Advice on which EPA Rated Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewblckwd

Jan 12, 2010
West GA
Hello to all,

I am seeking advice on which EPA rated fireplace to go with. Our home is 1200 sq. ft. and I would like to heat exclusively with wood. The models I like so far are the BIS fireplaces, Osburn Stratford, Quadrafire 7100 (maybe too big?), Magnum ZC, Kozy Heat Z42, Heat&Glow; Northstar, Acucraft Z-Max.
I definately know that I don't want the cat converter, and do want the lowest possible build cost. If anyone has anything to share on these models or others I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!
Matthew

Matthew,
I don't have an opinion on the units you mention. If you plan to heat exclusively with wood, though, I advise you to get your wood immediately. Before you get the insert.

Regards,

20 acres and a chainsaw. Already have some cut and not planning on burning till next winter, but thanks, from what I've read these EPA units need dry wood.

matthewblckwd said:
Hello to all,

I am seeking advice on which EPA rated fireplace to go with. Our home is 1200 sq. ft. and I would like to heat exclusively with wood. The models I like so far are the BIS fireplaces, Osburn Stratford, Quadrafire 7100 (maybe too big?), Magnum ZC, Kozy Heat Z42, Heat&Glow; Northstar, Acucraft Z-Max.
I definately know that I don't want the cat converter, and do want the lowest possible build cost. If anyone has anything to share on these models or others I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!
Matthew
I just installed a northstar and am very happy with it. It really puts out the heat. what kind of house/room are you putting this in.Wood must be very dry

Matthew,
I've got the Z-42. Had it now for several years and am very satisfied. I choose it because of clearance issues and cost. It takes a 6" chimney which are somewhat cheaper than the 8". Not too sure about the other ones you mentioned.

I have a bis ultima in my 2400sq foot house just for some relief.If I were heating full time with a fireplace I would go with the biggest Bis if you choose that brand.I have been very happy with mine,but I don't think it would realistically heat 1200 sq ft by itself,unless the house was completely open floor plan.

We have a BIS Nova, and it provides most of the heat for our 1600 sq ft house.

I think its one of the least expensive fireplace/stoves you'll find. And also one of the smallest for install dimensions.

Its a no-frills unit that is simple and effective. Plain flat steel door. Pre-installed blower.

I'm of the opinion that you CAN heat your 1200 sq ft house with a BIS Nova. We have hydronic oil furnace heat, and that only kicks on during the coldest nights in the heat zone farthest from the stove. We have to limit the amount of wood we load, or we get overheated near the stove. That thing really cranks the heat when the fire's rolling.

We got ours from FirePlacesNow.com. Smooth purchase, but not so great on a small warranty issue we had. Overall I'd give them a B as a supplier...but good pricing on the fireplace for sure. We bought the chimney parts locally, and that was cheaper (HVAC supply house, not stove shop).

I have a BIS Ultra and it will keep the Nat Gas furnace from coming on in our 2100 sq ft bungalow. Basement is fairly cool though. Really like it (I have rambled on about it here enough times). Our house is newer (5 years) and really well insulated and sealed. I would choose a SC BIS again for a built in. Get the blowers - they really should not be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.