Advice...two stoves and location placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TravisNY

Nov 14, 2018
Clinton Corners, NY
Hey guys, I’ve been reading a lot on this forum page so I figured it was time for me to join. I’ve got two wood stoves and I’m trying to figure out which one to use and where to put it.

The long and short of it is, I’ve owned my house since March of 2017 and spent over $5,000 on oil and that’s not keeping the house hot (by my wife’s standards, heat is usually at 68).

My mother and stepfather gave me a small Home Depot wood stove that they had in their rental house (roughly 1200 sq ft), and it did a good job heating (or at least supplementing the heat) in that house so I figured why not at least try it in mine.

A little info about my house...about 2000 sq ft. L shaped one level ranch. The original structure (built in 1952) is about 40x20 with a basement and the addition (built in 2003?) is a little bigger than 50x20 with 14’ cathedral ceilings, just a crawl space under it and connected to a one car garage.

So we took the wood stove from mom and hooked it up into the flue in the uninsulated basement and got the fire burning for a couple hours and it definitely put off some heat, but just about all of it was absorbed by the foundation and no heat made it upstairs, honestly it hardly heated the basement and it was over 40 degrees outside.

So after waiting a couple hours (I’m very patient haha) and realizing that stove wasn’t going to work in that spot I decided to buy a used VC defiant model 1945 with the intention of putting it upstairs in the addition (would be located in 20x20 living room).

Not realizing how much space I need for that stove to be hooked up with all the clearances needed, I’m turning to you guys for advice... Do I hook the VC up in the basement and hope it makes it to the addition? Do I hook the Home Depot stove up in the addition? Do I hook the VC up in the addition and hope we don’t get baked out? I just can’t take this heating bill anymore and need some type of supplemental heat source.

Thanks,
Travis

what is the home depot stove? an uninsulated basement as you've seen is a heck of a heat sink, i don't think the vc will do any better in that case

An uninsulated basement is going to lose about 30%+ of the heat through the walls. That means 1 cord out of 3 will be heating mother nature. Insulating the basement walls will make a huge difference. The Defiant in good working order will put out a lot of heat. It's a big stove that could overwhelm a 20x20 space pretty quickly unless there is a way to move the heat to other parts of the house. The little Century might be a better fit there. The Defiant would be better in the basement, or for a cleaner burner with a nice fire view the Englander 30-NC would be a good choice.

I made it work with the defiant. I put it in the entryway to my house against a back wall. Floor is already safe, it’s right in the middle of my open floor plan, and made all the clearances. Burning my first fire in it now and things seem to be going good so far

I made it work with the defiant. I put it in the entryway to my house against a back wall. Floor is already safe, it’s right in the middle of my open floor plan, and made all the clearances. Burning my first fire in it now and things seem to be going good so far

Well that was quick, did this involve a full chimney setup?

It did. I mentioned in my first post that sometimes I lack patience haha I woke up 2:30 yesterday morning and did a bunch of research, posted in here, did some more research and measurements, bought the chimney kit and have everything installed and operable by 8:30 last night. Not that I had much of a choice after I cut a hole in the roof haha were expecting snow within the next couple hours

Last edited by a moderator: