Advice on woodstove purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arae

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
Upstate NY
A friend of ours is selling a 20+ yr old regency woodstove in fair condition. She told us that someone told her she could get 800-900 for the stove. She will sell it to us for "whatever", but I want to give her what is fair. What do you think? Thanks

That $800 - $900 figure is ridiculous! Depending on the size they're about $1300 to $2000 new for an EPA compliant version. Fair condition probably means some expense in refurb and it is still not state of the art.

Check out this site for some pricing data.

http://mitchelschimney.stores.yahoo.net/meclwost.html

Personally I think a twenty year old stove in less than great condition is a freebie....

Before you make any offer to your friend, have you checked with your city inspectors and your homeowners insurance company to see what they require? In our area, our city inspectors and insurance company require any wood stove we would install to be approved by one of the inspection companies (like UL, Warner Hershey, etc). Also, our city 'suggests' the stove carry an EPA approval. I think the hint from our city is that in the near future they will 'require' all stoves meet EPA approval. I believe the current EPA approval went into effect in the early 1990's which would mean the stove you are considering probably does not carry an EPA approval. It probably does carry an inspection entity approval though.

Shari

Your friend is likely expecting 800-900 for the stove which is why she gave you that figure. I would rather keep the friendship than make her an offer that she finds insulting. That plate steel stove isn't EPA certified and is not worth half of what she cleverly asked for it.

If the friendship is valuable, I'd pass on the offer completely. A 20+ yr old Regency is worth maybe $150-250 in excellent condition. Let us know what you are looking for and the size. There's a stove out there that won't cost a lot more (excluding installation) and you'll keep your friendship intact.

We have 2 stoves now. The older of the 2 is in our home and we call it "our first major appliance". We knew we wanted a woodstove and my husband was in favor of a yardsale special (they're cheap) but I put the kibosh on that for purely aesthetic reasons (it's a girl thing). It was going to be in our living area and I insisted it be SAFE, properly installed, and attractive. At the time (18 yrs. ago) we were ignorant of EPA regs.. I began looking at stoves and doing some research on them, while the husband rolled his eyes and grumbled about the prices. But he did come to agree that buying a quality stove was important since we'd have it for a long time.

Then he saw the Woodstock Fireview in one of the shops we visited, lol. "Now that's a good-lookin' stove", it was, of course, about twice what we'd budgetted for the purchase of a stove. We discussed it carefully for a few months all the while hording our shekels. I came home after a long day at work to find a crated stove on the trailer in front of the house. He and my BIL installed it the next day while I was at work.

In the nearly 18 yrs. it's been in our home I've NEVER been afraid of using it and smile every time I look at it. Nearly every first time visitor to our home remarks on it. We added a Woodstock Classic to the new studio last month. My point isn't to tell you it's the best stove out there, rather it's to counsel you to choose wisely and choose something that will be safe, efficient, and as easy on the environment as a woodstove can be. Remember that purchasing a stove is an investment in your home, safety, and comfort. Do your homework and take your time making your choice. There are many quality stoves offered for sale in "used" condition but you have to put in some time learning about them to be able to sniff out the "deal". This forum is excellent and you will get good advice.

AND - you can walk into Lowes and HD right now and get a decent stove for around that price.

I agree . . . I would pass on this "deal." While your friend may be willing to give you a deal in their own mind they most likely now believe this stove is worth $800-$900 . . . offering them less than that may jeopardize a friendship or they may sell it to you lower and then think you took advantage of them.

As mentioned, this stove isn't all that great due to the age . . . for the same amount or close to it you could get a newer, EPA stove.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I think that I am going to take the advice and skip the stove. Actually, we are looking for a stove for the basement. We just purchased a Lopi for our main living areas. This is our first year burning and we are so happy with the investment and the way it heats our home. We are going to rent our basement apt. to family to help pay the bills and are looking for an inexpensive way to heat that space. I have no intention on spending hundreds of dollars on a used wood stove. I am trying to talk my husband into buying one at lowes, but he is seeing only dollar signs. Thanks again for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it.

Sometimes you need to spend some $$ to get some $$. Your tenants deserve to be safe and comfortable. Do the basement stove right and don't go for the cheapest stove. Your well-being depends on this stove working properly and safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.