ZC input needed, narrow my choices.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RJM6623

Dec 7, 2021
Central Ohio
Been lurking a while on this awesome forum and its been super helpful, but i would really appreciate some input from anyone regarding my choice of a new ZC to replace my old contractor grade fireplace.

My choices are limited based on physical size of the new unit due to my wall layout configuration. House is roughly 2600 SF. Great room where this unit will go is open to 2nd floor so basically 16ft high ceiling. It does have a celling fan to help move the air. This new ZC will be mostly secondary heat source, i have propane HVAC system but do plan to use ZC as much as possible to heat living areas. I do want heat dump into kitchen that shares common wall with the great room. I have outdoor air kit ability and currently.
I have eliminated all CAT ZC's as i do not want to deal with replacement cost and i want the look of the flame via reburn tubes.

My choices are:
Kozy Heat Albany
Heat & Glo Northstar
Heatilator Constitution
Quadra-Fire Pioneer II
Osburn Stratford 2

PLEASE share any experience / input / advice on any of these units, or one i may be missing.
Thank you!

I can tell you I bought a very lightly used Constitution and I love this thing. Same thing as the Northstar btw, just different fronts. This unit is in my great room with 20ft tall cathedral ceilings, 3200 sq ft and heats VERY well. No complaints at all.

I have the Kozy Heat Z42 which is basically identical to the Albany other than front looks. It’s been great for us if you search my post history. It uses a 6” insulated chimney pipe and some of the others you linked like the Northstar use an 8”.

On the heat dump, I would highly suggest looking into building your own heat dump and fan system using an inline duct fan over the usual fans used if you can make it accessible to service. They are quieter, move more air and should last longer. The one I installed in ours has a projected 67,000 hour life expectancy. You can see my post history for my setup I’m using if you have not come across it before.

Reactions: clancey
I'm just learning my Strattford II, but it heats pretty well. Have gotten reports from original Strattford owners that they get 8 hour cycles on full hardwood loads.

Just a suggestion, if the fireplace is primarily for evening and weekend fires then an E/W loader is fine. They often afford a wider view and take longer splits. If the fireplace is more for 24/7 heating, then also look at fireplaces that can also be loaded N/S.
I can tell you I bought a very lightly used Constitution and I love this thing. Same thing as the Northstar btw, just different fronts. This unit is in my great room with 20ft tall cathedral ceilings, 3200 sq ft and heats VERY well. No complaints at all.
The Heatilator Constitution-C is the same inside as the Quad Pioneer II, Majestic Warm Majic II, and the Northstar-C. They are all the new HHT line of EPA 2020 fireplaces.

Been lurking a while on this awesome forum and its been super helpful, but i would really appreciate some input from anyone regarding my choice of a new ZC to replace my old contractor grade fireplace.

My choices are limited based on physical size of the new unit due to my wall layout configuration. House is roughly 2600 SF. Great room where this unit will go is open to 2nd floor so basically 16ft high ceiling. It does have a celling fan to help move the air. This new ZC will be mostly secondary heat source, i have propane HVAC system but do plan to use ZC as much as possible to heat living areas. I do want heat dump into kitchen that shares common wall with the great room. I have outdoor air kit ability and currently.
I have eliminated all CAT ZC's as i do not want to deal with replacement cost and i want the look of the flame via reburn tubes.

My choices are:
Kozy Heat Albany
Heat & Glo Northstar
Heatilator Constitution
Quadra-Fire Pioneer II
Osburn Stratford 2

PLEASE share any experience / input / advice on any of these units, or one i may be missing.
Thank you!
Thanks everyone for the great information. Its really appreciated!!

Just a suggestion, if the fireplace is primarily for evening and weekend fires then an E/W loader is fine. They often afford a wider view and take longer splits. If the fireplace is more for 24/7 heating, then also look at fireplaces that can also be loaded N/S.

The Heatilator Constitution-C is the same inside as the Quad Pioneer II, Majestic Warm Majic II, and the Northstar-C. They are all the new HHT line of EPA 2020 fireplaces.
Is there really any difference between the Northstar, Constitution and Pioneer II other than looks? Its just the faceplates that are different really. Its basically the same manufacturer and firebox?

Is there really any difference between the Northstar, Constitution and Pioneer II other than looks? Its just the faceplates that are different really. Its basically the same manufacturer and firebox?
Correct. Amongst this group of HHT fireplaces most of the differences are trim. I haven't checked replacement parts to see if the blower motor is different.