Advice needed on Quadra-Fire 1200 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter55

Sep 24, 2018
New York
Hi All,

I'm new to pellet stoves (all solid fuel burning stoves actually), and recently bought a used Quadra-Fire 1200 from the local Quadra-Fire dealer. The stove is from 1997 (hence the reason I've not called it a classic bay 1200, even though it is basically the same stove). The dealer sold it to me as an off the books purchase, it was a personal stove he had in his house. He told me it's an old stove that he fixed up, but that it currently works. Yesterday, as the temperature had dropped, I plugged in the stove to try it out, and lo and behold it does not work. Now, from what I can tell, with these stoves, when you plug them in, the exhaust blower is supposed to activate for 8-10minutes. This does not happen, instead there is a humming noise that I traced back to the blower after removing each of the panels. Now, I'm planning on going back to the guy tomorrow to tell him that the stove does not work and give him a chance to rectify the situation. Here's the thing. I paid $500 for the stove. I can't guarantee that he will do anything to make this situation right, but if he is willing to work with me, the only two options I can see are to repair the unit or just refund my money. Looking at this from his perspective, he may decide that it's not worth it to fix the stove, and may instead opt to refund my money.

TLDR: Bought a stove for $500, stove does not work.

My question is, would it be worth it for me to hang onto the stove in it's current broken state and try to fix it? I do need a pellet stove to supplement the electric heating in my house, so I'm going to be getting a pellet stove some how some way. Besides the exhaust motor, what else could possibly go wrong with this unit (basically, if I had to rebuild the unit, would it be worth it to keep at a $500 purchase price?)

Finally, if I do end up returning the stove, what stove could I purchase brand new that could satisfy my needs and would not break the bank. For reference, things that are important to me are large hoppers, thermostat operation, ease of cleaning/ash pan needed, and of course the ability to easily find parts, as I am unlikely to call in a repairman if something goes wrong.

Quads usually have a plastic motor fan that can be spun by hand.

Have you tried spinning the exhaust fan with it off to make sure it's not jammed?

Sometimes they need a nudge when powered up to get them going, usually a sign of bad bearings.

Quads usually have a plastic motor fan that can be spun by hand.

Have you tried spinning the exhaust fan with it off to make sure it's not jammed?

Sometimes they need a nudge when powered up to get them going, usually a sign of bad bearings.

I didn't when I looked at it, since the power was plugged in, but I just tried spinning it and it was stuck at first, but then I got it to spin, albeit with a crusty sound. I plugged in the stove and now it seems to be blowing. I was able to start a fire after about 8 or so minutes (had to press reset 3 times). There doesn't appear to be any heat coming out of the stove though. Does that take time? I have the fan set to high for what it's worth.

Okay so update, the fan eventually kicked on, the flame died down quite a bit, I think it may be working after all, the spinning of the fan seems to have done the trick. Are there any other tips and tricks I should know about to keeping this stove running? The feed rate, do I ever have to set that? Or is it set automatically once I loosen the wingnut in the hopper?

Good deal but be prepared to replace exhaust blower relatively soon if bearings are that rough.

Yes feed gate needs to be set. Typically on high you want no more than 4 or 5 inch flame coming out of fire pot. Reference your manual for a more precise measurement it takes a good 15 minutes for flame to stabilize for each adjustment and even then it goes up and down a bit.