advise on optimum heat from regency i-2400 medium insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Hey guys, hoping you could give some advise. I have a regency medium size insert. The chimney for the fireplace is in the middle of the house so its an interior chimney. I dont have a block off plate or insulation above the stove. The stove is installed correctly with a 6 inch liner all the way up. I just want to make sure I have done everything I could to crank out the most heat I can. Oh my wood is split and stacked 2 full summers already. What else should I do. I have read that a block off plate is not necessary if its an interior chimney.

Adding a block off plate will keep more heat in the fireplace cavity. It's not necessary but can help, even in an interior chimney, especially if the chimney is entirely enclosed through the house. In some houses like ours where the chimney was enclosed, a lot of the heat just vented up the gap surrounding the masonry and into the attic which is vented to outdoors. If the chimney is exposed, you'll benefit from radiant heat from the chimney masonry.

Sounds like you have covered the bases with good dry wood. How tall is the liner connected to the insert? Do you have a thermometer on it and if you do what temps are you getting on the stove?

I have a Hampton HI300, which I think is a sister unit. There are others with our type inserts; you could do a search, including the 300. I've only had mine since the Spring, so I don't have much experience. I think it doesn't take so much to get it overheated. You can see it glow red when it does in the slot where the warmed air comes out. It happened to me once, and it was very quick. I have to get used to using only the one control rod, instead of the two that my Quadrafire had. That's not to say that the top of my of my Quad didn't get red either, I might just not have known it because I couldn't see it.

I said it in another thread, I think the fact we can load our inserts front to back makes a difference in the amount of wood you can pack in there.

I'm looking forward to a full winter of burning with the new insert, and so should you!

Status
Not open for further replies.