Advice on cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnpolk

Sep 15, 2012
Hello, I lurk here a lot and enjoy the banter. I'm wondering what other people do when they sweep their chimney. I have an isle royale with a top flue. I've been brushing the chimney from above and letting the junk fall into the stove. Is this typical? Can that junk cause any problems? Reading other people's posts it sounded like there were places you don't want that stuff to fall into. Or is that different stove designs? Thanks

Different stove and insert designs warrant different techniques. Some stoves have an easily removed baffle and others can be a bit of a hassle. And some, swing away.

I do from the top down....give it a good scrub while turning the rods and brush right to make sure they don't unscrew. A lot here rave about "the Soot Eater", but I found out too late, and the Wife won't let me get one until I wear out the brush I have<>

Status
Not open for further replies.