Adding a Pellet Stove to the Cellar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay very close attention to what mepellet is saying it can save your house.

Somewhere on this site is a report with pictures of what was happening below an ember protection only hearth pad with a particular Harman model that was operated on that pad.

Agree, but cement board and porcalein tiles are fire proof. The cement board alone has a 2 hour fire rating!

Pay attention you must have the proper thermal protection between the stove and anything that is combustible.

A stove requiring a certain R or K value for its hearth must attain that value prior to any combustible material and Don that includes your plywood substrate.

what first got me thinking about this was that in your shed photo, it appears that you might not even have ember protection in the front of the stove. But you mentioned that it wasn't connected yet so maybe that moved it back enough on the hearth for the ember protection.

but if they don't meet the required R value (if any is required on your models), then you have combustible plywood underneath.

Agree!
Harman P61-2 manual does not have a min R value for floor pad?

See red arrow on page 2 below, click to enlarge

Attachments

• HarmanP61-2manualP2.jpg
    HarmanP61-2manualP2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 147
Assuming that that that manual is correct and reflects the actual stove you have your pad is fine.

IIRC the party with the issue I was talking about's manual also said ember protection but it wasn't correct.

Funny things happen when copy and paste can take place.

ETA: For everyone's information this is the thread discussing a certain Harman stove and the hearth pad requirements https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearth-pad-worries-with-my-p61a.72618/ . For the newcomers to the forum one of the major issues that shows up on here is that of an improper installation. An error in this area can cause loss of life and/or home. Most folks on here don't want bad things to happen so we tend to jump on what may appear to be "minor" technicalities.

Reactions: Lowarea
Assuming that that that manual is correct and reflects the actual stove you have your pad is fine.

IIRC the party with the issue I was talking about's manual also said ember protection but it wasn't correct.

Funny things happen when copy and paste can take place.

Agree

Also some of those very thin hearth matts (They are flexible!) made by Imperial and sold at some of the Big box stores and at some dealers, may NOT be adequate for stoves that radiate heat. I usually sell the ceramic tile in the steel pan this is adequate.

I just got a price of 750 ( but that included the venting )

That sounds about what they want to do the install, I already paid for the venting which was $350. and they want another $450. for the install. I wonder if that includes the permit and inspection? I'll be picking up the stove Saturday so I'll ask questions then. I have to move 3 cords of wood from my driveway tomorrow! :eek:

Does that include an OAK ?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about this Kozi Shop Heater, I already paid for the stove but haven't picked it up yet. I might want to up my budget a little and get something else, I'm not finding ANY positive reviews about this stove. I should have researched the stove before I plunked down the money, it seemed like a good deal and perfect for the basement......

I'm leaning towards a refurb ! On sale now for 999.00 !

Don, Might want to double check that all three of those serial nu,beds are covered under that one version of the install manual.

55-TRPAH - EPA Certified Pellet Stove - 2000 sq.ft.
Will work with a thermostat ( on and off )
From AM FM energy and it includes delivery .
I can't take all the credit Dexter help guide me . It looks to be the biggest bang for my buck !

55-TRPAH - EPA Certified Pellet Stove - 2000 sq.ft.
Will work with a thermostat ( on and off )
From AM FM energy and it includes delivery .
I can't take all the credit Dexter help guide me . It looks to be the biggest bang for my buck !
Nice choice, I've been looking around that site as well. I just hope they return my money without a hassle. I don't see anything on my receipt about a return policy, I haven't actually taken it from the store yet so.......:)

It gets great reveiws ! Plus I wanted not to have buyers remorse ! Having my quad has been a cake walk . Diidn't want a headache . But I also didn't want to spend Quad money .
Also as a bonus with my install my stove will be in the correct spot ( should the Quad go down ) to heat my home enough so we won't freeze .
Planning to order it on Monday after my installer does a site check to be sure all will work as planned .

I got my money back on the stove, so back to researching.......... I just didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about that stove.

Picked up a Harman P68 a couple of months ago, have yet to install it. It was either $400 or $450 the dealer wanted for the install. He didn't push it at all and said if I was handy it is pretty easy. Should get er done soon as cooler weather is not far off. :)

Reactions: dylskee
I'm looking for something in the $2000. range, if I can get something decent in the price point then I probably have it installed. I'm not sure why, but every manual I look at always says "If a basement install have it done professionally." I would think the opposite, the basement you don't have to worry about it looking ugly. As long as it's effective and to code, but on your main living space you not only have to be more careful but it has to look good too. Why is a basement install more difficult?

I'm looking for something in the $2000. range, if I can get something decent in the price point then I probably have it installed. I'm not sure why, but every manual I look at always says "If a basement install have it done professionally." I would think the opposite, the basement you don't have to worry about it looking ugly. As long as it's effective and to code, but on your main living space you not only have to be more careful but it has to look good too. Why is a basement install more difficult?

Frequently installing in a basement requires going through concrete, bricks, or other hard to get through materials.

Then we have the well known chimney effect that gets worse as you place a stove in lower levels. This can require that an OAK be used in order for the stove to have a proper air flow for combustion.

Then the ability of massive amounts of concrete or other foundation material to act as a heat sucker.

Then you have the issue of getting heat circulated to the upper floors. Sometimes what one might do to accomplish this is not allowed by code.

A search on here about basement stoves or moving the hot air around can be enlightening.

For $2000.00, you can get the stove from AM FM Energy, pay someone to install and buy a ton or two of pellets. Thats bang fer yer buck!

For $2000.00, you can get the stove from AM FM Energy, pay someone to install and buy a ton or two of pellets. Thats bang fer yer buck!
This is what I'm thinking will be my best bet ! I have the installer coming on Monday to see if what I'm thinking will work .im not looking to heat my house with it just the basement . Plus I figure if I ever have an issue with the cb1200 the basement stove will help in the short term ( will be placed near the basement stairs . With the oak I don't think it will affect the burn of the other stove .

Wait, I'm confused now. Is Timber Ridge and Englander the same company? I'm clicking on reviews for the Timber Ridge and it brings me to an Englander page?

Status
Not open for further replies.