Advice please: Jotul or Alderlea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Forum,

We are new homeowners as of yesterday and would like to replace an old blackbox woodstove in our new home.

Main floor is open concept with kitchen and living room: 725 ft2
A tight staircase leads upstairs.
Upstairs is two small bedrooms and a bathroom: about 325 ft2
Our home office will be in one of the upstairs small bedrooms: we may open it up to be more loft-like, but the heat still has to flow up an enclosed stairwell.

Location: right on the Great Divide in the Great White North: Lake Louise. Winter lasts from Oct to April and temperatures can range from 15 to -5 F (-10 to -20C) for much of the winter, with occasional forays even colder.

The house: we are in the middle of a row of townhouses. Built 1994ish. Good insulation as far as we know.
The room: one exterior wall has a fairly large south window and twin balcony doors with glass. Near this window, the ceiling is vaulted for about 1/4 of the total bottom floor. See pictures.

The fuel: paper birch and pine or spruce from British Columbia. We are well aware of the many comments about dry wood for newer stoves and will be monitoring this carefully.

The chimney: interior for about 8 feet, then exterior in a chase for about 20 feet.

Lifestyle: we work at home on many days of the winter and would like a warm upstairs office. We don't like to get up early just to start a fire, so will be starting the fire when we do get up. Likely want to work about 1 hour later. The stove is meant to be used as secondary heat, but we would like it to get up and running within a reasonable time. We are willing to use propane forced air first thing in the morning to be comfortable, but would like the wood stove to heat the house for the most part during the day and evening and into some part of the night. We don't expect to burn overnight.

We have narrowed it down to Jotul (F3, Castine or Oslo) and Alderlea (T4 or T5).

We have understood that the Jotul's are pure cast iron and the Alderleas are cast iron jacketed steel stoves. I think we've understood that the Alderleas are more convective and the Jotuls more radiant.

Our installer and sales guy thinks radiant is better.

First issue: size, of course.
- It seems likely that the Castine is the right size, but... it sounds more finicky than the other two Jotuls. We are concerned with this being first time wood heaters. That is why the other two Jotuls are still on the list.
- If Alderlea, T4 or T5? We find this hard to judge and our installer isn't sure either.

Second issue: placement in the room.
- the current hearth is going and we'll be building a new one on the floor.
- ideally, for viewing and heating and room arrangement, we'd like it in the corner (right as you look at the stove in the picture). But this will necessitate a long pipe with two 90 degree bends (this is what our installer has recommended, over a 45 degree plunge towards the stove).
- we are worried that these bends in the pipe would create drafting and creosote problems - especially with the finicky Castine. Thoughts?

- the other, less preferred option, is to have the stove directly below the chimney. There will still be a bit of a bend in the pipe to bring it away from the wall, but it will be no problem.
- the downside of this placement is that in Alberta, we must have an outdoor air feed. There is an existing one that can come up from the basement, but... as far as we can tell... it would have to come up beside the hearth and feed over to the stove, which sounds very ugly. Punching a hole in the hearth would not be OK, but we still have to see if we can get it up the wall to come out of the wall behind the stove more seamlessly. Anybody know something about this?

- by the way, if you are knowledgeable... we've learned that the current installation is not to code. There will be a heat shield put in place behind the thimble and pipe dropping down into the room... don't worry.

Third issue: which kind of stove will fit our lifestyle and needs best - Jotul or Alderlea?
- I'm afraid the Alderleas will take too long to heat up in the morning. Should I be?
- Minor, but fun: we love the idea of being able to dry out our mitts on the shelves of the Alderlea... wet mitts are a big thing here. Does this actually work OK, or are the shelves too hot?
- We like Pacific Energy and their reputation.

We welcome all comments and thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

• Advice please:  Jotul or Alderlea
    P1000954.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 700
    P1000948.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 675
    P1000956.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 669
Reactions: mrpee
Based on closer clearances and the convective nature of the stove I would go with the Alderlea T5 as first choice. Second choice was the Oslo, but its side door needs to be locked in a corner installation.

I second the recommendation for the T5. The T4 is a dressed up Vista (I have the insert version), which is a great little stove, with the emphasis on little. Looking at that lofted area you need a little more firepower.

I would use the stove that came with the house this first winter and see what you like and don't like about the unit. It may be perfect or it may point you in the right direction.

Congratulations on your new home!

Chettt said:
I would use the stove that came with the house this first winter and see what you like and don't like about the unit. It may be perfect or it may point you in the right direction.

Congratulations on your new home!

How is your insulation? How well does the home retain heat? Do you have hard wood or softwood?

LakeLouiseLocal said:
@BeGreen: You seem to have a lot of experience with the Alderleas. How long will it take to heat that bottom floor each morning realistically?

That really depends on the night before's fire. Often the stove will be bringing the area up only a few degrees so it only takes an hour or so to warm up again those few degrees again. The stove's mass itself acts a bit like a heatsink.

LakeLouiseLocal said:
@BeGreen: You seem to have a lot of experience with the Alderleas. How long will it take to heat that bottom floor each morning realistically?
750 sq ft with a t5 will not take long with the right chimney and wood basing this off of my summit and a larger area.

Seems like the T5 would be the right fit for your application. I also agree with OldSpark that the T5 should have no problem heating that room up in the morning especially if you add the blower to help get the heat off of the stove quicker. I did notice you have vaulted ceilings over the stove and sometimes they can really trap alot of heat so hopefully you have a good ceiling fan up there to help push the hot air back down. The shelves on the T5 swingable shelves on the T5 can be moved inward or outward to allow whatever temperature you desire so there is no need to worry that they would be to hot for your gloves.

I have had both steel and cast iron stoves, and have rather a lot of experience with soapstone. The amount of radiant vs. convective heat off either a small steel or cast iron stove is too little to base a decision upon - my opinion.

However, If I understand the proposed location, it is an absolute killer for a Jotul Oslo. They are a left hand door stove. They do have a front door, of course, but no one loads through them - there are numerous threads on the Oslo's front door ash-dumping qualities.

I second the notion to try out what you have first. If nothing else you will gain a handle on how readily heat migrates up the stairs.

jotul8e2 said:
I have had both steel and cast iron stoves, and have rather a lot of experience with soapstone. The amount of radiant vs. convective heat off either a small steel or cast iron stove is too little to base a decision upon - my opinion.

However, If I understand the proposed location, it is an absolute killer for a Jotul Oslo. They are a left hand door stove. They do have a front door, of course, but no one loads through them - there are numerous threads on the Oslo's front door ash-dumping qualities.

I second the notion to try out what you have first. If nothing else you will gain a handle on how readily heat migrates up the stairs.

I disagree jotul8e2 there is huge difference between convective vs radiant heat in terms of comfort when hear the stove.. I am surprised you said that since you ran a DW at one time.. I know for a fact that my T-5 is easy to be around when it's cranking the heat out with the blower on unless your in front of the stove then it's radiant plus convective and easy bake oven time..

Ray

@BrowningBAR - all info we know is in original post.

We've pretty much decided to install the stove straight down from the chimney - no corner installation.

Question: the variable speed blower for the T5 is not well explained at Pacific Energy's site. Is it something you can turn on and off? Do you control the speed, or is it automatic?
Is blowing air out the front the only option or could it be set up to blow sideways (to send more up the stairs which will be immediately to the left of the stove)?
How noisy is it?

Many thanks for all the help so far - this forum and you guys/gals are incredibly helpful.

Yes, you can turn the blower on/off or let it do it by itself thermostatically. You also control the speed. It is a very quiet blower, it blows out of the front only. I don't think you will have any need for modification.

That said, you may not need one for your setup. I would get the stove and try it out with natural convection first. You can always attach a blower later. It's easy to install.

My comment about radiant vs. convection stoves had a important qualifier that may have been missed. My opinion is that the difference in the radiant heat or convective heat would not be the deciding factor in choosing between two small stoves. Say 2 cu. ft. or smaller. Again, that is just my opinion. And if you get a stove with a glass door you get a LOT of radiant heat right out the front whatever the rest of the stove is doing. Ask my cats.

By the way, I still run the Dutchwest. It is my only source of heat for my workshop.

BeGreen said:
Yes, you can turn the blower on/off or let it do it by itself thermostatically. You also control the speed. It is a very quiet blower, it blows out of the front only. I don't think you will have any need for modification.

That said, you may not need one for your setup. I would get the stove and try it out with natural convection first. You can always attach a blower later. It's easy to install.

BG my blower is either auto or manual (on) no off option.. I was surprised the rocker isn't 3 position auto-off-manual would be better than auto/manual.. Does your blower have an off position?

Ray

If you rotate the speed control counter-clockwise all the way it should click to the switched off position.

jotul8e2 said:
My comment about radiant vs. convection stoves had a important qualifier that may have been missed. My opinion is that the difference in the radiant heat or convective heat would not be the deciding factor in choosing between two small stoves. Say 2 cu. ft. or smaller. Again, that is just my opinion. And if you get a stove with a glass door you get a LOT of radiant heat right out the front whatever the rest of the stove is doing. Ask my cats.

By the way, I still run the Dutchwest. It is my only source of heat for my workshop.

At 2 cu. ft. I consider that medium and I agree with the front of the stove being radiant but the rest is convective more than my CDW ever was.. The CDW was radiant on both sides and the front was convective and radiant, the back was radiant but at a reduced rate due to the air space between the firebox and the outer cast iron.. I find the T-5 to be better as a convective stove and the blower is much quieter and moves the air much better from the front as well as the sides than the CDW plus the T-5 sides are much cooler usually around 200 degrees.. Radiant stoves heat objects with little heating of the air compared to convection stoves which do both but less with radiance.. Just my 2 cents..

Ray

BeGreen said:
If you rotate the speed control counter-clockwise all the way it should click to the switched off position.

Great BG thanx never tried that.. Gonna look right now..

Ray

Hi Forum members,

I wanted to update you as to how this project turned out. Thanks again for the great advice!

We bought an Alderlea T5 classic (black enamel). It works beautifully! We are very happy. We have been burning it for over 4 months and it successful heats the space. We haven't tried it in the depths of our winter yet, but even it we have to keep it at full crank during that time, I'm pretty sure it will work.

Note the purchase of a large ecofan that we keep on the surface. It very successfully moves the warm air to the left of the beam and eliminates the buildup of hot air under the vaulted ceiling. I've been amazed at its ability to change the air flow dynamic. First we point it to the other side of the main floor and once we're warm there, we point it to send the air up the stairs.

All the very best from us here in Lake Louise.

Advice please:  Jotul or AlderleaAdvice please:  Jotul or Alderlea

Thanks for the update and pictures. That's a nice looking setup and a gorgeous stove.

Thats a great looking spot for the stove and looks like it will heat you upstairs perfectly.
Stove looks fine.
Lake Louise is a beautiful place, you must be very happy there. I was there as a tourist many years ago.
Is your home well insulated? (I ask this because we are looking at an Oslo for a slightly smaller area, but it is for a cold house (2' stone walls, in a very windy area))

"Thanks for the update and pictures. That's a nice looking setup and a gorgeous stove."

Bingo! I don't remember seeing one of these in enamel. Very nice.
A recliner right in front of that thing would keep me happy for a while.:cool:

Very nice installation.

Very nice looking install and of course I love the stove! You will enjoy that T5 for years to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.