Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read through all 37 pages, thank you for the history. I am left with a few question. I had my fire stove installed this spring and just lit my first fire a week ago to break it in. I learned a lot reading through the thread so I think it cut my learning curve way down but I can see it is going to take another 10 to 15 fires to really get it down. I am happy to report that the future looks bright as I had a fire last night with a less than half box and got over 8 hours of heat. So a couple of questions;

How or when does the auto fan turn on? Last fire was at 700 in 10 minutes, closed the cat and was at 1100 for the next 25 minutes and it still did not kick on (it was a beautiful fire, didn't even look like the wood was burning, was running on smoke). Was going to wait longer but I have the patience of a 4 year old so I turned it on. Once I turn it on I switch it back to auto and it stays on and turns off when it is cold.

My door swings open when unlatched, is that normal? I have to prop a kettle bell next to it to keep it cracked open at the start of a fire.

When removing washers they are taken from the latch end and not the door hinge? Dollar test good on all side except the top.

This is a 2 part question. Stove has to be at 500 before engaging the cat (not sure if I could properly manage this stove without the temp gauge) I usually wait until 700 to engage as this stove gets hot fast. When the temp falls below 500 the cat no long works? I can't tell from chimney smoke because when it falls below 500 at the end of the burn it is just coals and they burn pretty clean. At the end of a burn when it is running below 500 and I am not going to reload should I disengage the cat?

From a cold start there will be a delay before the blower comes on. This is to allow the full stove body to come up to temperature. It sounds like it was right on the threshold of switching on when it was done manually.

Check the level of the unit. It may be higher in the rear (or too low in front) which could cause the door to swing open. If so, there are leveling bolts to adjust level. See page 13 of the manual for instructions.

When performing the dollar bill test is there a little tension on the top of the door gasket? If yes that could be ok. If it is loose then it may need adjusting. The shims are under the latch.
Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.54.13 AM.png
It's ok to leave the bypass closed when the stove cools down.

It went down to 30s last night and I was able to load it back up early this morning. Still kicking good heat. Was curious how I should circulate the air from this room. I have cathedral ceilings and leave the fans on medium in that room but the room is on the far end of the house. I know I won't get the heat upstairs but wanted to warm more rooms on the main floor with the insert. I read placing a fan in the room directing the colder air from the other side of the house into this room. Is that correct? I have a box fan and I turned it on low and placed it in the entryway to this room but not sure it is doing anything. Any suggestions?

I noticed that I still don't get the temp very hot. Got it to about 800 and slowly took air control to half and then 3/4 closed. It's down to about 600 now. The cat is glowing but not as bright as before. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a cold start there will be a delay before the blower comes on. This is to allow the full stove body to come up to temperature. It sounds like it was right on the threshold of switching on when it was done manually.

Check the level of the unit. It may be higher in the rear (or too low in front) which could cause the door to swing open. If so, there are leveling bolts to adjust level. See page 13 of the manual for instructions.

When performing the dollar bill test is there a little tension on the top of the door gasket? If yes that could be ok. If it is loose then it may need adjusting. The shims are under the latch.
View attachment 185804
It's ok to leave the bypass closed when the stove cools down.

Thank you for your help. I adjusted the door and it doesn't swing any more.

I am very happy with the operation of my unit so far. The one thing I need a little help with is the glass. It is getting fouled badly every burn. I did see somewhere in a thread that if you have burns with the flue shut or almost shut, which I do, that it will foul but after 2 burns you can barely see thru the top of the glass. Someone also said a hot fire would burn it off and I have had 1000+ degrees numerous times and it doesn't burn it off. I bought some "fireplace" glass cleaner and that was worthless. I have to scrap it everytime and it doesn't come off with out a fight. Any thoughts?

Someone also said a hot fire would burn it off and I have had 1000+ degrees numerous times and it doesn't burn it off.
:eek: Where are you measuring temperature and how?

So this is the cat temp reading right? If so, that's fine and not too hot. You might try taking it up to 1200 to see if that helps. Is the wood fully seasoned? Maybe start a conversation with some CI2600 owners like Wolves1 for comparative results and solutions?

So this is the cat temp reading right? If so, that's fine and not too hot. You might try taking it up to 1200 to see if that helps. Is the wood fully seasoned? Maybe start a conversation with some CI2600 owners like Wolves1 for comparative results and solutions?

It is the cat temp. The wood reads 20% or less but I think the wood needs to be closer to 15% with this stove. What about bark? Does hold water longer? I am burning mainly oak with maybe 20% of the wood still having bark on it. I will contact wloves1, oddly enough I think he lives within a mile of my house, small world.

If you can get hold of some truly dry wood to test with that will help. When you are reading the wood moisture is this on the freshly split face of the wood and is the wood at room temp?

Sorry been busy. The moisture reading Is that outside the wood or do you split the wood and take the reading in the center on the inside? If you burn hot and the main air is mostly closed that won't help clean the glass the air needs to be opened so you have airwash moving over the glass and it takes time. If you want to clean the glass manually get a spray bottle spray water on the glass take paper towel spray the paper towel dip the paper towel in the ash and start cleaning with circular motion once and while spray more water and more ash. I live in Malverne NY if you live nearby I'm happy to help.

Hello

I am about to buy a Regency CI2600, but would really like to see one operating before I take the plunge. Do any of you live near Boulder or Denver and be willing to show me your insert operating? Many thanks.

I just got done re-reading all of the pages for the second time. I am still not holding consistent cat temperatures. I may get to 800. But once I put the fan on and close it down the temps drop down. After a few hours I am at 500 and I know it will continue to decrease. The unit is on one side of the house and chimney is 25 ft high on the outside of the house. There is no insulation other than all the firebrick around the unit and the liner is not insulated. What I noticed is that the installer lifted the unit in the fireplace and there is an open area underneath the fireplace. I took pictures so you can see what I mean but do you think this could cause my issue of the temp not staying up? 4bd0f23422e152aea12cca410b437758.jpgcc9e3f7a5b665b5ce920cf5ded5b0d30.jpgae89c4105c3b95ab1c018d6a23c2b75d.jpgdf17030e32eb58156ef3d77876d11581.jpg5841478f6d725943466eceac7e52ebf9.jpg

How much wood are you putting in? What's the moisture content of the wood? If you don't have a moisture meter how long have you had the wood?

I don't have a moisture meter. About a year and a half or 2 years old. Has been in the house about a year. It's loaded about 2/3 to 3/4 full.

I had hot coals this morning and the fan was still running with some warm air Still at 6am. I last loaded it at 5pm. I racked the coals around and they glowed. Added some kindling and after the fire ignited I added a medium log and let that burn for a few minutes and then loaded in a few more pieces of wood. After a few more minutes I closed the door.

Here it is burning with the door open.

Here it is after a few moments of the door closed

Cat temp is at 450. Waiting for it to get hotter before I close the bypass. But it seems to take a while to get to that temp. I've engaged the cat at 500 or up to 600 or 650 but my temps drop and it never seems to get hot enough like others post on here. I have not seen over 800 on mine. Maybe I am not patient enough or maybe I am worried about the cat temp too much. I don't know.

I've seen varying advice on closing the air down some before closing the bypass. Or closing the bypass first and then start lowering the air. What do you suggest?

I closed the bypass at 550 and left the air on high. It is climbing now to 700 as I type this. I am going to lower the air at 750.

Here is the video right after I closed the bypass.

At 800 degrees I turned the fan on low and it immediately dropped to 750. After a few moments it dropped to 700.

It's down to 550. I opened the air a bit. Maybe 1/4 open and here is the video. I see the flames in the back by the bypass opening. The bypass is closed so I wasn't sure if I should any flames back there or not. I did verify before any fires the last few days when it was cold that it opens and shuts correctly as far as I can tell.

In my opinion there is something wrong with the probe that goes into the stove or it's not in the stove properly. No way that temp is 450 and your cat is glowing like that. I have question for you how did you get the video on here?

In my opinion there is something wrong with the probe that goes into the stove or it's not in the stove properly. No way that temp is 450 and your cat is glowing like that. I have question for you how did you get the video on here?

Thanks. I will take a look at the probe installation and see if something is wrong. Could the probe not be working properly too and may need to be replaced?

I use an app on my phone called Tapatalk and subscribe to the forum through it. When I post I can add pictures and videos from the app. Hope that helps. We can trade IT advice for insert advice. :)

Thank you, that is the perfect fire nice glowing cat I would say your 1000+.

Status
Not open for further replies.