Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, that is the perfect fire nice glowing cat I would say your 1000+.

Thanks I will definitely check the probe and see if I can adjust it.

Does the fan run past the cat? Is it possible for it to be taking heat away or is that what you mean that it may not be inserted correctly and that's why I see such a significant drop when I turn it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I will definitely check the probe and see if I can adjust it.

Does the fan run past the cat? Is it possible for it to be taking heat away or is that what you mean that it may not be inserted correctly and that's why I see such a significant drop when I turn it on?

So I took the face plate off and this is what I see. 384a0f19bba8e0cb5cadb1863f78d1be.jpg069b7185812003b717f42523403f24f1.jpgb6a150230c7fd575562a468f2fa7c191.jpg

Is it installed correctly or can you not tell from these pics?

In my opinion there is something wrong with the probe that goes into the stove or it's not in the stove properly. No way that temp is 450 and your cat is glowing like that...I would say your 1000+.
I shoulda caught that this AM in post 946...that thing is crankin'! ;em If there's any way to see where the end of the probe is, it should be about 1/2" from the cat face.

I shoulda caught that this AM in post 946...that thing is crankin'! ;em If there's any way to see where the end of the probe is, it should be about 1/2" from the cat face.

I don't know of a way to see that nor do I know how long the probe was before installed. I can't get it out of the hole either to see. I tried shoving it in a bit more but it is not budging.

I took pictures of the top and where the liner goes up the chimney. I guess I really need a block off plate and an insulated liner.

9eb407c9ef590adebe04d4e81bbb35f4.jpg

e24153fd1c2580fdfc73284df8fb1496.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the probe should be in a little more. What think is happening the probe is still near to the chamber where the air flows from the fan when you turn the fan on it cools the probe.

I think the probe should be in a little more. What think is happening the probe is still near to the chamber where the air flows from the fan when you turn the fan on it cools the probe.

You have the probe too correct? Does it look like the right place just needs down further? I can't get it in anymore. I tried lightly with a hammer but it didn't budge. How long is the probe so I can tell if it is in at all.

I grew with what is happening. Can I insulate it with anything ?

I just saw the picture showing the probe from the top that probe should be completely in the small hole it's not inside the stove I think from the way it looks.The cat is inside the stove the air flows between the stove and the second sheet of metal so when you turn on the fan the probe gets cooler from the fan. If you can't get the probe in pull it out and drill the hole a little bigger. When the installer put it in he or she had to use the correct drill bit the instructions say which bit to use to shave a little off so the probe goes in. If it's too loose just add aluminum foil to make it tighter. But that probe needs to go inside the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the picture showing the probe from the top that probe should be completely in the small hole it's not inside the stove I think from the way it looks.The cat is inside the stove the air flows between the stove and the second sheet of metal so when you turn on the fan the probe gets cooler from the fan. If you can't get the probe in pull it out and drill the hole a little bigger. When the installer put it in he or she had to use the correct drill bit the instructions say which bit to use to shave a little off so the probe goes in. If it's to loss just add aluminum foil to make it tighter. But that probe needs to go inside the stove.

I thought so too when I looked at it but the instructions say it should be 3 inches out. So I wasn't sure what to do.

5d39d69ed93ee33b90387b4f9b9a6b61.jpg

It won't go in any further? I do see metal shavings that makes me think the installer did drill.

I think they mean 3" should go inside, i.e., take the probe out, measure and mark 3" from the tip of the probe and then insert it to that point.

I can't get it to budge which tells me the hole isn't big enough. I will work on getting it fixed soon. Need to find some help to get the stove out to redrill.

I haven't been able to mess with the temperature probe yet. But my moisture meter came and I tested all the wood I put in today and it was 4-15%.

I also got an IR thermometer since the cat thermometer is not working correctly right now. I am curious if anyone else has an IR thermometer and what their readings are around the unit during the burn cycle so I can figure out how to adjust my burns until I can fix the cat thermometer.

At 450 I show 340 on IR

I know the glass doesn't properly measure but just to confirm you are shooting at the cat when you take these measurements, correct?

At 650. I am reading 625 on IR

Yes I am, my glass may be little more dirty that can affect the number. Your thermometer may be getting a decent reading it's the fan that lowers the temp.

At 650. I am reading 625 on IR

I am trying some north south splits today. There is a mix in there cause my wood is not split right to fit it all in one direction but the fan kicked on at 700 and brought the cat temp to 650 then to 600. But IR thermometer is show 650-680. I have air all the way down. da0bedc78087fea52dd84feb03361f68.jpg

Yes I am, my glass may be little more dirty that can affect the number. Your thermometer may be getting a decent reading it's the fan that lowers the temp.

My glass is dirty in the lower right and left corners so where I am measuring up to the cat it is fairly clean.

I am trying to go more by the fire than the temps on the cat thermometer for now. I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.