After 24 Hrs & new load - W/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weighing the wood ( 4 Jags). Alaska Birch; no idea of the moisture content (2 -1/2 yrs, CSS, in a covered shed, in the wood box by the stove fro 6 days now)
We numbered the splits with a pencil; weighed each piece & I'll record which #s go in; get the weight & total it up
I had help
Wife says I'm nuts: "What did you do tonight? We weighed our fire wood " "ha ha ha"
My helper is doing the math & recording the data, ,operating the scale. :) Lots more serious too.
Biggest is 11.2 lbs (the rectangular split) the one on the scale is 10.4#, several small ones around 2 lbs

Attachments

• After 24 Hrs & new load - W/pics
    100_6882.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 364
New load after 24 hours: (not all from above pic fit)
81.2 lbs of Birch (here you go Jags) (Ping pong eh? ) :)
Hot coals left. Could have burned them down more but Granddaughter wanted to help load & add up the wood so a 1015 p.m. we loaded it up.
T L: Coals from 24 hours ago of wood
T Mid: new load (can see her Numbers on some of them)
T R: Bypass closed, cat getting hot
B L Stat to low burn
B Mid,: No flash, cat glowing (this is what I see when I look down to check the stove with no lights on , the orange glow from the cat.

Attachments

100_6884.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 356
    100_6886.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 351
    100_6890.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 341
    100_6897.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 350
    100_6900.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 341
HighHeat22 said:
I am just drooling. What is a good average price for one of these BK ultra's. I have an old stove non cat and am lucky to get 5 hours on it. I just can't imagine. So what do these go for usually.

I bought mine in Jackson. I paid $2450, but the QC checklist in it was dated 2006. Been in the showroom for five years. I actually called to price a Chinook and Princess, and they were around $4k, give or take. Word is that BK's contract is up with their eastern distributor in a year or so, and we might see prices ease on this side of the country. I'd say wait, or keep your eyes open. There are deals to be found.

north of 60 said:
I was one of the 1st ones to post about having a newer BK on this site a few years ago. All I got was I was full of BS at the time.
Left the site a few times and mumbled IGNORANT so and so,s after a few comment's made to me. I was doubted in every way. Thanks again for posting Dave and the rest also for sharing. Nice to have a few on my side. Glad I stuck around to see this.
Cheers

I remember those days but you got to admit 40+ burns for a wood stove sounds pretty unbelievable when no other stove even comes close. I was even sceptical of Woodstock's claims but became a believer of the magic of the cat once I bought one. I just wish Woodstock would incorporate a Blaze King thermostat into their stoves soon before you guys talk me into going back to steel.

I paid $3416, three weeks ago, in Virginia, for my Princess Ultra. That includes 5% state sales tax. There wasn't much difference between the Princess and King. My 6" flue made that choice very quick.

A couple of online prices I saw were $2600 and change. That's the price range I was hoping to hear when I walked into the local stove shop BK directed me to. And when he first pulled out the catalog that's exactly what the stove was - $2600 and change for the Parlor model stove (not the Ultra). My heart jumped for joy.

Alas. Turns out you have to buy the door separately. That was three bills plus. And then the side shields and rear fan kit and tax were another few hundred. I was cringing mightily by the time he added it all up.

Ever been in that place where you've already decided - you've committed - that you're going to do something?

After spending ten days reading all the glowing reports here on the BK stoves, that was the place I was in. I had to have one of those stoves.

"Go ahead and order it, I said." Even knowing I was not yet done - that delivery (I was well outside this store's normal customer delivery range) and fancy double-wall stovepipe still waited to hit my wallet.

Best decision I ever made...

Jeff_t where did you buy your stove at in jackson I am about 1 hour from there. Compared to the amount of wood I use in my stove now its about double compared to the BK. That is a huge difference and enough of one to make me want to get a new stove. I will run with what I have for rest of this season but will look into getting a new stove for next season. My main concern would be the chimney I have a 6" inch black pipe inside which converts into selkirk 8" outside and this is only its second season. But the selkirk outside probably has a what 6" ID with the triple wall. I sure would not want to have to buy another chimney its very costly so does the princess model have a 6" chimney and the BK ultra have a 8" chimney.

I got quoted about $3200-$3400 yesterday, depending on what i buy, here in Southern Md. I think they are pretty standard.
I've got a price list for the Princess:
Ultra - Includes Side Shields, Blowers & Ash Drawrer (door options available)
Parlor - Includes Black Cast Iron Legs, Other features Optional - Optional Ash Drawrer (door opotions available)
Classic - Includes Body Only (got to get the rest of the stove.....just like the Johnny Cash song...One Piece At A Time :)

Stove Body - Need One
Ultra Body - $2769 and included options
Parlor Body - $2769 and Included options
Classic Body - $2673
Door - Need one - Required
Black Door with glass - $341
Gold Plated Door with glass - $532 (must use real gold)
Satin Steel door with Glass - $532
Solid Black door no Glass $341
Decrotive Rails - Need one- Required
Black - $21
Gold, Satin, Onyx - $60
Optional Leg kit for Parlor Stove
Gold Plated - $521
Satin Steel - $521
Onyx - $521
Optional Accessories
Rear Shield (required for mobile home installation) - $109
Side Shields (required for mobile home installation) - $123
Leg Anchor Kit (required for mobile home installation) - $19
Fresh air kit (requried for mobile homes) - $ 101
Convection deck hood over back of stove) - $119
Ash Pan for Parlor Stove - $130
Pot holder (pressure mounted Round Side Shelf) - $28
Wood Stove Firestarter Disk - $15

Thought this might give some insight into the priceing......In my case, I would get the Ultra Body that gives me the blower, ash bin and side shields at $2769 then have to get the door for the additional $341 bringing it to $3110...throw in a couple of side rails at $21.00 ($42) and and the $0.06 sales tax ($186) and it totals to about $ 3328.00. A little pricey but less wood overall during a season, longer burn times and less trips up and down the stairs to the basement.....PRICELESS!

cass

Well, the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Personally I don't think those prices are so bad if you think long term. Eventually it's going to pay for itself in heating savings and firewood usage. It may take longer to pay off than an Englander NC30 but worth it in the long run imo.

Dave

All I can say is that you are a cheating with that stove! Its just not right to only have to load a stove every 24 hrs. I was totally fed up with your claims yesterday. But I feel better about it today looking at the BK King sitting in the back of my truck. Since its well know I'm a cheater I had to get one. Thanks for the post it pushed me from my furnace is a wood hog and I should get a new stove. Into going out and getting one.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip last week. I'm not as good as you are at dealing and I had to give $3000 for it but I got it and am happy I did. I don't know how I am going to get it in the basement. But if I have to take a chainsaw and cut a hole in the floor to drop it in I will do it and fix the floor latter!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
But I feel better about it today looking at the BK King sitting in the back of my truck.

Congrats and welcome to the dark side.

Cowboy Billy said:
Dave

All I can say is that you are a cheating with that stove! Its just not right to only have to load a stove every 24 hrs. I was totally fed up with your claims yesterday. But I feel better about it today looking at the BK King sitting in the back of my truck. Since its well know I'm a cheater I had to get one. Thanks for the post it pushed me from my furnace is a wood hog and I should get a new stove. Into going out and getting one.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip last week. I'm not as good as you are at dealing and I had to give $3000 for it but I got it and am happy I did. I don't know how I am going to get it in the basement. But if I have to take a chainsaw and cut a hole in the floor to drop it in I will do it and fix the floor latter!

Billy

Let me know if you need a hand. I'm home a lot.

Cowboy Billy said:
But I feel better about it today looking at the BK King sitting in the back of my truck.

Suddenly we all want BK's, 24 hour burns on birch, yup, I just became a fan ;-)

Thanks S&W

I'm ready!

Thanks Jeff

I got it sitting on the deck now under a tarp. I did some measuring and if I take the door and ash lip off it will make it down the stairway with a inch to spare. I will put a temporary header in the stairwell with a one come along to lift it and a second to handle side travel and should be able to lower it down the stairs fairly easily.

Billy

Thanks everyone.
Remember cat stoves come with a few extra learning curves. For me anyway.
Drier wood than you think. Really dry wood if you want low temp burns.
Near "air tight" flue system, double wall from stove to chimney for most set ups is helpful. The stove pipe on low burns is just "real warm" so you can't lose much heat or your draft suffers. I can hold my hand on mine on low burns. My "thru wall" basement set up was choking the draft, I had to go with 2 45°s & shorten the horizontal run to the chimney & seal the pipe connections to get "low burn" performance. (Straight up from the stove works best but I didn't have that option)
Some test show that the combustor should be replaced about every 3 - 4 year depending on hours burned per year. (12,000 hours ) ($330 for mine here)
You should only burn good clean dry wood, no trash or metals etc to get good catalytic performance.
You shouldn't open your stove with the bypass closed & shock the combustor with cold air, open the bypass for a minute to let it cool slow, the open the door.
All these seem to be the norm for me now, but had to learn some of them the hard way.
The really dry wood, well, that means really dry wood. hard one for me to learn until I burned really dry wood, what a difference it made. 2 yr + seasoned birch for me now, 1 yr burned ok,; 2yr old +, it purrrrrrrrrs.
Some combustor tips:
http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/maintenance.html

Have fun
Congrats to those getting a new stove. I'm a believer in the cat stoves, & my BK is still cranking heat from last nights load, haven't even checked on it since last night after we loaded it with 81.2 lbs of "REAllY DRY" birch. :)
Probably has blackened glass again, I'll burn that off next week, to get cold again.

Dave
You ought to email this thread to every BK dealer in the country and you could become their poster child. No telling what kind of freebies they might send your way. %-P

WoodpileOCD said:
Dave
You ought to email this thread to every BK dealer in the country and you could become their poster child. No telling what kind of freebies they might send your way. %-P

Thanks Woodpile.

I'm just showing how I burn,
I truly believe many of the newer cat stoves are good ones
Most of what I've posted here I've learned here. ( I had lots to learn)

"We burn wood, & this is how to do it" "got a problem? here's some ideas & solutions" :zip:

If BK gives anything away free; it should be a load of "good dry wood" with each stove (a week after their first burn) & this web address to help new owners learn to burn wood.

Thanks again.
better?

Yea, that comment was kind of tongue in cheek but as you can see from the smiley, the tongue didn't quite get all the way in the cheek. :)

+ a bunch on all your comments in the last post.

Battenkiller said:
Jags said:
bogydave said:
Your gonna have to visit me in the Looney farm :)

No problem. Thats where I am posting from.

Edit: It looks like Pook and BK are getting ready for a ping-pong match, gotta go.

Ping-pong? Heck, with you, me, BogyDave and Pook, all we need is one more and we can form a basketball team like in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos's Nest". I kinda look like Danny DeVito in real life, but I call dibs on the Jack Nicholson part anyway. After all, I'm the only one here faking my insanity. ;-P
BK, That gave me a really good laugh!.......Thanks ;-P And Dave, that is absolutely incredible. I bet you get bored. Hell, I would forget to load the stove at all after that long :bug:

Woodpile

Your are right
I've learned,
maybe I have a career in politics. NOT!
Rainy, yucky day, so I have time to type.
But the pics of the load & burn were from the hearth :lol: LOL

bogydave said:
Thanks everyone.
Remember cat stoves come with a few extra learning curves. For me anyway.
Drier wood than you think. Really dry wood if you want low temp burns.
Near "air tight" flue system, double wall from stove to chimney for most set ups is helpful. The stove pipe on low burns is just "real warm" so you can't lose much heat or your draft suffers. I can hold my hand on mine on low burns. My "thru wall" basement set up was choking the draft, I had to go with 2 45°s & shorten the horizontal run to the chimney & seal the pipe connections to get "low burn" performance. (Straight up from the stove works best but I didn't have that option)
Some test show that the combustor should be replaced about every 3 - 4 year depending on hours burned per year. (12,000 hours ) ($330 for mine here)
You should only burn good clean dry wood, no trash or metals etc to get good catalytic performance.
You shouldn't open your stove with the bypass closed & shock the combustor with cold air, open the bypass for a minute to let it cool slow, the open the door.
All these seem to be the norm for me now, but had to learn some of them the hard way.
The really dry wood, well, that means really dry wood. hard one for me to learn until I burned really dry wood, what a difference it made. 2 yr + seasoned birch for me now, 1 yr burned ok,; 2yr old +, it purrrrrrrrrs.
Some combustor tips:
http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/maintenance.html

Have fun
Congrats to those getting a new stove. I'm a believer in the cat stoves, & my BK is still cranking heat from last nights load, haven't even checked on it since last night after we loaded it with 81.2 lbs of "REAllY DRY" birch. :)
Probably has blackened glass again, I'll burn that off next week, to get cold again.

Dave

Thanks for the tips on how to burn and making sure the pipe is tight. I still have a 1/4 tone of coal to burn up but I can't wait to get the new King going!! Just looking at it this baby is built! Two layers of fire brick in the bottom. The floor of the stove is 8" below the door so when it coals down they won't spill out the door. Shields in the sides and back that keep the wood from laying on the sides and back so that their is good air travel around the wood to the combuster. No wonder why its called the King!

bILLY

I have never heard of this place when I bought my stove.

I just went to the stove shop and the Blaze King was one of the cheaper stoves they had. I had heard talk about fire bans on non cat stoves (happens in Fairbanks I guess) so I wanted a CAT stove.... then the T Stat was a plus. A guy that was getting a part for his stove said he would load up the stove in the morning before leaving for work and it would still be going when he got home in the evening. That sold me.

BK Ultra Princess with a nickle door and blower kit was just over $3k. I read a few posts in this thread that the door doesn't come with the stove? Where I got mine the price tag was with the black door and the gold or nickle door was $200 something extra.

All right, now that I am back to the Bat Cave, when I have time I will look at the fuel load and see what that means to me (In MY situation). Thanks, Dave.

I carefully placed 98 lbs of seasoned (dry) oak and hard maple in my king last winter in one load. I weighed each piece on kitchen scales right to the ounce, wrote down the weight for each piece, and added them up.

I am regularly doing 24 + hour burns right now. My longest cycle was 36 hours, it doesn't make very much heat, but it's enough for milder days, and the cat probe stays in the active zone.

We had some friends over last weekend, they all burn wood. I told them I hadn't filled it since the previous night (22 hours ago), it was full of coals, stovetop 350-400°F ; they were very impressed (maybe amazed is a better word). I had told them about the long burns, but not sure they were sold on my claims. Seeing is believing; one of the guests just bought a new stove last year and now says he wished he had gotten a BK instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.