Advice on a replacement stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PAGary

Jan 19, 2023
Central PA
So I bought a 1903 farmhouse 7yrs ago and gutted it completely, all new windows and insulation. Just finishing up the last phase of the addition where our current Kodiak wood stove is located (2 story 1600sq ft plus 300sq ft addition. The old stove does a good job heating the entire house but we wanted glass doors for a nice new of the fire as we sit by it a lot. So after doing some searching our eyes were opened to a whole new world of wood stoves!!! We struggle to keep our current stove burning when we are gone all day & overnight. We burn it from Oct till April as our main source of heat (with oil back-up). I'm open to any brand been looking at the BK Ashford 30, Hearthstone Manchester, VC Defiant and Iron Strike 300. Please help me decide CAT or Non-CAT brand and size!!!

IMG_6463D.JPG IMG_6461D.JPG

Ashford 30 is a great choice. Read the manual and measure to see if you have enough vertical rise off the stove.

One thing to think about is adding a mini split and choosing a cheaper secondary tube stove. Run the mini spit any time it’s 45 or warmer out and let the stove run when it’s colder. Added bonus is AC in the summer. Check out the Drolet stoves. They are an excellent value. Consider a heatpump hot water heater if you have a good install location. I have wine in my bad and basically heat my water with wood. (Not really but the wood heat gets pump into the water).

Get a blower door test done. Plug the leaks and then think about an outside air kit for the new stove. It may or may not be a good idea.

You’ve done a lot of work so don’t “cheap” out on the last steps.

Reactions: PAGary and Jaison
Ashford 30 is a great choice. Read the manual and measure to see if you have enough vertical rise off the stove.

One thing to think about is adding a mini split and choosing a cheaper secondary tube stove. Run the mini spit any time it’s 45 or warmer out and let the stove run when it’s colder. Added bonus is AC in the summer. Check out the Drolet stoves. They are an excellent value. Consider a heatpump hot water heater if you have a good install location. I have wine in my bad and basically heat my water with wood. (Not really but the wood heat gets pump into the water).

Get a blower door test done. Plug the leaks and then think about an outside air kit for the new stove. It may or may not be a good idea.

You’ve done a lot of work so don’t “cheap” out on the last steps.
Yes the minimum is 24" I'm @ 29" close and my outside chimney is 20'. Also been looking into the mini splits for the shoulder seasons. I'm just unfamiliar with the new CAT stoves and don't want to do this twice! The BK Ashford 30 and Hearthstone Manchester are at the top of my list... really like the idea of a side load feature of the Manchester.

Yes the minimum is 24" I'm @ 29" close and my outside chimney is 20'. Also been looking into the mini splits for the shoulder seasons. I'm just unfamiliar with the new CAT stoves and don't want to do this twice! The BK Ashford 30 and Hearthstone Manchester are at the top of my list... really like the idea of a side load feature of the Manchester.
I would choose BK over hearthstone. Cut everything to load north south. But I don’t see the absolute need for a cat if you have the mini split. A 3 cu ft stove will do 8 hour burns in cold and and 12 in mild weather. But, The room the stove is in and moving the heat around may be an issue. The BK would make sure it’s never too hot. That’s a plus.

Reactions: PAGary
I would choose BK over hearthstone. Cut everything to load north south. But I don’t see the absolute need for a cat if you have the mini split. A 3 cu ft stove will do 8 hour burns in cold and and 12 in mild weather. But, The room the stove is in and moving the heat around may be an issue. The BK would make sure it’s never too hot. That’s a plus.
So if I chose to go without a CAT stove what would you recommend?

So if I chose to go without a CAT stove what would you recommend?
What’s your budget? Pacific Energy makes a great stove. T5 or the bigger T6. Drolet has a good reputation stoves come in lots of sizes on the value end. Regency, Lopi, jotul F45 or bigger F55 (skip the f500).

The stove is in the 300 sq ft addition correct? And had that single doorway to the rest of the house? How does the current stove move heat? My only concern is that the non cats burn cycles may make that room much hotter than you like but you’re likely used to it with that big old beast.

What kind of chimney do you have and what’s its size?

Most 3 cu ft stoves will provide a 10-12 hr burn in milder weather. Some cat stoves can go twice as long, albeit at a much lower heat output. When pushed for heat, all stoves will have shorter burn times.
EbS's suggestions are good. Of those listed, consider the Ashford 30 in the cat corral. In non-cat, look at the Jotul F55, Lopi Endeavor, and the PE Alderlea T6 if heat circulation is good or go down a size if it is so so.

How often does the oil-backup come on during the coldest part of the winter since the sheetrock and trim are back up?

I'd like to understand how heat circulates in the house, especially if this will change once construction is completed. Is the 3' doorway (with the GD) from the stove room the only way heat enters the rest of the house? Can you post a floorplan sketch?

What’s your budget? Pacific Energy makes a great stove. T5 or the bigger T6. Drolet has a good reputation stoves come in lots of sizes on the value end. Regency, Lopi, jotul F45 or bigger F55 (skip the f500).

The stove is in the 300 sq ft addition correct? And had that single doorway to the rest of the house? How does the current stove move heat? My only concern is that the non cats burn cycles may make that room much hotter than you like but you’re likely used to it with that big old beast.

What kind of chimney do you have and what’s its size?
20' brick terra-cotta pipe lined chimmny and was figuring in the 4k range... willing go higher but only want to do this once! I have a 6' doorway (300sq ft addition) that I use a fan to push the heat, but its defiantly holding more heat in the addition with it now being insulated and the spray foam ceiling.

How often does the oil-backup come on during the coldest part of the winter since the sheetrock and trim are back up?

I'd like to understand how heat circulates in the house, especially if this will change once construction is completed. Is the 3' doorway (with the GD) from the stove room the only way heat enters the rest of the house? Can you post a floorplan sketch?
Doorway is in the middle of the house its 6' wide 8' tall with 9' ceilings throughout the 1st floor. The first floor is a completely open floor plan with the open stairs to the second floor on the opposite side of the house. The upstairs stays colder but its perfect for sleeping and the bathroom floor has in floor heat. The oil is set at 60 and never comes on... at night it will drop down to 64ish but a raking of the hot coals add wood and its back up in the 70's in 20 minutes. Same after work house is chilly till I fire it back up. I'd like a more constant heat for over night/away at work. I'll try and draw a floor plan sketch.

20' brick terra-cotta pipe lined chimmny and was figuring in the 4k range... willing go higher but only want to do this once! I have a 6' doorway (300sq ft addition) that I use a fan to push the heat, but its defiantly holding more heat in the addition with it now being insulated and the spray foam ceiling.
Most would advise against venting a BK into an exterior clay lined chimney. Advice would be to line with 6 inch stainless and insulation would be recommended and possibly required if the chimney doesn’t have the required clearance. Adds 4-500$ to install cost.

Same advice would be given for a non cat but your results might be better given the higher exhaust temps on a non cat stove.

This all depends on the current size of the clay flue. 8x8 is nearly impossible to get an insulated 6” liner down without breaking out the clay.

• Wow
Most would advise against venting a BK into an exterior clay lined chimney. Advice would be to line with 6 inch stainless and insulation would be recommended and possibly required if the chimney doesn’t have the required clearance. Adds 4-500$ to install cost.

Same advice would be given for a non cat but your results might be better given the higher exhaust temps on a non cat stove.

This all depends on the current size of the clay flue. 8x8 is nearly impossible to get an insulated 6” liner down without breaking out the clay.

023C1B0B-24CD-4C63-B6BC-F8EAD58135BC.jpeg image.jpg

Is the plan to move the stove into the main open area and vent via the chimney at the barrel's location? Or is the chimney currently servicing the oil burner?

FWIW, we are running an Alderlea T6 in a 2000 sq ft old farmhouse but in a milder climate. A key difference is our house has a silly amount of windows. In 35º or warmer weather we get 12-14 hr burn times. Below that, I switch to 8hr reload cycles. Our burn time is relative to the heat loss of the house. This is about what can be expected from a large EPA non-cat. The Ashford 30 has a lower top end, but it's thermostatically regulated for very steady heat output. In mild weather 24 hrs between reloads is possible. That may go down to 12 or even 8 hrs when pushed.

The old Kodiak is not as fussy with fuel or draft. Modern stoves need 2 things, fully seasoned wood and decent draft strength. The chimney setup has some caveats for a modern stove - exterior exposure, no insulation, and it's on a one-story building addition. A cat stove runs lower flue temps and thus is fussier about these requirements.

FWIW, we are running an Alderlea T6 in a 2000 sq ft old farmhouse but in a milder climate. A key difference is our house has a silly amount of windows. In 35º or warmer weather we get 12-14 hr burn times. Below that, I switch to 8hr reload cycles. Our burn time is relative to the heat loss of the house. This is about what can be expected from a large EPA non-cat. The Ashford 30 has a lower top end, but it's thermostatically regulated for very steady heat output. In mild weather 24 hrs between reloads is possible. That may go down to 12 or even 8 hrs when pushed.

The old Kodiak is not as fussy with fuel or draft. Modern stoves need 2 things, fully seasoned wood and decent draft strength. The chimney setup has some caveats for a modern stove - exterior exposure, no insulation, and it's on a one-story building addition. A cat stove runs lower flue temps and thus is fussier about these requirements.
Well this is a bit disappointing news... In the past 7yrs we haven't used a full tank of oil (in all of those yrs combined). I'll admit some days the house has been chilly and others the windows open but nothing unbearable. I was hoping to get a more consistent temperature and a glass door lol. But now I'm more confused that when I started. Can I put a CAT wood stove in with my current chimney? Should I not consider one? Guess I have a lot more to figure out!

Called a local chimney sweep Company and was told it would be around 9k to remove the terra-cotta liner and put in a stainless insulated liner!!! Rethinking this whole idea now…

Reactions: BillBurns
Called a local chimney sweep Company and was told it would be around 9k to remove the terra-cotta liner and put in a stainless insulated liner!!! Rethinking this whole idea now…
Oval is an option flexible stainless is an option to explore. It’s a straight shot so that helps. How often do you sweep it now??

Oval is an option flexible stainless is an option to explore. It’s a straight shot so that helps. How often do you sweep it now??
I know it sounds crazy but I check it a few times a season and haven’t had to clean it in the past 5-6 yrs!!!

9k is a rediculous price for just a liner. That's usually about where we are for stove and liner. Get a price elsewhere.

9k is a rediculous price for just a liner. That's usually about where we are for stove and liner. Get a price elsewhere.
If I go this route I’ll probably do it myself it can’t be nearly that expensive for materials!!! But rethinking a CAT stove and something that may work with my current setup.

What are the inside dimensions of the current clay liner? My apology if you have already stated this.