Advice on recommended repairs for open hearth fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigdub

Dec 14, 2022
Kingston, NY
Hi all. We moved into a new house a few months ago (built in the 1930s) and I had someone come out for a chimney sweep so that we could start burning this winter.

He told me that we had stage 3 creosote in the smoke chamber (but no creosote in the flue), gaps in the tiles, and a broken damper, and recommended the following:
  • Prepare the flue for repair using Clean & Etch to promote adhesion. Apply two coats of Heat Shield Cerfractory Flue Sealant to the entire flue sealing the cracks, gaps and holes that exist. $5,540
  • At the same time as applying PCR to the flue, apply it to the smoke chamber as well using a Heat Shield sprayer to breakdown the buildup of stage 3 glazed creosote. $1,470
  • At the same time as the flue repair, apply Heat Shield Cerfractory Smoke Chamber Foam to the entire smoke chamber up to the flue filling any holes and gaps providing a smoother transition (parging). $1,379
  • Installation of a 13"x13" Lyemance Top Sealing Damper. $915
So that's basically $10k of work and he made it sound like the fireplace was a hazard and not to use it until this work was done.

I had someone else come over the next day (both of these companies appear to be reputable and have been around a while), and the second guy said the fireplace and chimney are fine and we just need a new damper and could start burning right away. So basically opposite ends of the spectrum (I'm thinking about getting a 3rd opinion!). I went ahead and did the damper replacement cause that obviously had to get done.

Pictures from the first inspection are attached --- can anyone tell me if it's really critical to do the PCR cleaning, Heat Shield Sealant, and Parging, and whether the prices they've quoted are reasonable? I'm leaning towards having someone do the PCR cleaning in the chamber (second inspector said that wasn't necessary). I'd love to start using this fireplace but I'm a little nervous about it! Thanks in advance.

ea6aa31b-5d32-4c23-a76e-c33f3a17e147_cdv_photo_001.jpga6f75da0-58c5-48c9-a8d4-0ed003c3f08a_cdv_photo_006.jpg228cb07d-4d16-4523-bf92-c56d589f9340_cdv_photo_005.jpg8fe51c89-2797-4faa-a83e-e4e46ea1377c_cdv_photo_002.jpg83a3e862-6632-4777-9c81-ba4623da4771_cdv_photo_010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thing you do needs to start with a good cleaning. After that you options. Have you considered a wood burning insert? What size are the flue tiles and how tall is the chimney? Interior or exterior?

Personally I wouldn’t spend 10k for an open fireplace. We had one. Did ok but spilled smoke and also set off the smoke detectors. I don’t miss it one bit. We have a stove in the big fireplace and an insert in the downstairs. Both connected to 6” insulated liners.

Hi all. We moved into a new house a few months ago (built in the 1930s) and I had someone come out for a chimney sweep so that we could start burning this winter.

He told me that we had stage 3 creosote in the smoke chamber (but no creosote in the flue), gaps in the tiles, and a broken damper, and recommended the following:
  • Prepare the flue for repair using Clean & Etch to promote adhesion. Apply two coats of Heat Shield Cerfractory Flue Sealant to the entire flue sealing the cracks, gaps and holes that exist. $5,540
  • At the same time as applying PCR to the flue, apply it to the smoke chamber as well using a Heat Shield sprayer to breakdown the buildup of stage 3 glazed creosote. $1,470
  • At the same time as the flue repair, apply Heat Shield Cerfractory Smoke Chamber Foam to the entire smoke chamber up to the flue filling any holes and gaps providing a smoother transition (parging). $1,379
  • Installation of a 13"x13" Lyemance Top Sealing Damper. $915
So that's basically $10k of work and he made it sound like the fireplace was a hazard and not to use it until this work was done.

I had someone else come over the next day (both of these companies appear to be reputable and have been around a while), and the second guy said the fireplace and chimney are fine and we just need a new damper and could start burning right away. So basically opposite ends of the spectrum (I'm thinking about getting a 3rd opinion!). I went ahead and did the damper replacement cause that obviously had to get done.

Pictures from the first inspection are attached --- can anyone tell me if it's really critical to do the PCR cleaning, Heat Shield Sealant, and Parging, and whether the prices they've quoted are reasonable? I'm leaning towards having someone do the PCR cleaning in the chamber (second inspector said that wasn't necessary). I'd love to start using this fireplace but I'm a little nervous about it! Thanks in advance.

View attachment 305207View attachment 305208View attachment 305209View attachment 305210View attachment 305211
Heat shield is a short lived solution. I have seen way to many fail completely. Yes it needs cleaned badly but I would try aggressive mechanical cleaning first. And yes those joints are pretty bad it should be lined and the chamber parged

I'm no professional, but for that price I would consider and insert with a insulated liner all the way up after its cleaned out. We moved into a house and had a few fires the first winter. It sucked and the house smelled like smoke. Especially after we put it out at bed time. I put an insert in the next year. Now we burn 24/7 and the wife really likes it so that's a plus.

Yes it's usually cheaper to go with an insert instead of fixing an open fireplace properly

I totally agree with the advice to consider an insert. We had an open fireplace, and it sucked. We always had some smoke coming back into the house, and it made the house colder, so we never used it. We finally installed a wood burning insert, and it has been like night and day. It burns great, vents great, warms the house. We use it every night in cold weather. Even if it's just for ambiance, it's well worth it.