last year. Thanksgiving is coming up! Smoked turkey!

Matt

Ohhh what a pair that would make (liking finger good) smoked turkey stuffed with pear ;-P

Spell check didn't catch it! :)

I'll have to complain to SWMBO, it's her Mac. :lol:

Matt

Backwoods Savage said:

Maybe it was a pair of pears? ;-)

wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Maybe it was a pair of pears? ;-)
You need to pare down that pair to just one pear.

For BBQ I tried some peach and it was nice , I think I might try mixing in a little apple I have and I always like to throw a log or two in the fireplace when we have folks over.

Status
Not open for further replies.