advice on checking insert delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kitand

Nov 6, 2016
Seattle
My fireplace insert is scheduled to be delivered today by truck, curbside delivery.
It's a typical insert with glass door and firebricks.
Any advice on checking its condition before signing off on its delivery?

Pop the crate and check it out! Document any damage on the bill of lading. If there is damage, either refuse the delivery or ask the driver from an OSD number from his dispatcher, and ask the driver to sign your copy before you sign his.

I know it seems fussy, but if it's damaged and you don't refuse the delivery, you will go to your vendor and say 'x is damaged, send me a new one'... They will call the shipper and say 'you broke x', and they will say, 'No we didn't and we can prove it, no damage documented on the bill of lading.' The vendor then has the choice of buying a new part out of pocket and paying to ship it to you, or telling you that it's between you and the delivery company.

I would look for obviously broken/dented stuff. Does it look like the crate got dropped at some point?

Look around the bottom for forklift dents and punctures. If you can, look underneath (easy if the driver takes it off with a moffet) for forklift dents and holes in the bottom.

Thanks much, Jetsam. Your advice made me feel more comfortable. Just received the insert. Box lookied undamaged at all angles. Trucker let me open the box and inspect it. It was pretty visible without popping the crate. No apparent problems. Looks like I have an insert. Now, onto installation...sometime before next winter!

Thanks much, Jetsam. Your advice made me feel more comfortable. Just received the insert. Box lookied undamaged at all angles. Trucker let me open the box and inspect it. It was pretty visible without popping the crate. No apparent problems. Looks like I have an insert. Now, onto installation...sometime before next winter!

While you have it outside... Some folks like to burn their break-in loads outdoors. Curing stove paint is stinky.

Reactions: kitand
Well....what did you get? :)

Firebricks are sometimes cracked, I believe all Insert MFG will send out replacements without a fuss, the manual will give you part numbers for them.