Added firebrick today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I afternoon welding in clips for more firebrick. I now have 10 more firebricks than the stove came with. 3 sides are lined as high as I could effectively get with what I had on hand.

My next project is adding secondary air tubes. I might have to wait until spring for that one since I will be doing a lot more cutting and welding than I did today.

They help insulate the firebox to keep the fire hotter with less air, pretty much.
If you think about it, why would you want to add insulation to your stove? It will further restrict the heat from the fire from getting into the room.

Additionally, if the stove is UL listed, your modification will void the listing. If you had a house fire and it was determined the stove was the source, your insurance company may deny the claim.

Reactions: bholler
The stove is a kitchen queen 480.

Insulating the firebox keeps the fire hotter. The flue gasses still have to pass the oven, cook top, and chimney pipe, which is about 10 ft of metal. The flue gasses have plenty of surface area to radiate heat after they leave the firebox.

As far as voiding the ul listing, I am not worried about that at all.