Advice on Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sandstone

Dec 4, 2020
NY
Greetings! Newbie here looking for some guidance. I have the fireplace shown in a 60's one-story home with a cathedral ceiling. The firebox opening is roughly 60" x 16" x 29". I don't have the depth handy but the depth is greater than it's height. As you can see from the pics, the fp has seen only moderate use (that will change) and the bricks are in great shape but there is some missing mortar where the flue meets the smoke chamber and between some of the bricks. With a fire burning we can smell smoke in the kitchen behind the fp!

The fp shop is quoting $3800 to remove the damper, parge the smoke chamber and install a lymance and not even replace the top tiles (which have looked like that for the 26 years we have owned the house) so I was thinking for that kind of $$ I could install an insert and SS liner or I can do the repairs myself although I'm not really interested in cutting out the damper or mortaring that flue/brick joint. I'm not so concerned with generating heat as I am with enjoying a wood fire and roasting some marshmallows. I like the clean and full view look of the Regency CI2700 but don't need the catalyst etc. With the fp being the focal point of our soon to be remodeled house, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

3-Living Room Fireplace.JPG image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image4.jpeg image6.jpeg

I love the look of mid century homes, the CI2700 would look great in there it would compliment there. You would have to enclose the right side of the fireplace on the corner. Not sure of your budget or your handyman skills but a Supreme Duet dual sided fireplace would look awesome in there. That would require removal of the wall and chimney. The duet is probably not near the heater the CI2700 is but would definitely be aesthetically pleasing and compliment the architecture.

I love the look of mid century homes, the CI2700 would look great in there it would compliment there. You would have to enclose the right side of the fireplace on the corner. Not sure of your budget or your handyman skills but a Supreme Duet dual sided fireplace would look awesome in there. That would require removal of the wall and chimney. The duet is probably not near the heater the CI2700 is but would definitely be aesthetically pleasing and compliment the architecture.

When we are done with the rehab the fp will basically be the only thing in the LR/DR kitchen area so we considered a double sided fp but we decided to put a big island behind the fp.

Do you have electric base board heat? If so you might want something like the regency osburn makes a contemporary unit that is more competitively priced check out Lopi as well they have a large flush unit with a large window and they make great products. If you go insert definitely insulate the liner. I cut 2 dampers out at my house took 15 minutes a piece or less. I used a sawsall with a metal blade. If you put in an insulated liner I don't know if it would be necessary to fix the brick joint. Maybe Bholler will chime in on that he is very knowable on chimneys and code compliance.

I just had a Lopi Large Flush installed last month (2020 model is non-cat). I'm really happy with it (very big view of the fire), but it would not look right in that fireplace without a lot of modifications. Mainly closing in the side, which in my opinion would diminish the character of that really cool fireplace.

I will add that if you're trying to beat $3,800 with an insert and SS liner, you will be hard pressed. And that assumes you're doing the install yourself. By the time you buy the insert, then the surround/faceplate (which most brands sell separately), then buy the liner and cap and pay sales tax (if applicable), you will likely be well north of $3,800.

By the way, I really like the fireplace! You could consider finding someone to build a custom set of doors (that actually seal), with an integrated grate and blower. Just a thought.

Do you have electric base board heat? If so you might want something like the regency osburn makes a contemporary unit that is more competitively priced check out Lopi as well they have a large flush unit with a large window and they make great products. If you go insert definitely insulate the liner. I cut 2 dampers out at my house took 15 minutes a piece or less. I used a sawsall with a metal blade. If you put in an insulated liner I don't know if it would be necessary to fix the brick joint. Maybe Bholler will chime in on that he is very knowable on chimneys and code compliance.

Actually I have electric baseboard and oil forced air. The electric is being pulled out to make way for new flooring. I’ve always kept it as a backup but have never needed it and it’s ugly. Were the dampers you cut the old Vestal cast iron ones?

For a contemporary flush look, the Osburn Matrix, Pacific Energy Neo 2.5, and Napoleon S-25i are worth comparing too.

I just had a Lopi Large Flush installed last month (2020 model is non-cat). I'm really happy with it (very big view of the fire), but it would not look right in that fireplace without a lot of modifications. Mainly closing in the side, which in my opinion would diminish the character of that really cool fireplace.

I will add that if you're trying to beat $3,800 with an insert and SS liner, you will be hard pressed. And that assumes you're doing the install yourself. By the time you buy the insert, then the surround/faceplate (which most brands sell separately), then buy the liner and cap and pay sales tax (if applicable), you will likely be well north of $3,800.

By the way, I really like the fireplace! You could consider finding someone to build a custom set of doors (that actually seal), with an integrated grate and blower. Just a thought.

I wasn’t really trying to beat $3800 but look into making better use of it while modernizing the aesthetics. I like the custom door option because I really don’t want to block off the corner. Do you have any additional info on an integrated grate and blower?

I like the custom door option because I really don’t want to block off the corner.
I think you would have a hard time keeping the glass clean unless possibly you could find doors with air wash system. If you did use an insert maybe your could make a recessed area in the corner tile or brick lined to store you fireplace tools.

Reactions: begreen
If you have 29” of height you could consider a hearth mounted free standing stove. It might look a little more intentional than an insert with the right stove. But if all you want is a cracking fire and that design drafts well repairing and keeping as an open fireplace might be the least expensive option. But if spending that a stove/insert that heats and looks nice can be had in that price point it’s a good option. I like that open side look but it does complicate things.
Evan

I wasn’t really trying to beat $3800 but look into making better use of it while modernizing the aesthetics. I like the custom door option because I really don’t want to block off the corner. Do you have any additional info on an integrated grate and blower?

Hey I'm sorry for the late reply. Have you ever heard of the Stoll Industries Heat Champion? I came across them at one of the fireplace shops when I was shopping for my insert.

The guy at the store said each order is customized to order. I really don't know much about them, but they look nice.

The guy at the store said each order is customized to order. I really don't know much about them, but they look nice.
They are heavy built and look nice but expensive. I talked to a local shop about them he questioned why I would want that and not an insert. He said the they were more for "weekend burners" not really a full time heater. He did recommend cleaning the chimney several times season depending on use. There are few guys here that have them and love it I think they burn on weekends after the fire is going I believe they add a log every hour.

They are heavy built and look nice but expensive. I talked to a local shop about them he questioned why I would want that and not an insert. He said the they were more for "weekend burners" not really a full time heater. He did recommend cleaning the chimney several times season depending on use. There are few guys here that have them and love it I think they burn on weekends after the fire is going I believe they add a log every hour.

Yes, that sounds right. The reason I suggested them here is because the OP is not necessarily looking for a full time heater. This would allow for a custom design to fit his space. Basically form over function, rather than function over form. Assuming the company can build one for an open sided fireplace like his. But like I said, I have no first hand experience with them. I just thought they looked nice at the hearth store.