Advice on a new installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Hello All,
I am looking, in the next year or so, to put a wood stove into my great room. A little background, I live in Southern Maine, my home is fairly well insulated, lots of glass mostly south facing but the forest across the street leaves too much shade, I have a 36X24 gambrel with a 24x32 greatroom addition between the house and the 24x24 garage, 2 bedrooms, office and full bath above the garage. The greatroom has 12' peaked ceiling with 2 reversible fans. the greatroom is basically the computer area, kids playroom and tv room in the winter. I have a 5 zone oil fired hot water heating system and programmable thermostats. I have a 2003 VC Resolute Acclaim that i heat the main house with. What I would need from a stove in this room is the ability to heat a rather large space, and heat it up quickly as I probably would not keep a fire going all day as we are not home from 7-4. The kids play in here till about 8 and then we shut the room down and head to the "wood stove room" in the gambrel part of the house. The oil heat rarely if ever turns on in the main house, and I have the zone above the garage on just enough to keep pipes from freezing ( this space is used for the in-laws in the summer). So most of my oil bill is to keep that greatroom warm. I would just as soon get rid of the oil man as much as possible. As the kids get older I see the greatroom becoming more of a "Man Country" type place and it will get more use than currently. I like VC but am leery about what I have been reading about the new "Neverburns". I have a friend who has a Lopi Liberty. It seems to get warm very fast and radiate lots of heat. What kinds of things should I be thinking about for my set-up? Hearth? Masonry for thermal Mass? Chimney? Thank you for your time.

Sounds like a steel stove would be a good choice if all you want to do is heat it up for a few hours. There are several stoves that would fill the bill. Lopi, Quadrafire, Avalon, Pacific Energy, Country, Regency are good names. Visit some local dealers, pick your fave, and read the manual's installation guide. It will tell you what to think about. But until the actual stove is picked out we can't tell you too much about clearances or hearth needs. Chimney advice- take it straight up, keep it in the interior of the house until it penetrates the roof.

Do your research and pick the right stove. It could be heating the room during the 9hr period (7-4) while you are gone. Are you fearful of letting the stove burn while you are gone or another reason?

Have a visit in Southern NH - my Englander 13 does a great (and I mean great) job in our 2800 ft2 colonial. Setting nice right now at 75, and it's 18 outside ...

RonB said:
Do your research and pick the right stove. It could be heating the room during the 9hr period (7-4) while you are gone. Are you fearful of letting the stove burn while you are gone or another reason?

I don't have a fear of leaving the stove running during the da, I guess I just got used to the idea to not heat while I am not home as I won't be there to use it or enjoy it. Would it use a bunch more wood to run it 24/7 vs only at night?

michaelthomas said:
I don't have a fear of leaving the stove running during the da, I guess I just got used to the idea to not heat while I am not home as I won't be there to use it or enjoy it. Would it use a bunch more wood to run it 24/7 vs only at night?

Yes, it would use more wood but not necessarily a "bunch". I could maintain the heat level in my house for that 9hr period with a max of 6-7 med/lg splits. That's all. I heat 2500sf in Michigan. If you plan to fire up the stove 2x a day (1x after work & house is "cold" and 1x before bed) you are already past 2/3 of the way to heating 24/7.

i use a quadrafire 2100 youll need around a 3100 or 4100 to heat your house . my stove starts in oct and gets shut down in april or may. and i burn about 3 full cord or 9 face cords a year heating 1700 or so square feet my house is a ranch and i live in western ny so our temp tend to be cold in the winter. my stove is my primary heat untill the house is totaly remodled or till i get rich from the lotto i love my quad it never missbehaves and is pretty hard to overfire.i have seen over fire temps of 1200 from using little split wood.well good luck hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.