Advice on insert vs stove to replace Superior zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They aren't so easy to pull out. Often they are built in with the facia needing to be removed.
They actually are really easy. I don't do many and can still have them out in about an hour.

The problem is even with an insert in them you still have a crappy drafty zero clearance box and you can cover the vents.

Reactions: PAbeech
This can be done, It depends on how the old one was installed, facia covering, access to the rear, hearth, etc. If the goal is to keep as much intact as possible, then easy rear access and a lot of careful measuring is where to start.

Problem is if you take one out you can what do you do then? Can you get a different ZC in with the existing structure/dimensions?
I solved the problem. Installing a Lopi Insert.

Problem is if you take one out you can what do you do then? Can you get a different ZC in with the existing structure/dimensions?
I solved the problem. Installing a Lopi Insert.
I put a pacific energy high efficiency zc unit in

Reactions: hoot
There have been a few that came here for advice and made the switch. If the enclosure size, basic framing, and opening size is similar then it's possible though easier with rear access.

Last edited:
That will be different than what @triceps is considering if a freestanding stove is to be vented via a liner thru the ZC. The main factor with what he has proposed is the lintel height.