Adding a 45 Elbow to Double Walled Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
After looking at a lot of stoves, I really like the 2020 Endeavor. However, after thinking about moving a door (I still might) I've found the stove looks and feels best a little but more centered in our middle room, away from the doorway.

This would require a 45 degree elbow to make it work. Is there any safety or draft issues with this? I realized visually it might big people, but is it acceptable?

Adding a 45 Elbow to Double Walled Stove Pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
To make that happen you would need 3-45deg elbows.
I think the consensus will be that 45s are better than 90s, and also anytime you add a change in direction, draft is reduced. The next questions would be, what is the flue situation regarding draft - how tall, any additional transitions up stream, class A the entire way etc.

Attachments

• Adding a 45 Elbow to Double Walled Stove Pipe
    1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I think the best thing for me to do is wait this season and just build out a non-combustible wall with steel framing and backing board. Most likely tile over it when done. This would buy me 5" and I could put the Endeavor about 4.5" from the wall as I originally planned (pre-2020 Endeavor is 4.25" clearance).

My only remaining question is how do electrical outlets play into the combustible question? Currently, my outlet sits right behind the stove. Would that need to move if I planned on reducing the clearance to 4.5–5" — when the 2020 Endeavor calls for 9" from combustibles?

I think the best thing for me to do is wait this season and just build out a non-combustible wall with steel framing and backing board. Most likely tile over it when done. This would buy me 5" and I could put the Endeavor about 4.5" from the wall as I originally planned (pre-2020 Endeavor is 4.25" clearance).

My only remaining question is how do electrical outlets play into the combustible question? Currently, my outlet sits right behind the stove. Would that need to move if I planned on reducing the clearance to 4.5–5" — when the 2020 Endeavor calls for 9" from combustibles?
There is also a return nearby (or supply air, can't tell). There is a distance requirement there also.

There is also a return nearby (or supply air, can't tell). There is a distance requirement there also.

It's a return duct. Is that distance requirement different from the floor protection? Sidewall distance? I don't see anything in the manual specific to a return duct. I planned on running the furnace fan while the stove is going to help spread the heat around the house.

I planned on running the furnace fan while the stove is going to help spread the heat around the house.
I think it's 10ft to any cold air returns (there are guys better versed on all that here). As far as using the furnace blower to distribute air - there are mixed results here with that, mostly negative. The furnace blower draws amps, costs money to run, can be noisy, and with a low return like that it would distribute mostly cool air from off the floor. To heat rooms requires a substantial temp rise to make it efficient, something you wouldn't have by just circulating return and supply air around. In some situations it makes a little bit of difference, but most of the time no.

Back to the angled stove pipe idea. I found out today that since the clearance is already below 12" the 9" clearance on the 2020 Endeavor is the same regardless of combustible or non-combustible.

To answer your question the chimney is a 16.5" block with a ~7" clay lined flue. It was added to the house in the 60s or 70s but is still in good condition. Recently had it inspected.

Height from the top of the stove would be around 20' (5+10+5) The cleanout is in the basement.

House is pretty drafty. It's a 1920 farmhouse with an addition out on in the early 70s. And some pretty serious renovation in the early 2000's. Nothing is air sealed, pretty much blown in insulation everywhere. The house is wrapped though.

I would probably add an outside air kit in the near future. Most likely over the summer.

My other question is why can't the wall thimble have a 90 rotated to the 45 coming off the stove pipe section. Why two 45s coming off the wall?
You can. That’s what you typically see.
45’s will “buy” a little extra draft. The Endeavor won’t have any trouble using a 90.

Also, local shop never heard of the 10' clearance to a return duct. Called the county mechanical inspector, but he only returns calls Wednesday mornings. Haha.

I recently offset my stove to move it closer to a new family room area of our basement. I didn't like the offset in my mind, but now, having done it, I'm glad we did. The fire is much more enjoyable from the couches now. No difference in draft that I can tell. The Dr Seuss configuration has even grown on me a bit.

Jason

frola.jpg

The maximum horizontal run should not exceed 3 ft. (92 cm) with a 1/4” rise per foot. Under no circumstance should horizontal pipe be allowed to slant down toward the chimney.

So now I'm leaning towards a Jotul F 55. I'm thinking that two 90 degree elbows might look better (and reduce the risk of me hitting my head on it). However, I'm not following how a 1/4" rise per foot would be possible? To me, two 90 degree elbows would be flat with no rise. Do they have some flex in them or something? How is that rise accomplished?

I have about 24"–30" inches to move over horizontally.

Also, I read the F 55 might have too much draft so maybe the two 90s won't be an issue?