Advice for co-worker on old insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrodsky

Jan 19, 2006
Millbrook, NY
Photos below are his current insert - he knows nothing about it, but is interested in either using it, or maybe upgrading. Fairly old unit.

I don't know a whole lot about fireplace construction and whether a newer EPA would be a drop in to this or not... as well as things such as whether chimney liner is likely to be required, etc...

He's also curious as to typical costs in a case like this. Since he'd have to buy wood, I told him that a much newer unit is almost certainly something he needs to think about.

At minimum, I assume a chimney cleaning is in order before trying to use it.

-Colin

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 874
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 666
  • hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 570
Certainly doesn't have enough hearth protection in the front. There should be a wide range of inserts which will fit that fireplace, depending on the area he is trying to heat. It all depends on the chimney condition and construction type, but a full liner will almost certainly be needed and it will probably have to be insulated as well. He'd get the best performance out of his new insert that way. Of course he could always buy one of the hearth mount wood stoves with the short legs and rear flue exit and extend the hearth in the front. The hearthstone homestead comes to mind, as does the VC dutchwest series and others.

There have been a couple discussions about the "Black Bart" recently, non of which were good.

For occasional heat I think it just depends on the condition of the stove. Which looks damned good. My neighbor down the hill has been heating his house with a Black Bart 3200 just like it for 27 years. And will be again this year. After the chimney fire in 1988, I was sitting in his family room when it lit off WOW, I gave him a chimney brush for Christmas and they have never had a problem.

That sucker throws off a bunch of heat.

Edit: Given the size of that stove there are a lot of inserts that will fit that fireplace. Pretty much any of them. And if he needs parts they are available at:

http://servicesales.com/woodburning/stove_parts/black_bart/black_bart.html

Status
Not open for further replies.